Page 88 of 152 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3783
    There's a TGR group order going for the Salomon Shift binding, offered up by our very own Tahoe Mountain Sports (you know, in truckee right of the safeway). the details are 15% off and if there's 30+ preorders, everyone gets 20% off.

If you're interested check it out. Here's the thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...92#post5274092

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Tahoe mags....Is Cosmo's Footwerks still in biz?
    Don't know but several of my friends that used to go to Cosmo now take there biz elsewhere. Takr that for whatever it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    This is just a guess but I'm gonna go with the snowboarder died from some sort of trauma related accident and not a slide or tree well. They found him with recco because he was buried under the storm snow from last night. Again just a hunch.
    This. I would totally not assume he was killed in a slide. Much more likely he hit a tree, fell in a treewell, had a medical emergency, or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Don't know but several of my friends that used to go to Cosmo now take there biz elsewhere. Takr that for whatever it's worth
    El Chup had it correctly- Cosmo is up in Oregon, you couldn't take biz to him the last 2 seasons, might explain their behavior.

I think we may hear that the fatality at Squaw (vibes to his family) was in the creek area itself- tree well type situation. No avy.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Actually, they all stopped going to him long before that

Ya'll complaining about the crowds--just remember you're just as much a part of the problem as anyone else. It's not the resort's fault for being crowded, and don't give me any crap about bringing back expensive passes, as if skiing isn't already a sport for the rich. There's a lot of people in the Bay Area, Reno, and Sacramento, or hadn't you noticed. I had a great time skiing at Alpine today, despite the numb feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Oh ya, I am definitely not doing it right. My first year in north lake...Another issue is that my boots are so damn tight and cold, if I wait in line any longer than 20 minutes, my feet stay numb all day.. No go for me. I have tried on 10 new pairs of boots this year too, all are more comfortable and warm, but none of them give me the performance I’m looking for. My only solution is to get the next size up, and fill it up with a ZipFit liner to take up extra volume, which will cost me at least $1000, and still wont be perfect.

I feel like it’s harder to get everything right here, than it is elsewhere. Much harder.

Anyone know of any good bootpacks around here?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My feet do the exact same thing. Up until now my philosophy has been "if they're numb they can't hurt". Problem with that is when you jump off something and land wayyyyy in the backseat with your boots too loose you don't feel your toenails getting rammed into the front of your boots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1520047498152.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	484.1 KB 
ID:	226574
    This is 7 days and about 20 Advils after the fact and I didn't feel a thing til 6 hours later when my foot warmed up.

...I have to go to this huge event tonight, and talk about how much I LOVE Tahoe...which I truly do, but not for the resort skiing...)
    *...in sickness, and in health...*
    ...you know?

[...when I went to Big Sky, found it kinda intermediate, except for Lone Peak. And no real tree skiing]

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

It’s only when I am not skiing. When I’m in the front seat, they open up and are fine. When I am in the lift line for more than 10 minutes, they go numb. I am a size 11.5-12 street shoe, slammed into a 27.5 high performance fit.
    There's your problem. You need a boot that fits your foot, not a boot that doesn't fit sized down too small. With very few exceptions, cold feet happen because your circulation is cut off, not because the boot is too cold.

Pay no attention to "shell fit." That's a red herring for people who don't understand how feet and skiing work, which is, unfortunately, almost every bootfitter. The important place to fit properly is your instep, where foot and lower leg meet. If that's held down and tight, you could cut off the toebox and still ski with no problems. If that doesn't hold your heel and ankle down and back, you'll ski poorly no matter how much the rest of the boot crushes your foot. It has to do with the shape of the tongue of the boot and liner vs. the shape of your leg, and buckling the boot down won't change it much. A 3-piece boot with an instep buckle helps some, but if it's a high boot to begin with and your foot is low, that won't be enough.

If you like the MTN Lab you probably have a very low instep and a skinny lower leg, just like me. That boot is the lowest instep and smallest lower leg I've found on a current production boot, alpine or AT. Wear it in a 28.5 shell (not sized way down), use a footbed and shims and perhaps heel lifts to get your instep locked down, and enjoy life.

