Page 93 of 152 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3783
    Ugly.
    Where do they drop off the tow?

Thanks for that skintrack Jorion. Trimmer was excellent yesterday. We did see avalanche debris and a crown in the upper skiers right side of the main avi path and looked a lot like the one reported to SAC, but very well could be a different one. There was also evidence of natural soft snow slide in the main gut but was almost fully covered with new snow. No wind slab at all which can result in letting your guard down with this DPL.

Still thin down low. I busted my carbon Amplid on a hidden rock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180304_132115.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	226920

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Ugly.
    Where do they drop off the tow?
    Not sure followed them back to SLT though.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Looking for a BC partner or two for tomorrow. Hoping to hit the Mt Rose East shoulder (parking lot below sky tavern), but open to other suggestions. Can't leave Reno until 9:30 or so, and would be looking to meet at the trailhead around 10-10:30.

Any takers? PM me

Word coming out, a mother and 7 yr old killed by snow falling off the roof at Edeilweis (KW) yesterday. SAR was searching on the mountain for missing people, but were found next to the condo. Transported to hospital with extreme hypothermia, but did not survive.

Anyone have facts regarding this?

So sad. Heart and prayers to the family.

Remember to teach your friends about snow safety when coming to the mountains.

Man, that is terrible news.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wow what shitty news

Bailed on BC plans based on the SAC report and headed to Heavenly, was nice to drive up leisurely at 9 to the California base, arrive at the top Killebrew gate at 9:45, wait 15 minutes for first in the gate which opened promptly at 10.

Did end the day on a north facing out of bounds run, did two extended column tests on the way down at different elevations, digging to the ground both times, higher up there was still a facet layer, down lower just a few right at the ground, both test failed to produce results with 30 taps, seems at least in this zone the consolidating snow is bridging well.

Name:	IMG_7201.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	226945

Name:	IMG_7237.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	226946

Name:	IMG_7244.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	226948

Just got an email that the RCR resorts (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberley, and Nakiska) will be Epic next year. Telluride was added earlier so now looks like they are getting more of my money next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Word coming out, a mother and 7 yr old killed by snow falling off the roof at Edeilweis (KW) yesterday. SAR was searching on the mountain for missing people, but were found next to the condo. Transported to hospital with extreme hypothermia, but did not survive.

Anyone have facts regarding this?

So sad. Heart and prayers to the family.

Remember to teach your friends about snow safety when coming to the mountains.
    Steel roofs should be illegal in the Sierra unless snow brakes are installed. (Does anyone know if snow brakes are effective with the snow loads we get around here? I know a couple of roofs in Truckee that have them--they aren't as steep as a lot of roofs around here.) My house has a deed restriction requiring a non sliding roof because we did an addition and we have grandfathered 5 foot side setbacks. (Currently 10 feet.) My neighbor's roof sheds onto our lot and has hit our house; it used to shed on our propane tank before we had natural gas. Of course the setback doesn't matter if it's your own roof that sheds on you.

What a sad, sad story to hear.

Anyone looking for some frame bindings? I have some Marker Tour F10s with 110 brakes im trying to get rid of for cheap. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Nice pics.

Any recs for good dinner in Carson City? Not interested in chains.

Bettlejuice, what mount and bsl on the 184 monsters?
    It's only open Wed-Sat, but Z Bistro in N Carson is legit excellent French style food. Good prices, excellent house wine, and super friendly owners.

Union downtown is the other go-to for decent gastro-pub fare. Their own beers have started to come in and are good.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

We have a metal roof and I'm already tired of telling my kids to not stand anywhere near the slide off zone. I took a good head shot myself last winter just walking out to my car in the driveway at the exact wrong moment. Our neighbor has those little pikes that are supposed to help but to be honest they don't seem to do much. Most of these problems in terms of safety can be solved through proper design. If we ever add on to the house we'll definitely go forward from the garage and put a gable end on there so the snow doesn't dump right in the driveway, that's for sure.

Word is the Kirkwood mother and son were buried under like 15 feet of snow, which sounds crazy, but based on the roof slides I've seen I believe it.

Here's a photo from last January to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Love the house but shitty design work for sure.

Name:	2017-01-23 14.26.07.jpg 
Size:	843.1 KB 
ID:	226960

A roof slide killed a guy I knew. Just saying.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    We have a metal roof and I'm already tired of telling my kids to not stand anywhere near the slide off zone. I took a good head shot myself last winter just walking out to my car in the driveway at the exact wrong moment. Our neighbor has those little pikes that are supposed to help but to be honest they don't seem to do much. Most of these problems in terms of safety can be solved through proper design. If we ever add on to the house we'll definitely go forward from the garage and put a gable end on there so the snow doesn't dump right in the driveway, that's for sure.

Word is the Kirkwood mother and son were buried under like 15 feet of snow, which sounds crazy, but based on the roof slides I've seen I believe it.

Here's a photo from last January to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Love the house but shitty design work for sure.

Man, just thinking that was "only" January last winter!!!

Grew up in snow region of western NY and that garage would have had windows on that driveway side, and garage doors on the end of that structure(not below the slide side, as yours is...) do you have any space to route the drive way around to that far side? Just thinking out loud with out any real knowledge of your situation of course...

When I looked this morning, could not see anything on news outlets about that Mom & toddler buried by roof slide.
    The only source then was unofficial KW fb page.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

Classic terrain trap--a whole roof load of snow piles up at the drip line.

Even the national news just did a story on the avalanche situation in the west. 5 dead in wa already where they avg 5 every 2 years.
    Reno news just did a story on kwood roofalanche. Sux. And their nightly poll is asking if you are concerned about avalanches.

On the shinier side of life, each of the last 3 days has taken the title of best day of the year. Love it when that happens. Thurs n fri i had the best kid pow days w my boy ever. Saturday we did heave gondola laps. Firebreak barely steep enough but raleys was the goods. Sunday we did a couple valley laps (yes it's in). All of porcupine ripped out mid cycle. Today out on the pass was seriously as good as it gets. Was out there from 7-1 and didn't see any other parties. No instabilities noticed. Yeah that pwl is obviously still lurking but I'm betting that a skiers penetration shouldn't be enough to set it loose. Not saying it couldn't happen but.......
    It appears that most steeps have already self regulated mid cycle

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    A roof slide killed a guy I knew. Just saying.
    the forecaster in valdez?

the woman at kirkwood was a former co-worker. RIP. devastating.

Girdwood
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

When we built our house in Sierra City, everyone insisted that a metal roof was the only way to go. The cost was considerably more expensive than composite. We had a great passive solar design, but 1200 square feet of roof shed onto 200 square feet of deck. When the roof would shed in a big snow, it sounded like a freight train landing on the deck. We wouldn't even go out on the deck in the winter if the roof hadn't shed yet.

If we got a foot of snow, it would turn into 6+ feet on the deck, blocking out all windows. After two winters, we sold the metal to a friend and put on a comp roof. We did all of the work ourselves, having done roofing on the side for several years. We figured that we spent less time putting that new roof on than we did shoveling just a couple of times. No more metal roofs in snow country for me!
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Metal roofs are fine - they last much, much, much longer. They just need to be designed appropriately...

Article on roof slide fatalities: http://southtahoenow.com/story/03/05...slide-kirkwood

So sad... that's just horrible. Pretty sure I've read that way more people die in roof slides every year than BC avalanches. :-(

On another note, this kind of got buried with the big week, but if anyone is interested in the Shift touring binding, there's a group buy going on via Tahoe Mountain Sports in Truckee (near Safeway right next to Starbucks) if anyone wants them with a 15% (or maybe 20%) discount. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-SHIFT-Binders

Quote Originally Posted by Deranged Trout View Post
    Anyone looking for some frame bindings? I have some Marker Tour F10s with 110 brakes im trying to get rid of for cheap. PM me if interested.
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    It's only open Wed-Sat, but Z Bistro in N Carson is legit excellent French style food. Good prices, excellent house wine, and super friendly owners.

Union downtown is the other go-to for decent gastro-pub fare. Their own beers have started to come in and are good.
    Adele's is amazing. It's easily one of the best restaurants in Northern Nevada.
    http://www.adelesrestaurantandlounge.com/
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."