Page 5 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was told that the wait for an electrical contractor in Reno is a year. Other building trades in the Reno-Tahoe area are similarly impacted.

Better solution would be to increase the transient occupancy tax---and collect it-- and use the funds to subsidize deed-restricted (ie no short-term rentals) housing and adjusting zoning and permit fee schedules to encourage high density affordable housing. Currently in Truckee permit fees are per unit which severely discourages high density and most vacant land is zoned for low density.

I don't think deed-restricted affordable housing is the answer--let the market set the rates but build enough high density, small or very small units to keep the market purchase and rental rates reasonable. I do think forcing developers to comply with the affordable housing requirements they agreed to when their developments were approved needs to happen. Currently of all the recent developments in the Truckee North Tahoe area, only Northstar has built the affordable workforce units it promised to build. Moonshine Ink did a good story on this a year or two ago,
    Increased TOT rate and collection would be my preference. I'd also vote in favor of an unoccupied extra home tax like in Vancouver. Then we design the market so it delivers more high density housing options for lower income or long-term rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Interesting, I live in a mobile home in Verdi.

FYI there are 3 for sale right now in my park. It's a shit hole in a very nice area. and the land lords are NAZI's

But you can live here for less than a 1,000 a month

As I watch them build about 1,400 new houses half a mile from me
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Just purchased my Bronze Tahoe Super Pass!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The solution to the housing crisis is an economic collapse.
    For the most part I agree with this, though for areas like Tahoe it's only gonna help a little, it's still a desirable area. What really needs to happen is for our "leaders" to grow a pair and just ban short term rentals. Simple. There is no reason for people to be entitled to run a commercial business (motel) in residential neighborhoods. Most of those same people would be up in arms if I were doing that in their neighborhood, but because it's Tahoe (or any other ski town or touristy place), it's ok. If those people are counting on the rental income to cover their mortgage, hey, guess what, you can't afford an extra house. Stay in a hotel, that will actually benefit the local economy.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    If those people are counting on the rental income to cover their mortgage, hey, guess what, you can't afford an extra house. Stay in a hotel, that will actually benefit the local economy.
    And thats where it crosses the line for a lot of people. I dont disagree, but people will always put themselves first. They dont want to miss an opportunity on a second home, just to help out the lower income mountain towners..

Didn’t they ban AirBnB in South Lake? Sorry if I am late, I didnt read the entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    And thats where it crosses the line for a lot of people. I dont disagree, but people will always put themselves first. They dont want to miss an opportunity on a second home, just to help out the lower income mountain towners..

Didn’t they ban AirBnB in South Lake? Sorry if I am late, I didnt read the entire thread.

It was nice to see Tahoe Vista clean itself up. Most of those 60's era motels almost died, now there is a market.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Isnt there a Ritz Carlton beachfront location in Tahoe Vista now?

Isnt there a Ritz Carlton beachfront location in Tahoe Vista now?

Ha! Fucking flatstar
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Increased TOT rate and collection would be my preference. I'd also vote in favor of an unoccupied extra home tax like in Vancouver. Then we design the market so it delivers more high density housing options for lower income or long-term rentals.

Interesting. What is the criteria for an unoccupied house and how do they determine if the house is unoccupied?
    Towns and school districts love unoccupied houses of course as well as short term rentals. The unoccupied houses generate taxes without requiring services and the short term rentals generate TOT in addition to property taxes and require fewer services--no school but still generate waste, use roads, water, etc.

From the Sierra Sun--$15000 wine theft from Incline Raley's. Walked out of the store with 55 bottles without paying. Picture included. Looks like someone we might know?
    http://www.sierrasun.com/news/allege...cline-village/

I grew in Incline, I remember when they build that Raley's

As to the story 1st world problems - LOL
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

This too shall pass. It will take a few years, but labor and capital will be attracted to the absurd housing shortage and solve it. Of course, hard-core CA NIMBYism and the Orange Moron’s destruction of Brand America amongst potential immigrants will slow this process. But it will happen. It’s only a matter of time.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Where is Squaw housing all its employees who need housing?

Here in Big Sky, I heard they bus 200 employees in from Bozeman everyday, and keep em’ at local hotels up there. That drive can be a pain in a blizzard, it would suck to have an accident.

Where is Squaw housing all its employees who need housing?

In their cars. Assuming they can find anyone to work. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the delays last season were due to employee shortages with unfilled job openings. You cannot walk into any business in Truckee and not find a help wanted sign.

I wonder what's going on with seasonal worker visas. Lack of visas for South Americans has been an issue in the past.

Market forces alone will not help the housing crunch as long as developers, builders, and construction workers can make money building McMansions on huge lots. The Martis Camp gated community in Truckee has been sucking up most available construction workers for several years now. As long as there's Silicon Valley money to buy the places and keep them empty they'll keep building them until govts change the rules and the incentives.

Is there pressure on the Resort to build their own employee housing?

You know, instead of a darn waterpark..

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Interesting. What is the criteria for an unoccupied house and how do they determine if the house is unoccupied?
    Towns and school districts love unoccupied houses of course as well as short term rentals. The unoccupied houses generate taxes without requiring services and the short term rentals generate TOT in addition to property taxes and require fewer services--no school but still generate waste, use roads, water, etc.

