Page 10 of 152 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    When did jaliscos paint the men's toilet?!

I spent the day filling holes in the family quiver. Scored at the xc ski swap, scored at nuts, scored some small insulated kincos at ace, and scored some gear repair stuff at ace.

The south face of the Sierra buttes looked good from afar this morning.

Now back to putzing around with mountains of pine rounds at home. Looking forward to Monday/Tuesday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rose 11:11:17.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	215831

Up at Rose all day as Team Falcons begins for the 17/18 season. This is the view from the deck, and I wasn't motivated to get out and ski Wizard chair. But, my kid skied for five hours, met his coach etc.., so it was a productive day. My kid reported decent coverage with a few floating rocks on the two trails they skied. Hope they can keep blowing snow.

Keep an eye on next weekend, according to BA there could be heavy rain above 10,000'

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Keep an eye on next weekend, according to BA there could be heavy rain above 10,000'
    Saw that and got angry with the weather gods. If it's not going to snow below 7500 or so, at least let it not piss rain to make bike riding pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Models are in decent agreement for a dousing for the Sierras. Wed/Thurs of this week looking more and more interesting.

Right now, the jet seems aimed a little too far North for us to get low elevation snow. A little further south, and it might feel like last winter all over again. Way further south and we might end up with a proper Tahoe dump to lake level.

I have seen the potential for super high snow levels, but I'm going to look at pretty images from ~`114 hours out instead...

Name:	gfs_asnow_swus_20.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	215873

Also, don't come at me with "oooohhh you're going to jinx us!", I'll point you to early January of last years thread....

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post4894058

Today's noon gfs run is very wet indeed. Surprisingly so. Considering how it sat a week ago. Been an active pattern recently. If it is that wet, I sure hope it is cold.

All aboard the hype train!

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	215896

There's definitely been a trend in recent years where the storms coming in always project warmer 7-10 days out and then seem to get colder just a day or two before they arrive. Let's hope that's the case.

Was snowing down to 7200 at Castle/Andesite but not really sticking to anything but existing snow on Friday, but that made for easy touring on Saturday.

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	215984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	675.2 KB 
ID:	215987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5069.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	215985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5071.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	215986
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

My .02 is this looks like one where even day of models are going to have huge spreads and could be a huge bust or gangbusters dump. Won't know until late Wed night if we'll get any significant snow below 7500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Was snowing down to 7200 at Castle/Andesite but not really sticking to anything but existing snow on Friday, but that made for easy touring on Saturday.
    Dang that actually looks really good! Did you make some turns, or just skin the PCT trail to castle pass and back?

While on the ever-fun topic of snow levels, here's the trends over the last 10 winters (Dec-Feb) for the northern Sierra Nevada based upon the snow level radar network (left y-axis) and a calculation of snow fraction, or the fraction of precipitation falling as snow calculated using a super exciting calibrated hyperbolic tangent function at two weather stations (right y-axis; direction is reversed however). Black dots are the median snow level for a given winter and the capped bars show the upper and lower quartiles (top and bottom 25%).

From the slope estimates, the rates of snow level rise have been around 70 m (or 230 ft) per year with a decrease in snow fraction of about 3.3% per year. Boooo. It would be better if the lines sloped the other direction, but of course we know that a few low elevation snow level storms can really make a season $$$$$. Let's hope for some more of those soon.

Snow level and snow fraction trends during winters 2008-2017. From Hatchett et al. 2017 accepted.

This comes from a paper that was just accepted for publication yesterday after all kinds of fun peer review. When it's online I'll put the link as we explore why snow levels may be generally rising over the last decade.

Name:  washoe2.jpeg
Views: 642
Size:  369.1 KB

Field research on winter hydrometeorology in dryland regions with Dr. Morales. Early 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    This comes from a paper that was just accepted for publication yesterday after all kinds of fun peer review. When it's online I'll put the link as we explore why snow levels may be generally rising over the last decade.
    Really interesting stuff. Would be excited to read your paper, I think it could even help with my own research

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There's definitely been a trend in recent years where the storms coming in always project warmer 7-10 days out and then seem to get colder just a day or two before they arrive. Let's hope that's the case.
    Honestly, the current BA forecast looks perfect. You want this stuff to come down thick and heavy, right side up with a coldish finish. That is exactly what it looks like. Low base areas may suffer a little with thin cover, but at least the stuff between 7-9k will stick.

Will need to see how this pans out, along with the system next Sun-Mon. Current gfs has wide spread rain across the state. And quite warm. If this were to happen, and more of a reason to have a thick, wet base. Cold fluff would just wash away. Pray for fat high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Dang that actually looks really good! Did you make some turns, or just skin the PCT trail to castle pass and back?
    Only one lap on both days. Friday kinda sucked since I only brought up 70mm waisted and short rock skis and definitely could have used more surface area, but Saturday was perfect for it. Didn't hit anything either day which is nice. On Saturday there was a 5cm of fist hardness new snow on 5cm finger hardness crust on top of 35cmish of four finger hardness snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Honestly, the current BA forecast looks perfect. You want this stuff to come down thick and heavy, right side up with a coldish finish. That is exactly what it looks like. Low base areas may suffer a little with thin cover, but at least the stuff between 7-9k will stick.

Will need to see how this pans out, along with the system next Sun-Mon. Current gfs has wide spread rain across the state. And quite warm. If this were to happen, and more of a reason to have a thick, wet base. Cold fluff would just wash away. Pray for fat high pressure.
    Yeah, I was more concerned about next week and those projected higher temps. Hopefully they'll come down, just like they did for the storm coming later this week (10 days ago wed / thurs was projecting highs in the mid 40's).

sierra today. about a foot of very dense at the top running out at about 7700'
    Name:  IMG_3686.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  211.3 KB
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Sierra is open?

no but they are friendly to hikers. 'this land is your land' was how they put it
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Not posting in Gear swap
    I never liked these, I have two other pair of Touring boots. 26.5 Garmont Adrenalin's
    Hardly used 8 hours?

Before I throw them in the trash anyone want these?

Name:	Adrenilense.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	947.5 KB 
ID:	216032
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    no but they are friendly to hikers. 'this land is your land' was how they put it
    Man I wish more ski hills were more chill like that, especially the ones that are leasing forestry land...

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Not posting in Gear swap
    I never liked these, I have two other pair of Touring boots. 26.5 Garmont Adrenalin's
    Hardly used 8 hours?

Before I throw them in the trash anyone want these?

Name:	Adrenilense.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	947.5 KB 
ID:	216032
    Hey. Can I call dibs?
    Think that's my size.
    Pm incoming

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Hey. Can I call dibs?
    Think that's my size.
    Pm incoming
    they are yours, send PM just call next time your heading up 80 towards Truckee, I live in verdi
    I just have way to much "Stuff" around my house - double wide
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    ...Friday kinda sucked since I only brought up 70mm waisted and short rock skis...
    Wait.
    What.
    The.
    Fuck.

I thought to even post on TGR you had to ride something greater than 100mm and at least 190cm. Every. Damn. Day. No. Exceptions.

that said, there were a few days of patch skiing this summer/fall where I wish I'd brought my SL skis out.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en