PM me if you want to talk about that. I've helped fix boot issues that the "best bootfitter in XXXXX" couldn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Got asked if I had change for a nickle, ha! forget your user name but nice to meet ya and make some turns!
    Nice skiing with you! I felt pretty safe in assuming that the guy with GPOs and FTP gloves was a mag.

Sorry I lost you; I hit what I thought was a nice little rollover but was actually an opportunity to dry dock between two boulders.

Heavenly was a lot of fun despite having as many people as a crowded Saturday. The first run of the day down Gunny was glorious, ditto upper Milky Way and Maggie’s Canyon when Sky opened. After that just made laps in powder bowl since the skiing was great and you could ski onto the chair.

There are still a hilarious amount of hazards under thin cover. I just ski over them now since my Billy Goats seem to do more damage to trees and rocks than vice versa.

Pretty fun day and it’s hard to complain about crowds and low angle terrain at heavenly when I come here and see it’s yet another pow day with angry Squaw skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Thanks for the info and glad that everyone is safe. On the other hand I have a no idea what is going on with Squaw and their avalanche control. The dead snowboarder was found with Recco, according to the Placer County Sheriff, suggesting he was buried. Now another inbound avalanche where thankfully no one died. I know there has to be immense pressure to open the mountain after last year's fiascos but these events have no excuses. Safety should always come first. Kudos to Northstar for not opening the top yesterday. Yes, probably nothing would have happened if they did, but I think the risk was big enough to play it safe.
    The Recco find doesn't mean he was buried in at all. Patrol would have asked the people who filled the missing persons report if they thought or knew he had any clothing with a Recco chip in it. If so, search teams would also use a Recco receiver to aid in the search.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Boz View Post
    Yes, todays slide was on KT oly lady, chairline. A friend rolled up right after it happened and said it was big. There was an immediate search and they found one person ok. Patrol wan't sure if anyone else was missing so they were sending in all the dogs. This is all hearsay. Thats why KT was only open for 2 hours or so. I got one run down dead tree and it was epic deep pow.
    Yikes! I did one run on KT after a few absolutely stellar runs on R.D./Far East. The line I dropped on Red Dog first run I was actually scared would slide so I gave it a little ski cut which I don't do inbounds too often. Was lucky to get 3rd chair. I guess Andy Wirth was a few chairs back which is why the line formed. People figured if he's in line to ski it's opening...like duh. Musical lines today before anything opened. 45 minutes in funi line then people got bored and waited in KT line for 45 minutes, then they got bored again and started milling around Red Dog. Aaaand then another 30 minute wait for KT. Thankfully every run was my best of the season.

This is the highest consequence weekend we've had in quite a while. Stay safe out there and I'll hope to do the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T-Boz View Post
    Yes, todays slide was on KT oly lady, chairline. A friend rolled up right after it happened and said it was big. There was an immediate search and they found one person ok. Patrol wan't sure if anyone else was missing so they were sending in all the dogs. This is all hearsay. Thats why KT was only open for 2 hours or so. I got one run down dead tree and it was epic deep pow.
    some of us recall when a slide took out Oly.

Whoa!...sobering. And I usually ride solo. Although, even if you're riding with friends you usually don't pay attention to them until you're back at the lift on days like today. Wear your beacons!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ya'll complaining about the crowds--just remember you're just as much a part of the problem as anyone else. It's not the resort's fault for being crowded, and don't give me any crap about bringing back expensive passes, as if skiing isn't already a sport for the rich. There's a lot of people in the Bay Area, Reno, and Sacramento, or hadn't you noticed. I had a great time skiing at Alpine today, despite the numb feet.
    This is one of my favorite comments I've read here in a while.

On the other hand I have a no idea what is going on with Squaw and their avalanche control. The dead snowboarder was found with Recco, according to the Placer County Sheriff, suggesting he was buried. I know there has to be immense pressure to open the mountain after last year's fiascos but these events have no excuses.
    Recco has many applications, and it's use in such an operation does not by any means indicate it was avalanche-related. The signal bounces off all sorts of shit - cell phones, ski poles, bits of metal - not just reflectors. Why wouldn't you use it if you were looking for someone that went missing in the woods at a ski resort the evening before it snowed two feet?

