Page 102 of 152 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3783
    Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Here is a video edit with an original soundtrack -

(This is from March 3rd, a Saturday. All skiing was in-bounds.)

Nice little edit. Inbounds on that Saturday with not one other person was not happening on the backside of Squaw that day...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Late to the party. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    After looking at White Wolf this morning just a handful of days after all of that snow we got last week, I just don’t see how that project is viable... how many weeks per year will that aspect actually be any good to ski? I guess the rich people who buy those houses could take the private lift and drop down the other side into Squaw? Otherwise it makes no sense to me. At least one side of all the houses will need to be concrete Snowbird lodge style too, which has its own logistical challenges being in prime avy terrain.
    Troy's plan, as of last Labor Day, includes two lifts. He wants to build out the existing towers, which will get his homeowners to the top of KT, and to build a second lift that would drop off just above the Alpine-side gondola midstation (which is itself planned to be just above the base station of the planned chair to Estelle). That would allow his homeowners to connect to the SVAM lift system to start their day, even when WW isn't skiable -- which he knows is most of the time.

He is quite proud of the avy-resistant housing engineering he's been doing.

I'm skeptical that he'll find people who are willing to pay the prices he wants for what he can offer. The pricing he's talking about puts them into the private plane ownership demographic, and at that price point, I think WW is too much of a tweener: They typically either want a setting with more people/restaurants/attractions in the immediate area, or they want total isolation, and WW offers neither. And of course, once they're in the plane, they will likely care more about whether they're likely to be able to land and what they'll have when they do, than about whether they'll have to spend an extra half hour or hour in the air. But to be fair, he only needs to find a couple of dozen people who like his middle ground.
    not counting days 2016-17

I know this should probably go in tech talk but figuring I could probably get a quicker answer here. Anybody ever have skis mounted by Sports Basement or REI in San Francisco? If so, which one did you go to? I typically get my skis mounted in Tahoe but currently in SF and won't get a chance to get up to Tahoe in time to drop off skis so have to get them done down here.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

^^ As someone who doesn't mount his own skis, I'd probably give it a shot before putting a fresh pair of sticks in front of whomever happens to be the tech at REI that day.

Good summary The Dad, I agree. Most people who can afford what he's proposing likely won't be interested. But whatever, I do think those calling him a sell-out are kind of harsh... it's just been such a long-time dream of his so he's desperate to get it done no matter what. I get it.

Storm looks legit so far. Giddyup.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    I know this should probably go in tech talk but figuring I could probably get a quicker answer here. Anybody ever have skis mounted by Sports Basement or REI in San Francisco? If so, which one did you go to? I typically get my skis mounted in Tahoe but currently in SF and won't get a chance to get up to Tahoe in time to drop off skis so have to get them done down here.
    I've used REI in San Carlos and Any Mountain in Redwood City without incident. The only issue I've ever had was in Tahoe.

In my experience, as long as you're looking for a relatively standard alpine mount, within the capabilities of the jig, you'll be fine. You'd be surprised how many actual skiers work at sea level, and how many mounts they do (and therefore, how much experience they get).

Is the fuck-up potential slightly higher? Probably. But the only way to eliminate the possibility of someone else fucking up your skis is to do it yourself -- then, at least, it's you fucking up your own skis.

I had a friend get his skis mounted at REI and the bindings were put on in the wrong direction! He didn't notice at first and then when I saw them I just burst out laughing. To be fair, they were twin tips, but still. He was not pleased! I'm laughing again just thinking about it.

But like The Dad said, a lot depends on the binding. I certainly wouldn't take a touring binding in there, but a regular DH binding will likely be just fine.

To be honest, I'd trust Sports Basement over REI but then again never did mounts at either. Like The Dad said, as long as its a standard binding and you make sure to let them know where to mount (center etc,) I wouldn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Mounted as close as possible to the front of the helmet but still allowing the camera to mirror the angle of my google lenses. I use 1080p 48fps in super wide mode on an original GoPro Session. I find it the most stable (non-jumpy with a tight helmet) point of view, however as flatter or groomed terrain I'd probably go for a chest mounted gimbal, but haven't made that leap.
    Agreed - you've got the POV nailed, thx for sharing the tricks. Just picked up a new session, and have it side-helmet-mounted. Works okay but I mounted with too much goggle in the POV. Also, I've left the image stabilization on and noticed it makes it noticeably worse and surprisingly jumpy for non-skiing footage. Guess it's time for some experimenting.

