Page 137 of 152 FirstFirst ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 3783
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Gaper Alert! Does high temp wax make a big difference in hot pow or slush compared to all temp wax? I have never skied later than mid April, until now, and after 1PM it's pretty slushy. I found myself catching base on some slush patches, on freshly waxed skis with all temp wax. Almost went over the bars twice.

Any recommendations?
    High temp wax helps with hot pow and corn, but if it's literally watery the water will suck you down no matter what wax you use. That's usually not a problem except on flat runouts in resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Gaper Alert! Does high temp wax make a big difference in hot pow or slush compared to all temp wax? I have never skied later than mid April, until now, and after 1PM it's pretty slushy. I found myself catching base on some slush patches, on freshly waxed skis with all temp wax. Almost went over the bars twice.

Any recommendations?
    Less surface area.
    RAX.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Less surface area.
    RAX.
    Did i just get rax’d? Deserved.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

I’m not kidding, bar of soap in your pocket. Rub down at bottom or top of each lift run. And only ski the steepest stuff possible.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Stay on edges on the runouts.

Ooh.
    38° at Rose already by 7:00 this morning...

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Left my tickets at home so poked around a bit today. Super warm. Looks like it will better to use my ticket some day next week anyway.

Anyway, had visuals on four resorts and it is a fucking shame this one (yes, the one that is stacked (front side and back)) was the only one closed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4021.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	233168

I know it’s about the money, but unfuckingbelievable that Heavenly is open and Kirkwood is closed. (If you think with your snow brain). Seriously, look how stacked it is. Carson Pass zone in general looks way better than anything on the north, west or south shore.

Even the meadow is covered in snow. I was hiking dirt across that meadow on New Years and they had the whole resort open

Also saw a 20 minute line at Dipper today. Yeah, no one wants to ski in spring. Almost everyone I talked with bought a ticket today. Not pass holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Also saw a 20 minute line at Dipper today. Yeah, no one wants to ski in spring. Almost everyone I talked with bought a ticket today. Not pass holders.
    Comet went down again with a mechanical which caused a big line at Dipper. I was smelling gear oil so it's probably the same issue that took it down for weeks last year. It was super sticky by 11:30 anyway so no big deal because my family wanted to call it. Last weekend was a lot better with less people. I think everyone is getting their last turns in.

I was hoping to get that $99 for 4 friends deal at Rose next weekend, but I don't see it on their site so I guess they aren't doing that this year? Admittedly it was May when they were doing that last year so maybe it's too early for super deep discounting.

We enjoyed Rose a ton today.
    Plan was to hit up HV tomorrow for closing day and to meet friends...but man, think we may just go back on up there...

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^^^^ i would. With this warmth and stick you want steep and few run outs.

Skyos, I’d call Rose and ask. I saw the 4 for $99 on their site not too long ago. Maybe it is just a glitch.

So, I now have a Squawlpine ticket and no plan. Want to get up and use it. I had settled on skiing AM (at least in the morning), so kind of want to stick with that plan. But there does not look like there will be an overnight freeze this week.

I could possibly get out Tues, Fri or next Sun. Or just ski Squaw sometime after Sunday when conditions improve. Anyone think there will be good days this week with warmth and t storms. Or should I just forget AM for another season?

So, I now have a Squawlpine ticket and no plan. Want to get up and use it. I had settled on skiing AM (at least in the morning), so kind of want to stick with that plan. But there does not look like there will be an overnight freeze this week.

I could possibly get out Tues, Fri or next Sun. Or just ski Squaw sometime after Sunday when conditions improve. Anyone think there will be good days this week with warmth and t storms. Or should I just forget AM for another season?
    Overthinking. Go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Overthinking. Go skiing.
    To get a day, I’ve got to plan it. Too much shit to juggle. Rarely can I just go.

But anyway, that’s what I’ll do. Watch things and hope for a window to play. And not pick poorly.

Not quite conditions, but anyone know of any shops in the north Tahoe area that are selling kids demo skis & boots? Looking to pickup two sets in the 130cm range. TIA

To get a day, I’ve got to plan it. Too much shit to juggle. Rarely can I just go.

But anyway, that’s what I’ll do. Watch things and hope for a window to play. And not pick poorly.
    In short, if you want to ski at Alpine, you only have 7 days left to do it. Things were much better today on groomers due to more corn and less grabbiness. We could have skied bell to bell today. No more Sherwood or High T after today. If you wait too much longer, Scott will not be an option. Weather wise, the next three days will be warmer, and then things will be cooler with a chance of rain showers or even snow showers toward next weekend.

All in all...just do it. No day is going to be significantly better than any other at this point...except that sooner is probably going to be better than later.
    Last edited by gone2alpine; 04-22-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Not quite conditions, but anyone know of any shops in the north Tahoe area that are selling kids demo skis & boots? Looking to pickup two sets in the 130cm range. TIA
    I think I have some 130s laying around but it will be a couple weeks before I'm back up in Tahoe to check

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Anybody been MTBing yet? I saw a bunch of mtb'ers heading out to ride Jackass presumably off 89. Is that trail clear already?!
    Last edited by mcski; 04-23-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Finally, the mountain is all mine. ALL MINE! Muahahahaha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BAEEF70A-0F11-4E05-8FB7-4F7866F01A88.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	708.1 KB 
ID:	233356

Skyos, I’d call Rose and ask. I saw the 4 for $99 on their site not too long ago. Maybe it is just a glitch.
    Great idea, so I did and they aren't offering it, but they did say to check back later in the week.

I know it’s about the money, but unfuckingbelievable that Heavenly is open and Kirkwood is closed. (If you think with your snow brain). Seriously, look how stacked it is. Carson Pass zone in general looks way better than anything on the north, west or south shore.
    Perhaps vail could be forced to divest retroactively based on the clayton act due to monopolistic behaviors not foreseen prior to the purchase.
    i'm not a lawyer, but i'm drunk.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^^ Signature worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Anybody been riding yet? I saw a bunch of mtb'ers heading out to ride Jackass presumably off 89. Is that trail clear already?!
    A friend rode Animal Crackers yesterday and still encountered snow and had to do some hike a bike through sections. I assume there's still some of that around the higher part of jackass since those areas tend to melt off at a similar pace. Lloyd's and maybe Sawtooth are probably decent options by now, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Signature worthy.

A friend rode Animal Crackers yesterday and still encountered snow and had to do some hike a bike through sections. I assume there's still some of that around the higher part of jackass since those areas tend to melt off at a similar pace. Lloyd's and maybe Sawtooth are probably decent options by now, I would think.
    The double track climb still has snow, but the DH portion is good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fire road still has some snow patches, the single track portion of Jackass is good. Just need to make an out and back trip. Did a couple laps this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Deranged Trout View Post
    Fire road still has some snow patches, the single track portion of Jackass is good. Just need to make an out and back trip. Did a couple laps this weekend.
    Thx. Guess I'll throw my bike in the back next trip and and log a bike & ski day

I hear ya. When driving so far, and having so many days taken up with kids, it’s nice to strategize.

But I also know that for all those same reasons, I’ve overthought my plans and ended up not allowing myself to just get out and schralp.

YMMV but I’d hit the nice sunny days, follow the sun, and drink beer in the early afternoon.