Page 133 of 152 FirstFirst ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 3783
    Also, no one in Tahoe tells you what discount end of season is in inventory at all the local shops, compared to Montana and Wyoming where everyone knows what shell sizes are in stock at which shops.

And in Oregon I can get a base grind w/ base repair for $50 at Berg's, and everything in there is also 30% off right now. But I can't tell you what they have in inventory either, so it's totally not with the drive anyways.

Zing!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

A Wintersteiger tune puts the factory structure back on the base. That’s worth the extra for me. Standard stone grind doesn’t do that.

The prices I quoted were all for a full tune--minor ptex repair, flatten and structure the base (stone grind), set and sharpen edges, and wax.
    I've forgotten the name of the structure I like but it's not the straight linear structure that seems to come on all skis from the factory. It looks like this--although I've had the same pattern from other shops.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grind-starthaus.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	232384

I think it’s called cross hatch

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

^^ ok, so, yeah, considering how much those machines cost I don’t think that’s a crazy asking price. Whenever I get skis back from Start Haus they look damn near brand new. Or maybe better. Not that I do it very often...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Sugarbowl patroller told me today that the hill is off limits for touring/access. True for reals?

The base structure from a stone grind depends on the way that the stone is "dressed". Different dressings/base structure can work better for different snow conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Sugarbowl patroller told me today that the hill is off limits for touring/access. True for reals?
    Dunno the official policy (couldn't get a direct answer over phone/e-mail), but last year there was a keypad-controlled gate blocking the road to Judah lodge about halfway between the turn-off from 40 and the lodge itself soon after closing day.

Tons of snow in the neighborhood last year, so there wasn't much incentive to hike around just to see if anyone cared. Can see where this is more important this time around.

Just FWIW, hopefully someone more useful has a better answer!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Having said that, does a full tune include a base grind? Whenever I’ve had $100+ ski work done it usually involves repair work and a fresh grind. Or maybe I was getting the friendly hookup all along and I owe someone some beers?
    tl;dr - Buy a "Service Card" at Granite Chief in the summer (or see if your preferred shop has a similar program) to keep service costs manageable

To answer your second question, J, maybe some shops owe *you* some beers if repairs/grinds are costing you $100+? ;-)

=====I typed the below, so I'm hittin' submit on it for posterity=====================

My family was super-successful at finding sharks this year, especially once the awesome March snow tried to hide Sugar Bowl's rocks. Insight I gained was:

- Granite Chief includes core shot repairs (4 different skis) in one of their full tune/base grind packages, and recommends such treatment for any core shot. Repairs all came out well, and bases returned with pretty crosshatched structure patterns on them.
    - Seemed the cost varied in range of $50-70, maybe dependent on turn-around time required, or how many pairs dropped off?
    * Here's the important part -> In the summer, you can buy a "Service Card" at Granite Chief where you effectively buy future services at 1/2 price. So, our actual cost for repairs/tunes/grinds was <$40 each time. We also had some binding mounts & tests done with the card.
    - I can get a core shot on a 2-day old pair of skis in thigh-deep snow and not even care about it on account of the snow. Rocks always win, no sense in fighting it.

I see varying opinions of GC, but I have to say they treated us very well on a variety of jobs this "winter". Maybe other local shops also have Service Cards or other similar programs? Was $200 very well invested for us this year, and there is still balance left to get some storage wax on some skis

I might tune a pair of skis once a year at most, depending. My year old powder skis have never been tuned.
    I do my own core shots, edges and wax. The core shot repairs look rough but they work.
    So I pay the full price at Granite when I do need a full tune.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    To answer your second question, J, maybe some shops owe *you* some beers if repairs/grinds are costing you $100+? ;-)
    Like I said, the only time I've paid $100 included a lot of repair work, tuning and a full base grind on the wintersteiger. Haven't actually brought a pair of skis into a shop for a few years now - one of the benefits of ON3P durability. Might be more expensive to buy but a lot cheaper to maintain.

Good to know about that service card deal, though. I do my own tuning and waxing and minor repairs but I'm sure a pair or two of my skis could use a proper grind by now. Start Haus sometimes offers shoulder season deals as well.

Sugar Bowl could in theory limit access while they're in take down operations mode at the end of the season (i.e. starting today), but after that they have to allow access since it's definitely USFS land.

Nuking down here in CC. No, really!
    Woke to dry roads and rising sun. All changed now.
    Hello winter.

Gonna try heading up to Sierra's "customer appreciation day", and hope roads are passable.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Ski tuning? I don't have much advice other than to wait until the ski season is over.

Name:  IMG_0162.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  88.4 KB

The shop in the trailer on the Judah side of Sugar Bowl does core shot repairs for $5-$10 depending on size/hassle. Had a bunch filled and they're still holding up. Full tune is somewhere around $70. Of course they're closed now.

Sugarbowl updated their website with their post season rules. They do not state when they expect post-season tear down to be completed:
    ATTENTION: All mountain access is closed at this time. After Mountain Operations completes post-season tear down, you may access Forest Service land at your own risk

Well, now, that looks like stoke.

Rained overnight on the coast. Came back in just in one for school drop off. Cold down here.

Currently dumping at alpine

Had a nice morning of meadow skipping on 6-8". Sun still isn't out in South Lake - go get it before it manks up.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Sugarbowl updated their website with their post season rules. They do not state when they expect post-season tear down to be completed:
    Thanks for the follow up -> good to see an official position, and it's in our favor.

Rose was fun as shit today. About 6 inches, blown in pretty well in places. Trees were a blast - probably the fastest I've skied them all year. Snow wants you to haul ass and glide over the top, no heavy turns on steep as it's pretty crusty. Worked for me - shit eating grin from 8.30 to noon. Oh and no one was there - freshies literally the whole time. I crossed three tracks on my last run

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sugar Bowl could in theory limit access while they're in take down operations mode at the end of the season (i.e. starting today), but after that they have to allow access since it's definitely USFS land.
    I'd guess that permits are public record. Would there be somewhere in there that has a final "open to the public date"?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Squaw was great this morning. Headwall popped around 10 and KT was a ghost town. Had to keep it in 3rd gear due to bumps on most of KT.
    While everyone bailed to ski wind stripped moguls in flat light on headwall I decided to hike over to Red Dog (lift was closed) and proceed to lap top to bottom, smooth freshies with no other tracks until my 4th run. Only in April. Tomorrow should be better for the first couple hours at least.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Wow, thought for sure BG would opt for Alpine today! Those sneaky red dog laps are the best! Lots of blower goodness this morning at AM

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Wow, thought for sure BG would opt for Alpine today! Those sneaky red dog laps are the best! Lots of blower goodness this morning at AM
    cuz manana is gonna be the day

Granite was fantastic today! Opened at 9 and got 3 laps before the public figured it out...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I'd guess that permits are public record. Would there be somewhere in there that has a final "open to the public date"?
    The lease agreement isn't going to say anything like that since it's up to them to decide when to close and begin preparations for the off season. Sugar Bowl is pretty uphill friendly in general so I'm sure they'll open up access as soon as they're done and/or whenever skinners wouldn't potentially be in their way. I wouldn't sweat it.