Page 106 of 152 FirstFirst ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 3785
  1. #2626
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SLT
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Getting multiple reports from friends that they can't even get to cal base cuz roads so fucked. Just finished shoveling 2.5-3' up here at 7,700'
    Yeah I just got turned at around at ski run and pioneer.

  2. #2627
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Suckramento
    Posts
    19,203

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    9:45 avy control on AM Road.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.


  3. #2628
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    The past 2 weeks, I have talked to a bunch (25) of locals and long time Squaw skiers. The majority of them think something fishy is going on. Some even say that sometimes they are saving the powder for the paying crowds. I have heard 2 or 3 Patrolmen even saying ďpeople think we arenít opening on purposeĒ.. so it seems like itís a fairly common mindset in the air right now, among locals.

    I havenít been here for long, but 10 years ago, did Squaw open lifts on huge days? Iím sure it all depends on different factors, but generally speaking?

    Again, I dont mean to sound like a douche. By all means, if safety is a concern, Iíd rather be safe than sorry.. but does it have nothing to do with staffing issues? or maybe the rules of the holding company??


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #2629
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    the medium sierra
    Posts
    120
    I was under the impression that we get bigger storm totals & MUCH bigger winds here than the intermountain region.
    I skied jackson for my first time earlier this year after an ~8" dump; iirc we didn't load until around 10. ymmv

    Also, I heard once that it takes more bombs to make sierra cement move. Might be an old wives tale..

    I don't believe the "hold snow for the weekend" theory. You think the 2 bit fuckups at KSL could keep that secret?

  5. #2630
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    7,966

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Anyone on the scene at Squaw or Alpine for a real time update?
    Road to alpine just opened

  6. #2631
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Road to alpine just opened
    Is it a madhouse?? Iím trying to decide whether to go ski lower mtn or not..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #2632
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    The past 2 weeks, I have talked to a bunch (25) of locals and long time Squaw skiers. The majority of them think something fishy is going on. Some even say that sometimes they are saving the powder for the paying crowds. I have heard 2 or 3 Patrolmen even saying “people think we aren’t opening on purpose”.. so it seems like it’s a fairly common mindset in the air right now, among locals.

    I haven’t been here for long, but 10 years ago, did Squaw open lifts on huge days? I’m sure it all depends on different factors, but generally speaking?

    Again, I dont mean to sound like a douche. By all means, if safety is a concern, I’d rather be safe than sorry.. but does it have nothing to do with staffing issues? or maybe the rules of the holding company??


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well, in this particular instance, we've gotten a ton of snow over the last few days, it dumped a ton last night, was blowing over 100mph last night, and it's still pounding with 70mph gusts over the crest... Not to mention 4 people got caught in a post-control release last Friday. I don't think it's some conspiracy. Also, all things being equal, 20" of blower at Big Sky is easier to deal with than 20" of Sierra Cement...

  8. #2633
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    Well, in this particular instance, we've gotten a ton of snow over the last few days, it dumped a ton last night, was blowing over 100mph last night, and it's still pounding with 70mph gusts over the crest... Not to mention 4 people got caught in a post-control release last Friday. I don't think it's some conspiracy. Also, all things being equal, 20" of blower at Big Sky is easier to deal with than 20" of Sierra Cement...
    Agreed. I was just wondering. There does actually seem to be some circulating thoughts among a lot of locals though, making me paranoid!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  9. #2634
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I still dont quite understand why lifts cant open? I dont mean to sound like a douchebag, but I have skied 20Ē days at Big Sky and at Jackson Hole.. right after it dropped. Lifts open at 10am, maybe 1 hour delay, but they do open. I remember waking up in Teton Village at first light, because they were firing off all the guns to get the mountain operational by 9am, after a big dump.

    Does squalpine not have enough staff to get everything rolling the morning (or even the day) after big dumps? What about all those videos I see of people going big off the fingers, after huge dumps, how do they time that? They just wait and get lucky that they are in line when it opens?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    See last seasons Tahoe thread for a long discussion on this subject but basically since KSL took over when there is a big storm everyone but Squaw/Alpine opens. Not surprising at all this season is the same and the avalanche and inbounds death donít help things.

    Anyone at Northstar, Heavenly or Kirkwood?

  10. #2635
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    See last seasons Tahoe thread for a long discussion on this subject but basically since KSL took over when there is a big storm everyone but Squaw/Alpine opens.
    So itís not just all in my imagination..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #2636
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    730

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    So itís not just all in my imagination..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No. For what it is worth, Vail Resorts has been good at opening their resorts. Yes, Heavenly and Northstar are much easier to open than Squaw/Alpine but Kirkwood has a ton of avalanche terrain and regularly opens the front side when Squaw/Alpine is pretty much closed. It used to not be like this but this is now what we have to accept.

  12. #2637
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I still dont quite understand why lifts cant open? I dont mean to sound like a douchebag, but I have skied 20Ē days at Big Sky and at Jackson Hole.. right after it dropped. Lifts open at 10am, maybe 1 hour delay, but they do open. I remember waking up in Teton Village at first light, because they were firing off all the guns to get the mountain operational by 9am, after a big dump.

    Does squalpine not have enough staff to get everything rolling the morning (or even the day) after big dumps? What about all those videos I see of people going big off the fingers, after huge dumps, how do they time that? They just wait and get lucky that they are in line when it opens?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I hope yer posting from the bottom of Squaw or KW...