Anyway....I look forward to some TAHOE STOKE cuz it looks sick out there outside of my desk...

Here's something for now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0111820.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	228225
    sproing!

^^ You going to put together a Vista lodge TR? From what I've seen it looked pretty sweet.

With the GoPro 1080 Super wide view setting, you can pretty much put the camera anywhere on the center line of the forward half of your helmet and you'll still get enough skis and horizon in the shot without any helmet or goggles visible. Tried the forehead version and the very top and the difference was nearly indistinguishable, except that being further back did bring a little more view in on the sides of the frame (but not much).

Sports basement in Berkeley. If Bruce is still around ask for him. He's mounted 3 pairs for me and all have come out without issue, including a Dynafit mount.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks all! And yes, mount is for a straightforward Salomon STH binding so this gives me confidence that at the very least, they may not f* it up. And thankfully, skis are not twin tips....
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Take a sharpie and draw a line where you want your midsole. then print "MOUNT HERE" on that line. Be explicit that the bindings should be mounted on the line, write that on the form, even if there is no place for it.

When you pick up the skis, take the time to click in your boots and check that they mounted in the correct location. Then make sure they didnt mount diagonally. Then clamp the ski to the floor with your foot and do your damndest to try and rip the binding off to check for any looseness. Then ask for a posidrive screwdriver and quickly check all the screws to make sure there are no spinners.

the odds they fuck up the mount are super low, and it will likely be very obvious if they do.

Thanks all! And yes, mount is for a straightforward Salomon STH binding so this gives me confidence that at the very least, they may not f* it up. And thankfully, skis are not twin tips....
    In that case, I'd call ahead and see which one can get the mount done on the schedule that works for you and confirm pricing.

Good jigs do make the process fairly idiot-proof. But they keep building better idiots.

back from powderhouse. not as deep as i was hoping. old tracks not buried completely. still fun though. now off to mesa rim for youngest's bday
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Good jigs do make the process fairly idiot-proof. But they keep building better idiots.
    As a jong that mounts his own skis, I had to laugh at your comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    back from powderhouse. not as deep as i was hoping. old tracks not buried completely. still fun though. now off to mesa rim for youngest's bday
    Sb sucked too. Good first day (morning) after injury!

The main tech at BK Sports Basement, Tom, is legit. He's been doing it longer than some on this board have been around. He can mount (and tune) anything.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    As a jong that mounts his own skis, I had to laugh at your comment.
    We aim to please.

Big Ben will be taking you to school:

Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Carson City Chapter invites you to a special screening of "Saving Snow," a documentary film about climate change focusing on winter tourism and the economic threat of climate change. Following the event, an expert panel will discuss the local impacts of climate change in Northern Nevada.

Where: Western Nevada College, Marlette Hall
    When: Tuesday, March 27th 2018 at 6:00 pm.
    Cost: Admission is Free

The panel will include:

Brad Crowell, Governor Sandoval's Director of Energy and Conservation,

Dr. Ben Hatchett, DRI Meteorologist

March 27th will also be the evening for the Reno chapter monthly meeting. However, consider going to Carson City if you will miss the April 9th screening and panel in Reno.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Spread the Stoke, NO KT line after the first lap. Woooo woooo ,
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

This they need a wide angle lens on the SB snow "stake" Name:  lincoln2-2018-03-14_15_35_03.167.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  11.6 KB
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Pretty much a sleeper day at Heavenly, fast hero pow, fun times!

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Northstar was surprisingly good today. Boot deep blower with knee deep in spots and plenty of face shots. You definitely hit the bottom but it was soft and made the skiing more interesting. In true flatstar fashion plenty of freshies were available without much effort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180314_113821992.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	228278

Ive has two sets of fuck ups at KW. Now I mount my own. I know people who use SF Sports Basement and have had no issues. SF SB even help coiled a kids 4 Frnt foam core that got ripped out due to a KW mount. Kid weighs all of 50#. So that is three fuck ups at kw.