Page 26 of 152 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

^^ Yeah, I got it, it was a joke since usually a ski resort poach involves skiing. Pretty sure it's never a ski line. But now I'm curious and trying to find a photo from last season or 2011.

On another note, if anyone is itching for something better and depressed by this forecast... Mammoth is skiing really well right now all things considered. Plenty of billy goating / off groomer options with the snow remaining nice and chalky for the most part. Was still finding left over powder in the trees too.

Last edited by TahoeJ; 12-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I forgot to mention that Oregon is so crappy that our football coaches leave after less than 1 year and making millions of dollars, seriously, stay in Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Got a spare room? Couch? I like crappy OR beer.
    py guest room and crappy couch, might be a bit tight for all 3 of you but definitely fine for just Dad. We have crappy sports, living 8 blocks south of Ducks track and field & basketball arena, and plenty of crappy beer - about 7-8 breweries within a 10 minute drive and 14 breweries within county limits. Plenty of crap to go around for those with low standards!

Jake - Funny thing is now that I can get it easily I rarely drink Boneyard anymore, since I’ve found plenty of other small unknown brews

PJ, haven’t done IceAxe since Svalbard 2013 ... but speaking of ice axes, bring your bike with your ice axe when it’s time for volcano season! Shasta is the exact halfway point between here and Yay Area.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Pfffft....... U are totally spelling your new state incorrectly schralph. The correct spelling is c-a-l-i-f-o-r-e-g-o-n. You have plenty of kind beer to help you forget all the marginal skiing around u. Heh!!!!
    J/k I'm a fan of the state and most of the people

Just tried a new local beer from revision brewery outta sparks called tahoe haze. Kinda west coast version of a New England style IPA. Pretty delicious . Helps to deal with the marginal skiing conditions we are dealing with now. Was at adv film festi last night and the clip of the first female 5.15 send was my fave of the night. Tribe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Friend of mine might be. Decent condition? What year? (not that the year matters, really, just so I can give him more info)

Well, it would have to be quite the poach. Story is that terrain above used to be open back in the day but some doctor went for a slide for life over the edge... not sure if it's true or not. Unless I'm misinterpreting the terrain in your photo. Looker's right of the funnel correct?
    I don't believe it's ever been open. I'm kinda surprised in all my Squaw years, I've only seen it poached once. I think that was during the big oh10 season. There some bs rumors squaw might open it around that time too but I didn't give that much weight. Definitely in my powder bucket list tho. Never considered it as an ice climbing area. That would seem an even higher degree of difficulty poaching endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

On another note, Mammoth is skiing really well right now all things considered.
    Yo J. Saw your post regarding Mammoth. I’m thinking about heading down tomorrow morning. How’s the snow & where did you find the best skiing? I was there a week ago Thur & Fri. Wind buff was great on Dave’s, face of Five and no one was there.

Been skiing the same two chairs & 6 or 7 runs at Rose for a week now. Need some variety.

Thanks for any updates.

With the winds shifting directions from day to day there wasn’t a consistent pattern to follow - completely inconsistent conditions on the same aspects - so you kind of have to poke around and find what’s working each day. I’d say chair 22 and the face were probably the best overall (23 was pretty scraped and spicy) but we also had a lot of fun lapping Stump and going up along the ridge lines (although we pretty much wiped out all of the remaining powder near the trees).

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Jake - Funny thing is now that I can get it easily I rarely drink Boneyard anymore, since I’ve found plenty of other small unknown brews

Shasta is the exact halfway point between here and Yay Area.
    Then you better be making a dent in some Block15 and Great Notion for me! I'm usually game for Shasta, let me know when you're rolling South.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Just tried a new local beer from revision brewery outta sparks called tahoe haze. Kinda west coast version of a New England style IPA. Pretty delicious . Helps to deal with the marginal skiing conditions we are dealing with now...
    Their "Disco Ninja" collab with Shoe Tree Brewing (Carson City) is pretty solid, too. Got some cans of "Jewel Box" and "Planetary Fog" chillin' in the fridge...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Went out to Roundtop today and found an exciting mix of windbuff, windfuck, chalk, breakable crust and super supportable crust. We had fun.