From the Sierra Sun--$15000 wine theft from Incline Raley's. Walked out of the store with 55 bottles without paying. Picture included. Looks like someone we might know?
    http://www.sierrasun.com/news/allege...cline-village/
    “To address Vancouver’s housing crisis, we have implemented an annual tax on empty or under-used residential properties called the Empty Homes Tax. Every owner of residential property in Vancouver is required to submit a property status declaration each year to determine if their property is subject to the tax.

Properties deemed empty will be subject to a tax of 1% of the property’s assessed taxable value.
    Most homes will not be subject to the tax, as it does not apply to principal residences or homes rented for at least six months of the year; however all homeowners are required to submit a declaration.
    Net revenues from the Empty Homes Tax will be reinvested into affordable housing initiatives.”

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...homes-tax.aspx

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    For the most part I agree with this, though for areas like Tahoe it's only gonna help a little, it's still a desirable area. What really needs to happen is for our "leaders" to grow a pair and just ban short term rentals. Simple. There is no reason for people to be entitled to run a commercial business (motel) in residential neighborhoods. Most of those same people would be up in arms if I were doing that in their neighborhood, but because it's Tahoe (or any other ski town or touristy place), it's ok. If those people are counting on the rental income to cover their mortgage, hey, guess what, you can't afford an extra house. Stay in a hotel, that will actually benefit the local economy.
    That would be an economic disaster. The Truckee / Tahoe City area wouldn't have enough beds to meet demand. So while the housing situation for locals would be great, it wouldn't seem so great when local businesses start shutting down and people have trouble finding jobs. I do think a ban in certain neighborhoods makes some sense... maybe Sierra Meadows and Glenshire, for example. But Tahoe Donner / Donner Lake / West Shore have had a ton of vacation rentals long before AirBNB existed. You take away all of that and it's a complete mess.

It also makes the assumption that all of those AirBNB houses would be converted to full time rentals, which isn't the case. Sure, some would. But a majority would then just sit empty most of the time. You can levy a tax on those properties for being vacant, but is it going to be more than the loss of current TOT taxes (Truckee charges 12%)? I seriously doubt it.

BTW - I live in a tourism-based town (Sonoma) that has a ban on short term rentals. It hasn't done shit to help the housing issue. And now with the fires it's even crazier.

Comparisons to Vancouver - a major metro area - also don't make much sense. Apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That would be an economic disaster. The Truckee / Tahoe City area wouldn't have enough beds to meet demand. So while the housing situation for locals would be great, it wouldn't seem so great when local businesses start shutting down and people have trouble finding jobs. I do think a ban in certain neighborhoods makes some sense... maybe Sierra Meadows and Glenshire, for example. But Tahoe Donner / Donner Lake / West Shore have had a ton of vacation rentals long before AirBNB existed. You take away all of that and it's a complete mess.

It also makes the assumption that all of those AirBNB houses would be converted to full time rentals, which isn't the case. Sure, some would. But a majority would then just sit empty most of the time. You can levy a tax on those properties for being vacant, but is it going to be more than the loss of current TOT taxes (Truckee charges 12%)? I seriously doubt it.

BTW - I live in a tourism-based town (Sonoma) that has a ban on short term rentals. It hasn't done shit to help the housing issue. And now with the fires it's even crazier.

Comparisons to Vancouver - a major metro area - also don't make much sense. Apples and oranges.
    I hear a lot of skepticism. Do you have any suggestions for what to do?

Also, I’m completely against the creation of ghettos by designating certain geographical areas for residents. I would much prefer to see the cost of an extra home that is transferred to locals in the form of scarcity and high rents transferred from the extra homeowners to affordable housing in the form of a tax. For fairness, the highest tax penalty would accrue to those who caused the most impact. I’m sure there’s a balance somewhere that allows people to own extra homes while also allowing people to live locally on the wages that they’re able to make here. Minimum wage should definitely be addressed, yet, as pointed out already in this thread, most people who can afford an extra home can afford to pay a little more tax on it, or else they shouldn’t be buying an extra home.

Y'all have lost your focus. This is a snow hype thread. Not a local real estate and tax discussion thread.

Anyone going skiing this weekend?

Shit’s about to get real.

today, my shit was real brown

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Y'all have lost your focus. This is a snow hype thread. Not a local real estate and tax discussion thread.

Anyone going skiing this weekend?
    Truth. And yes

bets on i-80 closing for most of the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I hear a lot of skepticism. Do you have any suggestions for what to do?
    Get a life vest? Like I said before, there are massive economic forces at work here and no one is going to regulate their way out of them without doing something so dramatic that it screws up a bunch of other stuff.

80 may close for a bit but not many people heading up without any resorts open.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    bets on i-80 closing for most of the weekend?
    Squaw will close. Guaranteed.

Anybody know dates of any other ski swaps other than this Saturday's truckee swap between sac and Reno and north lake?

What will consistent smoke in the basin from prescribed fire do to the economy (or the housing)?

I heard 14 million visitors to the basin in July this summer