Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project: Adventure Van

We got ourselves a van. Instead of spraying a bunch of pics in random threads, I'm gonna just dump it all here...

The Van:

2017 Sprinter 170" WB. 4x4.

The Plan:

1. Build a 4 season adventure rig capable of long, mostly self-supported trips.
    2. Use heavily for 4-6 months
    3. Sell
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 a couple of times to improve techniques and gauge future business potential.

So Far We Have...

- Removed stock paneling, and applied an absurd amount of dynamat

- Replaced factory floor with R-Max insulation, 3/4" plywood subfloor, and Lifeproof vinyl flooring
    mmmm biscuits

- Next up we put in a temporary setup to test the space before we decided on a final layout.

... Then we hit the road to test the space and enjoy the van

Next up was more R-Max in the walls and ceiling, anywhere from 1-3.5" thick. We also installed the lower wall coverings (1/8" Baltic Birch), boxes over the wheel wells (1/2" Birch), and a belly band to support the bed platform as well as provide future attachment points. Plusnuts worked very well to create attachment points in the vans body.

Fully loaded with all factory safety, comfort and convenience options?

I thought this was going to be about Austin's Sprinter van in Gear Swap. But I just saw it this morning so obviously you bought a different one. Either way, I am excited to see what you are doing with yours. Keep posting stoke !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Fully loaded with all factory safety, comfort and convenience options?
    A fair amount of it... didn't special order so we weren't able to get exactly what we wanted but it had our must haves.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I thought this was going to be about Austin's Sprinter van in Gear Swap. But I just saw it this morning so obviously you bought a different one. Either way, I am excited to see what you are doing with yours. Keep posting stoke !
    I'm hoping that van makes a reappearance as well. We picked this up the start of July, but really starting to get going on it now.

I'm going to ask some dumb questions:
    1. Is the Dynamat just for sound?
    2. Why go with such thick subfloor when the van floor is already solid? Doesn't that just add a bunch of weight?
    3. Whats up with the gaps in the floor insulation? Wouldn't it be warmer to have it flush across?
    4. What's a Belly Band?
    5. How are you going to trim out the edge of the floor that faces the back door?
    Fun project. Cheers.
    However many are in a shit ton.

What happened to that slickly produced Merc Van thread?

Is this the rebirth?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm going to ask some dumb questions:
    1. Is the Dynamat just for sound?
    2. Why go with such thick subfloor when the van floor is already solid? Doesn't that just add a bunch of weight?
    3. Whats up with the gaps in the floor insulation? Wouldn't it be warmer to have it flush across?
    4. What's a Belly Band?
    5. How are you going to trim out the edge of the floor that faces the back door?
    Fun project. Cheers.
    No such thing right? Or you're dumb? Or something like that!...

1. Yes. Made an enormous difference.

2. 3/4" for a couple reasons. Wanted a solid feel with no "sponginess". Better thickness to use biscuits. Better depth for attaching bed platform and cabinets to the floor. The floor is mostly floating so any extra weight isn't necessarily a bad thing. We did re-use 6 of the factory threaded holes in the floor to give it some added security.

3. Floor is uneven and has ribs of varying depths and widths. Filled these to a consistent height. Really just wanted the wood subfloor to not be touching any of the sheetmetal. Might put down a full sheet of 1/2" R-max next time over the strips, under the plywood.

4. Belly Band is a pretty general term. They are mostly used aesthetically in current home construction. In this instance it is structural, 1x6" Birch we have running the full length of the cargo area at mid wall on both sides. It is notched in the back on top and bottom to help hold the lower and upper plywood "cladding" in place against the wall as well as provide a strong attachment point for the bed platform and future kitchen counter and cabinets.

5. I've got some 90 degree oak trim that fits perfectly. I'll use it at the back door as well as on the exposed edge at the sliding door.
    Last edited by CelebratedSkier; 10-19-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    What happened to that slickly produced Merc Van thread?

Is this the rebirth?
    No rebirth here. But it would be interesting to see what a slickly produced thread looks like!

WET days are making progress slow, but not impossible. Luckily I stained all the wood for the bed platform and lower sidewalls a couple weeks ago in much nicer weather...

So progress has continued!

Next up is the ceiling...

Are you running some sort of solar power system?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Are you running some sort of solar power system?
    Yeah, 2 - 100 watt Renogy Panels. We have compiled most of the other components too. 260amp hour battery bank. In the end we should be able to charge through solar, while the van is running, or through a "shore power" source.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Don't get too slick ... before you know it, you will be Vlogging your van life adventurers, suckeling at the tit of spancership.. and eventually have the community reject you as a click bait whore.

A cautionary tale, yet true.
    #LifeGoals

Can you access storage under the bed from both inside and outside? It looks like a solid panel.

How much effort are you putting into weight savings? Weight seems like a big issue in van conversions, and my sportsmobile with it's cheap particle board construction seems to weight a shit ton. I might be over thinking it, but it seems like with some imaginative thinks a lot of weight could be saved. The questions are though, is it enough to affect performance, and is it worth the cost?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    That's cool. 24v lighting I'm assuming? The LED world has made that so much easier.

And yeah, I was wondering about weight also. The vans are designed for large payloads, so it's probably not a big deal, but could maybe drop fuel economy.

What is the business anticipation?

Depreciation on the vehicle will offset most of the value add and unlike an upfitting manufacturer (sports mobile) none of the custom work has warranty.

Depreciation on the vehicle will offset most of the value add and unlike an upfitting manufacturer (sports mobile) none of the custom work has warranty.
    All valid points. There are a couple different avenues I intend to explore. The little building we've done has created many different ideas. But I certainly could offer some kind of warranty for any custom work I did.

Mostly need to find out what kind of product I can produce and what costs I have into it. That will obviously determine the route I pursue. Truly custom upfitting, "custom" or aftermarket plug&play products, and design services are the areas that come to mind first.
    Last edited by CelebratedSkier; 10-24-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    How much effort are you putting into weight savings? Weight seems like a big issue in van conversions, and my sportsmobile with it's cheap particle board construction seems to weight a shit ton. I might be over thinking it, but it seems like with some imaginative thinks a lot of weight could be saved.
    We spent some time in Madras for the solar eclipse with a guy who had purchased a used converted 2WD Sprinter with cabinets made from some sort of lightweight synthetic panels that sorta looked like the material FWC uses for its lift panels. The cabinets use netting instead of doors. The conversion was done by a small biz in central OR that, as I understand it, did a few conversions then got out of business. Some RV builders, e.g., FWC, use lightweight poplar plywood.

This is the same thing that happened in the late 70's/early 80's with the van conversion rage. Some sort of an economic shift in next 5 years will cause huge depreciation for all these $100K plus camper vans floating around .

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This is the same thing that happened in the late 70's/early 80's with the van conversion rage. Some sort of an economic shift in next 5 years will cause huge depreciation for all these $100K plus camper vans floating around .
    Can't wait.