Page 149 of 152 FirstFirst ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 3783
    An e-bike becomes a motorcycle the second it's built in my mind. But so what?

It's still not a 450f. They're already on trails all over tahoe. Not a ton but I've seen them enough. They're still having no more effect on the trails than the hack tourists who have been skidding up this place for decades. Like I said, it's the pcta and their ilk that are making it an issue with the whole wolf in sheep's clothing sillyness. If they weren't making a stink, then who cares. Anything else is just telling yourself you're a better human being than those people (which don't get me wrong, we obviously are). I personally think they're goofy as shit and riding one kind of misses the point of going downhill fast on a capable machine. But whatever.

Have you seen these?

https://forum.xcitefun.net/honda-bio...bs-t81125.html

I can't wait to get one to help me punch a skin track in desolation wilderness.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Well, if an ebike is a moto they should be banned full stop. Motos definitely cause more damage by a factor if 10 than any skidding tourists. I don't have any real issue with them but having grown up in SoCal riding anywhere i wanted, somehow I've managed to not care that those areas are all now banned to motos as well as mtb. People wreck everything. A small number of users isn't going to do much damage anywhere, but it never stays a small number of users. Especially w instagram. Sleds don't impact me and I've got no stake currently in their access, but I've always been a bit surprised they are allowed where motos are not. All these arguments will be moot when everyone gets their own bionic exoskelton...and hoverboards
    Last edited by mcski; 07-14-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sport...e31754838.html
    https://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/02/0...obile-lawsuit/

To be fair, the majority of lawsuits have been filed by those opposing snowmobile access because outside of Wilderness snowmobiles have had unfettered or minimally fettered access to public lands including in the TNF as I the maps posted above show. As restrictions are imposed I have no doubt we will see more lawsuits filed by snowmobilers. Personally, I think these issues are best solved by negotiation, mediation, and arbitration between local groups, without the involvement of national environmental or snowmobile advocacy groups. In order for that to succeed the public agencies have to be perceived as neutral and must follow established law and regulations in making decisions, decisions have to be based on science, and both groups have to be willing to talk to each other and compromise. None of those conditions exist today which makes more lawsuits inevitable. I also think it is inevitable that whatever decisions are reached in these cases both sides will be unhappy.

One thing that is not helpful is the insistence of many snowmobilers, as shown in their posted comments, that skiers,etc should not be bothered by snowmobilers. Denying the legitimate feelings of those you disagree with is a poor way to come to any kind of agreement. It is akin to insulting someone with a racial or gender slur and then telling them they shouldn't be bothered, are too sensitive.

As I said before, I personally don't have a problem with the current state of affairs, mostly because I am old and my touring days are largely over. I do avoid the closest touring area near me--Negro Canyon--because I have found the presence of snowmobiles makes the touring unpleasant.

I think it is unlikely I will have anything new to say on the subject but you never know. In the meantime keep up with the insults and hostility because it makes it ever more clear why so many people find snowmobilers and their machines offensive and take pains to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I don't have any real issue with them but having grown up in SoCal riding anywhere i wanted, somehow I've managed to not care that those areas are all now banned to motos as well as mtb.
    You live here now right? I could see where that would help with not caring.

It's not really an apt comparison anyway. Moving dirt in a dry landscape not shaped by or with foliage has very little in common with traveling on snow. It's kind of the magic of the medium. I don't really see a whole lot in common with my skis and mountain bike. Neither between sleds and dirt bikes as far as the environmental reasons that shut down much of the moto access down there. Two of them move dirt on a more permanent medium, two don't.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Fighting a NEW designation that closes off previously open areas, exactly like I said earlier.

Good god man, read the subtitle right under the headline. Again, fighting a NEW designation exactly like I said earlier.

You're just stabbing in the dark now trying to not appear wrong with your earlier assumption.

How about some ski stoke for the thread as I catch up on the year:

End of January Kirkwood sidecountry before the storms finally rolled into the region...

Closing weekend of Mammoth...

Round Top & Sisters mission - June 16th, 2018...

