Page 25 of 152 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Haven't been touring in a few days, but saw this vid and figured I should share:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bca55jchh7E/

Heads up.

Do you know where it was?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Do you know where it was?

IG comments say "Castle Peak". No aspect or elevation given.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Hoping that they just haven't posted the observation to SAC yet but will. It'll be an interesting day where snowpits are worth more on IG than filing them with SAC...

SAC advisory has been warning about hard wind slabs over facets for days, and there are recent pit and ECT results on Donner Summit and Rose. Probably more useful than a video with no other data (though maybe not as dramatic).

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...stle-and-basin

from 12/5; Northwest aspect; video coordinates: 39.36496, -120.35857
    Last edited by juliebobulie; 12-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Remember that storm last Saturday night?

Haven't been touring in a few days, but saw this vid and figured I should share:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bca55jchh7E/

Heads up.
    Yeah, that would be enough to have me tiptoeing back to the truck
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Bachelor is doing a 4 pass sale for $289 right now. It's definitely worth the drive to take a trip up there as Bend is also a rad town. And you could connect in some Shasta skiing as well.
    Flatchelor?

It's a good deal for fun endless intermediate angle pow skiing, envision 2500' vert of like the backside of Northstar. No steeps or rad stuff, just a giant low angle volcano. No reprise from bad weather though, as winds wrap around volcanic cones - no ridgelines to hide behind and the lower you have to stay on the cone, the more the skiing starts to resemble the main runs of Northstar.

Don't get your hopes up for Xmas snow out here though ... I think we might have less snow than Tahoe right now, and no snow projected for the next 10 days. It's gonna be a rough December pretty much anywhere in the American west if current forecasts/patterns don't break down.

Oh yeah, since changing my legal state of residence I'm now mandated by state law to remind everyone that the beer in Bend is overrated and the beer in NorCal and Tahoe is better, legal weed will soon be easier to get in California than in Oregon, people drive slow in the left lane here, the cell phone towers here can't handle the influx of Californians, I'm surrounded by white-skinned hicks or ultralibs, it's illegal to pump your own gasoline, there are no jobs, and you can't buy liquor at grocery stores ... sounds like an awful road trip, you should really just stay near the I-80 corridor, thank you for your attention to this PSA!

(that said if anyone is coming up for skiing or MTB, let me know and I'll try to join you!)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4201_crop.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	218335

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Flatchelor?

Oh yeah, since changing my legal state of residence I'm now mandated by state law to remind everyone that the beer in Bend is overrated and the beer in NorCal and Tahoe is better, legal weed will soon be easier to get in California than in Oregon, people drive slow in the left lane here, the cell phone towers here can't handle the influx of Californians, I'm surrounded by white-skinned hicks or ultralibs, it's illegal to pump your own gasoline, there are no jobs, and you can't buy liquor at grocery stores ... sounds like an awful road trip, you should really just stay near the I-80 corridor, thank you for your attention to this PSA!
    Yep, stay away from Boneyard!

thx. schralp for contributing to our humble Tahoe thread. Hope you're doing well up there. Make sure you get OR plates for the subie otherwise you may get profiled.

Hey, did you do another Ice Axe Ex. trip???

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Flatchelor?

It's a good deal for fun endless intermediate angle pow skiing, envision 2500' vert of like the backside of Northstar. No steeps or rad stuff, just a giant low angle volcano. No reprise from bad weather though, as winds wrap around volcanic cones - no ridgelines to hide behind and the lower you have to stay on the cone, the more the skiing starts to resemble the main runs of Northstar.

Don't get your hopes up for Xmas snow out here though ... I think we might have less snow than Tahoe right now, and no snow projected for the next 10 days. It's gonna be a rough December pretty much anywhere in the American west if current forecasts/patterns don't break down.

(that said if anyone is coming up for skiing or MTB, let me know and I'll try to join you!)
    Got a spare room? Couch? I like crappy OR beer.

Anyone local interested in bonafides, 180, with Salomon 14 bindings, very good condition, $250? Mounted for 317 bsl

Brew of the Day (f@#k that Oregon sh!t):

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	218433

East-facing, low elevation (approx 7800), and low angle skied really nice today.
    Nuthin' but sugar.
    Too bad all the folkss who went out earlier in the week had no concept of "powder etiquette", as the hill had been Harvey Weinsteined something fierce, with no rhyme, reason, or general sense of farming it in a fashion so as to leave untracked terrain for others to enjoy and whatnot (multiple skin tracks, boot-packs zig-zagging on skin tracks and right up beautiful pitches, spastic traverse lines, etc.).
    Still, I was able to hop-scotch my way to some fresh turns.

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	218434

Hopin' for a December corn cycle next week.
    Last edited by dookey67; 12-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I've been staring at this ice line off of Shirley for years. Anyone done it? Probably maybe WI 4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Just landed at JFK. It's snowing pretty good and messing up flights.

Let's hope for the ridge to break down sooner than later.

Anyone local interested in bonafides, 180, with Salomon 14 bindings, very good condition, $250? Mounted for 317 bsl
    Friend of mine might be. Decent condition? What year? (not that the year matters, really, just so I can give him more info)

Quote Originally Posted by Nkane View Post

I've been staring at this ice line off of Shirley for years. Anyone done it? Probably maybe WI 4?
    Well, it would have to be quite the poach. Story is that terrain above used to be open back in the day but some doctor went for a slide for life over the edge... not sure if it's true or not. Unless I'm misinterpreting the terrain in your photo. Looker's right of the funnel correct?

Correct on the location. You can see the new gazex thingy at the top of the frames.

And it would be an all time epic poach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Friend of mine might be. Decent condition? What year? (not that the year matters, really, just so I can give him more info)

Well, it would have to be quite the poach. Story is that terrain above used to be open back in the day but some doctor went for a slide for life over the edge... not sure if it's true or not. Unless I'm misinterpreting the terrain in your photo. Looker's right of the funnel correct?
    They are in really good shape, tuned recently, I don't remember exactly, but I believe 2nd year.

I haven't skied then in three years, im on katanas full time.

Full camber, rockered tip.

In at squaw.

It's not that steep, maybe 70 degrees, probably less. I would do it by headlamp once the grooming crews went to sleep, but late, around 5 am, then start skiing when the lifts open

Meant to say I'm at squaw

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

It's not that steep, maybe 70 degrees, probably less.
    LOL... well in that case better just ski it switch to the road to make it interesting.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Went out for a couple hours at Rose today. Light crowds and a nice day were enough to make it fun. Broke out some older skis that I hadn't been out on in a while (Nordica Top Fuels). 68 mm under foot and lots of side cut makes the groomers a blast first thing. With the cold nights they are making enough snow that if you stick to the groomed runs you can go all day without hitting anything. Trying to make the best of it until something changes. Every high pressure does break down eventually, right?

LOL... well in that case better just ski it switch to the road to make it interesting.
    i think rod was the only one that got it. he's interested in the ice climb in the photo, not the ski line when it's in. so no matter what it's a poach of sorts
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.