Folks were ice skating on Winnemucca Lake. The sound was really traveling weird through the ice. Spooky noises
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

9600ft, NE, south shore, from the bottom of a 100cm snowpack...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

“Windfuck” - I’m going to steal that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    9600ft, NE, south shore, from the bottom of a 100cm snowpack...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Looks to me like somewhere between rounding and faceting. How can you tell which way the greens l trend tends?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Looks to me like somewhere between rounding and faceting. How can you tell which way the greens l trend tends?
    My GUESS is faceting rounds, not rounding facets. They sit below a big thick saturated rain crust. Shallow snowpack that has been relatively cold. Any feedback is welcome...

Gonna need a permanent closure on that blue groomer and a ban on snow fences.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Elephant's Back laps were more fun than Kirkwood laps yesterday. Some ice patches but in general conditions exceeded expectations. We did find some hollow sounding snow on the looker's left side of the bowl skinning back up, but everywhere else felt very consolidated.

We didn't go far off the beaten path at Kirkwood but things were very firm where we did go.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Gonna need a permanent closure on that blue groomer and a ban on snow fences.
    Czar chasm?
    I wonder if it was a head injury - he wasn't wearing a brain bucket.
    I guessed it might have been in the "barnyard" part of sugar&spice, (just b4 trail turns right, by jackrabbit), but that's a green.
    Can't think offhand of anywhere else at Sierra that has a snow fence...?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Elephant's Back laps were more fun than Kirkwood laps yesterday. Some ice patches but in general conditions exceeded expectations. We did find some hollow sounding snow on the looker's left side of the bowl skinning back up, but everywhere else felt very consolidated.

We didn't go far off the beaten path at Kirkwood but things were very firm where we did go.
    what skis were you on? I'm headed to kirkwood for three days of skiing at the end of the month and trying to decide what skis to bring with me from the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Yah man.
    We had most fun in RabbitRuns yesterday.
    10 was pretty good, but patches of glare-ice & "the usual drop in" made us go back to 6.
    Out of bounds sounds sketchy these days.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I'm headed to kirkwood for three days of skiing at the end of the month...
    If there is no break in current weather pattern, and unless you ♡love♡ groomers, bring your rock skis.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    If there is no break in current weather pattern, and unless you ♡love♡ groomers, bring your rock skis.
    Right now there’s no need for anything but skinny sticks. But keep an eye on the forecast, there’s hope that the ridge will move in the next week and the snow will come back.

Sierra fatality.
    Actually must have been the snow fence on left on UpperSnowshoe, where they normally have a terrain park. Almost the same place, where main trail turns right.

Squaw summary...man-made laps on Mountain Run, Squaw Creek, and Red Dog. Mainly skied with the 6 year old. My solo runs were after 1pm and I headed to the Slot to check out the coverage. However, the sun already fell behind the Palisades and hard to maximize the downhill potential. At least it gave some variety for exploration.

View from top of Red Dog Saturday morning...

Chasing my daughter on the Mountain Run at 12:15pm...

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    what skis were you on? I'm headed to kirkwood for three days of skiing at the end of the month and trying to decide what skis to bring with me from the east coast.
    Hard snow skis that you can use on steeps and bumps.

What size boot are you? You can borrow some skis from me if they will fit.

Question for the experts here.

I am negotiating various aspects of kids lessons/weekend-warrior/married-life/etc, and trying to figure out how to squeeze some decent skiing out of all that. Including the slog up from the bay.

There is a scenario that would have us doing saturdays at gnarstaaaarrr so my wife and daughter get to ski with their friends, and then heading down to stateline for the night, with Sunday at the wood.

I've never done the 28 drive in winter. How long and miserable is that drive in the winter? Does it go from 1 hour to 4 when there's snow, or does being off the main 80 corridor make it less ridiculous?