Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Thanks for extra details.

...December, are cool enough to preserve powder for days and chalk for weeks (ice too if it forms).

So, get out there, ski, and post pics. I'm still gimped up from 3 years ago, and depend on you all for vicarious thrills. Keep up the good work.
    I agree. 9 days out of the cast and working on getting boot ready. I imagine it is superb where it is superb. Always loved the low angle of the sun in December. I can recall one year that snow from Thanksgiving was skiing well at Christmas when it barely snowed 8" in between.

Heyup.
    Just saw Sugar Bowl pops tomorrow.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great morning at Alpine and a great afternoon at Squaw today.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Sick little line. Bronco Chutes?

Don't know if anyone saw this post about the avalanche on Houghton :
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...n-mt-rose-area
    But yes it was us.

Check out my blog post for a full writeup of the incident:

https://www.nvbackcountry.com/single...2/03/Avalanche

Stay safe out there, and be careful

That's not that video of Tanner setting one off is it?
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 12-06-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Big wind slabs in crescent couloir on round top yesterday. East or north East wind howling up the couloir, and the wind slabs were forming at the bottom of the couloir, in the up direction.
    At least a foot deep, and released with two taps.
    Turned around.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    That not that video of Tanner setting on off is it?
    RIP Tanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Don't know if anyone saw this post about the avalanche on Houghton :
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...n-mt-rose-area
    But yes it was us.

Check out my blog post for a full writeup of the incident:

https://www.nvbackcountry.com/single...2/03/Avalanche

Stay safe out there, and be careful
    Solid report - thanks for sharing. Those unexpected pillows mid-line are an oft-missed (and usually by luck) avy hazard. Hard to predict, particularly in a solid snowpack.

Glad y'all were okay - credit to your travel protocol, even in what seemed to be "safe" conditions.

Hmnn...just seen Mammy is offering a 4 pack for $90 a day ($360), if bought by 12/22.
    Not too bad considering whole mountain.
    We paid $70 a day (3 pack) a few years back for spring lifts.
    Hmnn....

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Why not just get a mountain collective pass? On that note, I'll be at Mammoth tomorrow if anyone is around that way.

Ah, $500 for 2 days...?
    I guess I'm missing summat.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Ah, $500 for 2 days...?
    Its a good deal if you plan on traveling. Not for 1 mountain though.

Ah, $500 for 2 days...?
    It was around $350 earlier when they went on sale (like every year), and if you buy early, you can add a 3rd day free at any of the MC resorts. After your MC days are used up, all subsequent days are 1/2-off full window price.

It's an awesome deal if you're going to travel a bit. Locally, you would get Mammoth and Squawpine, so 4 days there. Around SLC you get Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin, so 6 days there.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ah, $500 for 2 days...?
    2 days at Squawlpine as well. And you can get a third day in at a resort of your choice.

Take one flight to SLC ski LCC and you've got a deal.

Better yet take a road trip from Reno, to Jackson to Alta to Aspen and back and you are doing really well.

If that is at all something you can swing, then you can score powder when the coast goes dry

Bachelor is doing a 4 pass sale for $289 right now. It's definitely worth the drive to take a trip up there as Bend is also a rad town. And you could connect in some Shasta skiing as well.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08731.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	218271

Post Monday wind event carnage, see your tracks in there powdork
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08708_crop.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	218272

Everybody yammers about how awesome a deal the Mountain Collective is, but nobody ever talks about the additional cost of flights and lodging. Is it really a deal once you add in travel expenses (either flights or gas/mileage, if you drive, plus hotels and food, etc.)?

I can see its worth if you have frequent flyer miles from work and/or you're a wealthy individual who already owns several houses in the various ski towns the pass is good at, but for the average ski bum?

I also get it if you're already traveling to the areas that the pass covers, say for work or family obligations, and you schedule in a ski day that way, but to just purchase a MC and then spend the time and $$$ to travel to each of the resorts included has to incur considerable extra costs.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^
    but for the average ski bum?
    i'd like to think i'm slightly above average in that regard
    http://www.powdork.com/2016/mountain...o-repair-show/
    i spent zero on lodging. gas came to about $500 i think. i did have about $320 in repairs plus some cheap ones i did myself (but it's still running 20k later so i can't attribute that to the trip). the trip was very inexpensive. problem was, the repairs ate a big part of what i hoped to come back with, and a week into the 3+ week trip, my work announced they were going to be closed starting three days after i got back for three weeks with very limited hours after that for the following month. things got stretched super thin but i wouldn't trade it for anything. having said that, most of it was strictly backcountry and 80% of the resorts were to access the side/backcountry (so was the pass really necessary?)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Everybody yammers about how awesome a deal the Mountain Collective is, but nobody ever talks about the additional cost of flights and lodging. Is it really a deal once you add in travel expenses (either flights or gas/mileage, if you drive, plus hotels and food, etc.)?
    You mean the cost of gasoline and groceries? I don't know about your "average ski bum", but most of us are willing to sleep in a truck or car for the chance to go on a west coast roadtrip skiing great resorts for ~$400 plus gas

Mrs C and I do a road trip or two every year with MC. It's not as cheap as $400, but it's not ridiculous. No camping or sleeping in the car. Have relatives in SLC, drive ourselves (so only gas cost), some free hotels from travel points. A couple hotel nights that we have to pay for (Hotwire usually, around $100/ night target). Food costs are the most variable.

I still think it turns out pretty inexpensive for a ski trip vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dook - find some instructors through the level 27 PSIA grapevine. Crash with them and lodging is free. Drive. Buy groceries. --> cheap

The point of MC is that no average ski bum would ever visit all, half, or even a portion of these resorts without such a great lift ticket deal. Especially now that single-day lift tickets are godawful expensive -- e.g., an early season day at Squaw (with only Sibo and Gold Coast spinning) costs $129!

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

I paid $379 for the MC pass, knowing 3 days at Squawlpine and 2 at Mammoth is guaranteed to happen. It’s already paid for itself at that point even if I don’t take any other trips. Plus got my daughter the MC for $1 more, which is a pretty sweet deal.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.