Page 84 of 152 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 3783
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    More like snowMEHgeddon. It's thick and heavy. 31 at base of Squaw. Definitely gear soaking snow and heavy. Good spackling but storm will need to step up its output if the lower mtn is gonna get sufficiently covered to put away the rock skis
    With 11" reported as of 11am today at Rose, no lifts running today, and a forecast for twice that amount of snow overnight, I'd say it's pretty clearly shaping up for the best day of the season (or atleast since november) tomorrow.

Let us all reserve our sadness/ meh-ness for the weak layer currently getting buried...

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    YMMV, but if I were going for a single, do-all Sierra BC ski, I'd probably go 105-110mm, rockered tip, and under or close to 8 lbs., with some kind of standard tech binding. I'm sure there are a dozen models that would fit the bill, but skis like the Praxis Backcountry and Blizzard ZeroG 108 come to mind. I'd feel comfortable skiing both deep pow in February or a steep couloir in May with either ski.
    Good choices. I'd be tempted by the Head Kore 105 too, but I haven't skied it.
    not counting days 2016-17

Tomorrow may be fine, but today is meh. Especially for this guy (stay clear of 89 for a bit)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1187.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	226250

I ate shit at Kirkwood and probably can't ski this weekend, so don't worry there will be plenty of snow.. yer welcome
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Squaw runs lower mountain lifts, Alpine spins Roundhouse, and Sugar Bowl spins Disney and Jerome... and yet by 10am all Northstar had going was Arrow chair and they never even attempted to open Comstock (they didn't even bother digging it out)? Fuck that shit, I'm not getting an Epic pass next year for "wind insurance" like in the past. Talked to a few others today with the same reaction. This isn't January 2017 - you can't just blow off a day during a shit season when it finally snows.

They are saving all the snow for the weekend, so people can ski powder for one hour Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

They are hyping the shit out of this storm. KUNR just said "travel is going to be difficult, if not impossible" tonight.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

5-7 feet now to Sunday at the Wood is not hype. Will wait till Sunday b4 attempting the drive, roads permitting. Should B sum fresh due to avy control, later openings of some runs.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Will hang out and ski Monday too.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Squaw runs lower mountain lifts, Alpine spins Roundhouse, and Sugar Bowl spins Disney and Jerome... and yet by 10am all Northstar had going was Arrow chair and they never even attempted to open Comstock (they didn't even bother digging it out)? Fuck that shit, I'm not getting an Epic pass next year for "wind insurance" like in the past. Talked to a few others today with the same reaction. This isn't January 2017 - you can't just blow off a day during a shit season when it finally snows.
    Lol, I give Vail more benefit of the doubt than you. Checked the webcams this morning and it was windy as hell at the top of Northstar and the chairs weren’t really that covered. Around 8 patrol was up there with a snowmobile.

Northstar is more protected than resorts on the crest but it does get serious wind sometimes. I have skied wind slab in Northstar off the top in the trees. My guess is that this had to so with safety and I will back Vail’s call especially since SAC had the avy danger as high today everywhere. Everyone in Tahoe is powder starved so you know that poaching would happen if they opened the top and an accident might happen. That not only would be a tragedy but also very bad publicity for Northstar.

Wow Northstar. They are known for running during wind.

Jesus everyone is jaded/grumpy! Wait a day and then go find some powder...it does wonders.

See you all out on the hill (or maybe you'll just see the back of my jacket)!

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Lol, I give Vail more benefit of the doubt than you. Checked the webcams this morning and it was windy as hell at the top of Northstar and the chairs weren’t really that covered. Around 8 patrol was up there with a snowmobile.

Northstar is more protected than resorts on the crest but it does get serious wind sometimes. I have skied wind slab in Northstar off the top in the trees. My guess is that this had to so with safety and I will back Vail’s call especially since SAC had the avy danger as high today everywhere. Everyone in Tahoe is powder starved so you know that poaching would happen if they opened the top and an accident might happen. That not only would be a tragedy but also very bad publicity for Northstar.
    The entire appeal of Northstar is that they run lifts during storms because it’s wind protected. If they’re going to turn into huge pussies than fuck ‘em. I was on the second to last chair they loaded on Vista this morning and it was a little breezy but not that big of a deal. That shit makes KSL look gunho. Safety? They have like 3 potential slide paths on the entire mountain. Yeah, I’m done.

Did go for a nice couple of laps on sunrise bowl in the afternoon.... would much rather do that in the future than waste my money.

Some weird layer stacking out there.

Sugar Bowl tomorrow if anyone else is around.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^ nothing but ice and moguls at kwood
    And that was just off 5.

Lots of ski resort COOs and mountain managers in here today.

Quit bitchin' and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Lots of ski resort COOs and mountain managers in here today.

Quit bitchin' and go ride!
    I fucking did...

Presented a pretty clear case, I thought. Shit, I wish I hadn’t wasted my time before earning my turns. Could have done a few more laps.

I fucking did...

Presented a pretty clear case, I thought. Shit, I wish I hadn’t wasted my time before earning my turns. Could have done a few more laps.
    No argument from me. Sunrise > Northstar. Was it windy on top Sunrise Ridge?

I'll give props to Heavenly for running as much as they did today it was a windy fucker, started at Gunny and ended up at Boulder catching the last bus at 4:30ish, did not make it back to the California lodge till 5:40.

Nice Gimpy! North Bowl and Western Perimeter (2 feet deep at 4:15) were firing today besides the stuff further out

Clearly not all this storm, but these poles pushed down with very little resistance, there 50 inches long
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6817.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	226318

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6822.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	226320

So many factors that can cause a resort to close early on a storm day like today. Wind speed is just one of many factors on the list.

Man you sure do like to complain.

Skiing is fun, remember?

Feel free to post stoke from your day. I ended up having a great day and all I said is I’m done with the Epic pass.

Not much of a day for photos with the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I'll give props to Heavenly for running as much as they did today it was a windy fucker
    I've never had the wind literally blow the safety bar up before!

Somebody help me remember that touring during big nasty storms like this is dumb. It's cool being out in the storm but it's so much hassle to dig out a parking spot and still piss off the plow drivers and then dig out again when it's time to leave. Plus, the snow was heavy cake batter. It's great to have it. It's also just going to ski better tomorrow.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

But why ski tomorrow when you can ski today *and* tomorrow?

Flew into SMF from Minneapolis this evening. GF picked me up at 8:30 and we cruised into South Lake without any issue. A few mini white outs over Echo Summit, but other than that it was pretty standard winter driving. Take it slow, don't be an idiot, and you shouldn't have any issues.

I think Heavenly is going to be the call for me tomorrow. Neon green boots, blue pants, and old school Sanouks.