Skiing is inherently dangerous. If you choose to ski steep treed terrain alone during a storm then you need to accept the risk. Resorts can't put a cushy bubble around every single treewell. Same goes for skiing something like KT on a big storm day with a funky snowpack.

1. Wear a beacon, including when skiing inbounds

2. Ski with a buddy, including when skiing inbounds

3. Turn your damn beacon of if you ever happen to roll up to an ongoing avalanche incident, including when skiing inbounds

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    This is one of my favorite comments I've read here in a while.

Recco has many applications, and it's use in such an operation does not by any means indicate it was avalanche-related. The signal bounces off all sorts of shit - cell phones, ski poles, bits of metal - not just reflectors. Why wouldn't you use it if you were looking for someone that went missing in the woods at a ski resort the evening before it snowed two feet?

Skiing is inherently dangerous. If you choose to ski steep treed terrain alone during a storm then you need to accept the risk. Resorts can't put a cushy bubble around every single treewell. Same goes for skiing something like KT on a big storm day with a funky snowpack.

1. Wear a beacon, including when skiing inbounds

2. Ski with a buddy, including when skiing inbounds

3. Turn your damn beacon of if you ever happen to roll up to an ongoing avalanche incident, including when skiing inbounds
    I would add--if patrol is on the scene with a RECCO detector, leave. Chances are your gear has a reflector even though you may not know it or recall it.

Tomorrow is a powder day. I don't have friends on a powder day.

j/k

I'm most likely pulling my kids from Squaw ski team tomorrow as they already sent out an alert that team is starting at 10am. Family pow day with my boys, woo.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’m with you. I have a high instep and any boot that comes close to fitting me, my feet will get cold eventually if it’s sub 25 degrees. I’ve had boot fitters (highly qualified) come to the conclusion that it is what it is and I just need to deal with it. So I ski for 2 hours, take a break, warm my feet up, and repeat. Not that big of a deal and also not an issue when touring for obvious reasons.

Also: if Squaw stays closed all day your ass had better be there bright and early tomorrow. Get in the Funi line with your boots unbuckled. I’d be there but I’m lucky to get today in after going to Canada.

Hey Janky- you know Squaw as well as anyone, maybe show this guy around tomorrow? :-)

That looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    MIRACLE MARCH!!!!

Apparently I ran out of the house with out my pass today, still got in two hours at Heavenly before they figured out I did not have it, just as well it was a junk show over there.

Got asked if I had change for a nickle, ha! forget your user name but nice to meet ya and make some turns!

Went home had a proper lunch plowed again then did a couple backcountry laps, its was DEEP!!

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Quote Originally Posted by karma View Post
    The Recco find doesn't mean he was buried in at all. Patrol would have asked the people who filled the missing persons report if they thought or knew he had any clothing with a Recco chip in it. If so, search teams would also use a Recco receiver to aid in the search.
    Maybe. But if he wasn’t buried then I would imagine he would be able to survive from 4 to 10 a.m. unless he sustained serious injuries. Plus a visual id I much easier than Recco. I would imagine that if he wasn’t buried people would find him with a visual search instead of Recco. Remember if he hit a tree or was injured there would be no need for a Recco search.

Maybe. But if he wasn’t buried then I would imagine he would be able to survive from 4 to 10 a.m. unless he sustained serious injuries. Plus a visual id I much easier than Recco. I would imagine that if he wasn’t buried people would find him with a visual search instead of Recco. Remember if he hit a tree or was injured there would be no need for a Recco search.
    ^^^ There are five sentences here. Only the first one makes any sense at all in light of available facts and common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

A lot of meaningless speculation here in the absence of facts. Like the reports that it was a patroller that was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Rose - super fun and fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged Trout View Post
    Rose is great
    Rose was pretty good, concur that slide was rad...

One fella brought donuts to the lift line. That was cool. Even more awesome were the two 10-12 year-old-girls that claimed third chair and clipped their stoke levels when offered the donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A lot of meaningless speculation here in the absence of facts. Like the reports that it was a patroller that was missing.
    Yep, that was me, that's what I was told. Sorry for the missing oration.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app