Excellent, as always. The three GS gates intro to "Last of the Lift Served" was a nice surprise.

So fine; buttering the rock side walls with tips/tails.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

2 inches of hail!

Attachment 242230

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    2 inches of hail!

Attachment 242230

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Was that today?
    The spot weather around the area is weird.
    The next few days should be interesting.

Mid 80's every day high 40's every night. = Perfect Tahoe Weather.
    While over 100 every day in the flatlands. = Tahoe will be full.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I’m in Incline now and the next 2 days. Rained just a little during dinner. Clearing now. Gonna be nice tomorrow.

Will be out on water early tomorrow to beat the crowds.

Coop,
    Thank you for the Love that you spread for the Wood. You helped give continuity over the change.
    Great times are ahead of you.
    Never stop the overflow of exuberance.

Coop out at KW it sounds like?

In other news: smoke. Ugh. Enough already. Had to leave town.

Huh? Did something happen to Coop or the Wood today?

See https://www.facebook.com/coop.cooper which includes ".. proud to have just completed a 14yr marathon run with my family @KirkwoodMtn and @HeavenlyMtn resorts." and "If anyone knows of or needs any freelance Marketing|PR|Comm's or social media work or assistance, y'all know how to reach me"

Hoping Coop is able to leverage his national tv exposure. The nerdy tv hosts seemed to enjoy his schtick. Good luck Coop. You did good.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

In other news: smoke. Ugh. Enough already. Had to leave town.
    how bad is it? I have plans in South lake this weekend but thinking of canceling. Just hard to know how bad it is from down here in the bay area but what I've heard so far doesn't sound too good.

and yeah, vibes to all the folks way more affected by the fires than me and my little family vacation..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Hoping Coop is able to leverage his national tv exposure. The nerdy tv hosts seemed to enjoy his schtick. Good luck Coop. You did good.
    Same here. I’ve had differences with the VC version of Coop, but he has always been the best thing about the resort since the change. Wishing him the best, but I fear what will happen to the Valley without his presence.

Hoping more than ever that KSL strikes a deal with SAT or Bear Valley. I need options coming from the south.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    how bad is it? I have plans in South lake this weekend but thinking of canceling. Just hard to know how bad it is from down here in the bay area but what I've heard so far doesn't sound too good.

and yeah, vibes to all the folks way more affected by the fires than me and my little family vacation..
    Keep an eye on the smoke forecast images. Today isn't terrible in Tahoe City so far, but there is a definite haze still

Horrible on the south shore today.

Also, Sonora pass is going up in smoke. Toasted Dardanelles Resort last night and looks to reach Kennedy Meadows soon. Hopefully they got the big RV's out early because some of them could have a tough time with the pass and the other side.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Keep an eye on the smoke forecast images. Today isn't terrible in Tahoe City so far, but there is a definite haze still
    thanks, like this one?
    https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=...r=0&cityid=699

Very Unhealthy blob right over Tahoe..

thanks, like this one?

http://aqicn.org/city/california/pla...fairway-drive/

If you are looking for a pick me up from the smoke or a summer-time time-suck, check out the Tahoe Basin in desktop version of Apple maps for scoping next years' ski lines. The basin has publicly available sub foot LIDAR data that apple maps has used in their 3D satellite models, no more stretching or flattening of aerial photos over the really cool parts. Sorry to the leave out the PC crowd or those with older Macs, but unless your computer comes with apple maps you are pretty SOL. Here are a few screenshots of the cross on Tallac and Twin Peaks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 9.15.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	243456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 9.18.10 PM.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	243461

Can't speak to how well this validates, but here's a smoke transport forecast tool:
    https://www.airfire.org/data/bluesky-daily/

thanks, like this one?

It's kind of a crap shoot with so many smoke sources. Right now the air quality in SLT is 46 (good) but in a few hours it could be a lot worse, like it is over in Truckee / Tahoe City. Smoke keeps moving in and out on any given day and it's pretty difficult to predict. We're hoping to return to Truckee this weekend / early next week but it's going to be a game time decision.