    I'm gonna guess it has to do with the weight of northern Sierra snow vs northern Rocky snow. 10% water content snow is twice as heavy as 5% snow. Twice the work required right there.

    Being first to jump off some feature is timing. Gotta be at the front of the line if you want your choice. Learn the mountain and its operations if you want to score more than one in a day. Would guess BS and JH are the same in this department.

    You've skied both... what's the difference?

    6 looks about to pop. 88 is closed, no need to share first few laps. Git after it!
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

  13. #2638
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    730
    People staying on the hill at the wood are winners. In North Lake, Northstar looks like the smart choice with the backside open and 26 inches. Way to go KSL...

  14. #2639
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post

    I'm gonna guess it has to do with the weight of northern Sierra snow vs northern Rocky snow. 10% water content snow is twice as heavy as 5% snow. Twice the work required right there.
    Twice the work, but half of the avy danger?? Or not really?

    I actually got caught in a little 100í, 8Ē sluff slide yesterday. Couldnít see shit, just knew I was sliding sideways, and then ended up upside down on my head..



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #2640
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I haven’t been here for long, but 10 years ago, did Squaw open lifts on huge days? I’m sure it all depends on different factors, but generally speaking?
    Squaw is and always has been a gamble on storm days. Northstar is traditionally the goto resort if you want to ski and don't mind the angle. Other resorts fall between. Same with lifts and runs at a given resort. Some tend to open, some stay closed until the snowfall or wind ends. Roads too, for that matter. The regulars at a given resort are happy to fill you in. Ask about 20 and add your own observations to get a full picture.

    ETA KW cam shows 5 and 6 loading.

    Often times I find it's best to just go. I.e. early this morning I would have been either sleeping at the base, or trying to get there. Take action, then check conditions - paradoxically produces better results.
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 03-16-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: lift update
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

  16. #2641
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post

    Often times I find it's best to just go. I.e. early this morning I would have been either sleeping at the base, or trying to get there.
    Damn, I wish I was that core. I usually watch for conditions, and then take action, instead of the other way around. I need to step up.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  17. #2642
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tahoe City
    Posts
    121
    Alpine is spinning Scott. Not sure if loading or not.
    Looks like they might give her a go.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #2643
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Damn, I wish I was that core. I usually watch for conditions, and then take action, instead of the other way around. I need to step up.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This is definitely not the path to success in Tahoe these days. You only know if you go.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

  19. #2644
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,107

    TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

    Lift status says Olympic Lady and KT-22 delayed, rather than closed. You guys think they will open them?

    Screw it, Iím heading out to see for myself. Better late than never I guess.

    Edit: they just opened


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #2645
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    512
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	228499

    Itís deep today.

  21. #2646
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,335
    ^^^^^Yeah, buddy!


    Days like this make me miss living in Kirkwood. There's nothing better than only having only the people staying there to share the mountain with; even if the east side people come in over Carson Pass.
    God made the highway go through the spur for good reason.

  22. #2647
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    7,902
    Wow that was fun.
    Decided to just take 89 from Truckee to Tahoe City, Got caught up in this 1.5 hour stand still and was turned back @ Squaw. So now I am home 4 hours later after not skiing Home wood. - FUCK!!

    It is snowing HARD up high I think they are going to shut down 80 between Verdi and Truckee
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  23. #2648
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I still dont quite understand why lifts cant open? I dont mean to sound like a douchebag, but I have skied 20” days at Big Sky and at Jackson Hole.. right after it dropped. Lifts open at 10am, maybe 1 hour delay, but they do open. I remember waking up in Teton Village at first light, because they were firing off all the guns to get the mountain operational by 9am, after a big dump.

    Does squalpine not have enough staff to get everything rolling the morning (or even the day) after big dumps? What about all those videos I see of people going big off the fingers, after huge dumps, how do they time that? They just wait and get lucky that they are in line when it opens?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    The past 2 weeks, I have talked to a bunch (25) of locals and long time Squaw skiers. The majority of them think something fishy is going on. Some even say that sometimes they are saving the powder for the paying crowds. I have heard 2 or 3 Patrolmen even saying “people think we aren’t opening on purpose”.. so it seems like it’s a fairly common mindset in the air right now, among locals.

    I haven’t been here for long, but 10 years ago, did Squaw open lifts on huge days? I’m sure it all depends on different factors, but generally speaking?

    Again, I dont mean to sound like a douche. By all means, if safety is a concern, I’d rather be safe than sorry.. but does it have nothing to do with staffing issues? or maybe the rules of the holding company??


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

    Why don't you just join patrol and find out for yourself? They even take volunteers. Or armchair ski area operators.

    Also...read this thread first please. All of your questions have been asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered.... https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...out-KSL-thread
    sproing!

    FS: 2017 Transition Patrol https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...trol-mtb-large

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  24. #2649
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Damn, I wish I was that core. I usually watch for conditions, and then take action, instead of the other way around. I need to step up.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I missed this. Never mind. You're posting from HOME!? Jesus fuckstains no wonder you think Squaw sucks.
    sproing!

    FS: 2017 Transition Patrol https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...trol-mtb-large

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  25. #2650
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,713
    Lotta JONGs in this thread. But that's not new.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •