Page 72 of 152 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 3783
    I'll throw in some shout outs for food & bev down here, since that's where the hype train has taken us.

In Gville/ Minden:

Battle Born wine/beer/spirits has great tastings & an impressive collection of rare & interesting alcohols.

Minden Meats is a fantastic deli-style restaurant that also has a butcher shop, 31 excellent beers on tap, and a huge selection of bottles.

Second IV Coffee Lab for the best coffee this side of Reno.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Maybe 1/2 or 1/3 but not 1/5. If restaurant margins were that good 80% of them wouldn't go out of business. Even including a nice bottle of wine that's normally $25 - $35 and they're charging $75 - $90 (living in wine country that drives me particularly crazy and I always find myself ordering cocktails out of spite). Buying a high quality NY steak at the butcher still runs you a fair amount.
    30% is the industry standard. 30/30/30/7. Labor/Food/Overhead//Tax’s&Fees and 3% profit.

A place that makes their own ketchup and horseradish reduces food cost. When you start putting celery foam on 3/4 oz slice of albacore with fried capers, a dollop of creme fraiche, and spring of dill on a plate and selling it $18, your food cost drops considerably. Of course, then you are paying more for the labor. The more you produce in house, the lower your food costs.

Also, ability to buy in bulk. At the franchise level, an Applebee’s might have pretty high food costs, but they are buying through a supply chain designed to give the parent company a low food cost. For instance, what ever the fuck their riblets are made of, that stuff is cheap. They factory process they cheap meat into “riblets” and then sell them to their stores at a huge mark up, but low enough so the franchise owners can keep their food cost below 35%. Anything higher sinks a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Wild Cherries bagel breakfast sandwiches are awesome though. Coffee is so-so, I agree.

For the anti-IPA crowd, Moonraker in Auburn is worth the trip. Their NE IPAs are not like the West Coast IPAs you're used to. Even my wife likes them, and she's not a beer drinker. And their taproom is a really cool setup with plenty of space to hang out for a while and food trucks regularly.

On the snow front: At least the pattern's changing enough that the meager base we have isn't going to continue melting at the rate it was.
    Agreed, Moonraker is crushing the hoppy stuff right now. They even won Gold at the Bistro for All Hops on Deck, and dumped all their cans of Xtremis due to a QA/QC issue. So solid recipes and good ethics, great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by 96avs01 View Post
    Agreed, Moonraker is crushing the hoppy stuff right now. They even won Gold at the Bistro for All Hops on Deck, and dumped all their cans of Xtremis due to a QA/QC issue. So solid recipes and good ethics, great combination.
    that's awesome. So the couple coming in From CANADA and staying in Tahoe City to ski squaw, Need to make a road trip to auburn to score some good beer?

SERIOUSLY?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    that's awesome. So the couple coming in From CANADA and staying in Tahoe City to ski squaw, Need to make a road trip to auburn to score some good beer?

SERIOUSLY?
    No, they just need to go to the Ritz-Carlton for some Blue Moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Thanks for the heads up PowDork. Got these in 185 but they’re actually 185.5 and if they were Volkl / Blizzard / Atomic they’d be 187’s. STP with 20% off and free shipping code = $240 + tax. Ridiculous! Still at least one or two pairs left. Uhh... just need snow now for 122mm underfoot! ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7045.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	224085
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    No, they just need to go to the Ritz-Carlton for some Blue Moon.
    Don’t forget the ski valet that comes free with the Blue Moon at the Ritz . Also, knee deep next to Moonraker is pretty solid too.

Just checking in from Japan, was hoping things might be turning around back home, fack!

Been snowing non stop here and cold as hell with no end in sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 02-13-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Nice BC, you earned that.

That looks horrible. How do they ever get that packed into moguls? Must take forever to get things into decent shape.

Wait, those pics weren’t taken yesterday in Tahoe when it finally snowed?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Just checking in from Japan, was hoping things might be turning around back home, fack!

Wow!!!! Any place else in the world getting that kind of dumpage this week? That reminds me of a solid AR event at Mammoth in the good ole days.

Actually, on second thought, that isn't inches of snow per day, but the temperature in Celsius. Never mind
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Like we don't have enough to deal with this season...?
    Now we all need to *Be Bear Aware* as well.
    The fuckers are out looking for food, apparently, cos of lack of snow on ground.
    "They would rather eat than sleep"

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Green Flash West Coast please!!

That's a pretty damn good beer selection for a ski resort IMO. I'm very curious to see what beers are available at Revelstoke later this week...
    Jealous

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andddd even more jealous

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyone know anything about "D Money's Dozen" at Sugar Bowl on Saturday? http://www.sugarbowl.com/silverbelt I'm loving the shit conditions right now, and figure I could use some spicing it up. What are the 12 runs? Will it be uh **fun**?? Not sure if my 5 year olds will be able to hang....
    Here's the Dozen (or 2 Dozen):

Name:	D Money's Dozen.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	224199

The Dozen benefited Excellence in Education, a non-profit that gives grants to the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. My wife got an awesome grant from E in E for books for her classroom this year. Worthy cause. I'll be doing this next year.

Thought of it because I skinned up SB today before the resort opened, and happened to see Rahlves blasting GS gates in full tuck. Impressive to say the least.
    sproing!

Did somebody "accidentally break" the race cam at squaw - http://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding...-tahoe-webcams
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

SERIOUSLY?
    Given our snowpack, possibly.

I'm not into conspiracy theories but sure seems like they've "not fixed" the race cam since it would clearly show the lower elevation conditions.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

DEEP in Tahoe today

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	224213

We scored some afternoon untracked at Rose. Could hardly believe it.
    (Ok, not bottomless or anything, but still...)
    This was like our 4th run through there.

Name:	20180213_154407.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	224218

Ski conditions were *much better* than yesterday.
    Should be a good weekend...we are blacked out on our passes tho.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    We scored some afternoon untracked at Rose. Could hardly believe it.
    (Ok, not bottomless or anything, but still...)
    This was like our 4th run through there.

Name:	20180213_154407.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	224218

Ski conditions were *much better* than yesterday.
    Should be a good weekend...we are blacked out on our passes tho.
    That looks pretty damn good for this year. Keep the stoke coming!

great skiing at alpine today! stoked summit was closed because no one was going into wolverine let alone beaver, east winds loaded westish facing slopes so skied 5-10" of untracked all damn day
    still a lotta snow transporting when I left, tomorrow should be great especially if summit doesnt run

Lower angle n facing trees above town held bottomless turns today but some coverage was lost in last heat wave
    Anyone been skiing cp or kwood??

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    I'm not into conspiracy theories but sure seems like they've "not fixed" the race cam since it would clearly show the lower elevation conditions.
    The webcams at Squaw and Alpine are a joke. At least the Alpine base cam shows the lift lines at Summit and Roundhouse.

Is it really that difficult to put a webcam on a snow stake? No, but they will not do it.

For an honest view of real time lower mountain snow conditions and KT, check out the Squaw Valley Lodge webcam.

Both Squaw and Alpine are being hit hard by global warming because their bases are so low. Add bad operations where last year the lifts didn’t spin and there was not enough parking and Squaw is losing its status as a premiere ski destination even inside Tahoe. And this season, Squaw does not want to advertise what the bottom of KT looks like. In terms of coverage, there is no comparison between Kirkwood and Squaw this season.