Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yes, I’ve only used them once. Won’t be at Squaw much but I’m sure they’ll come in handy during a few deep days at Sugar Bowl.
    Nice. I’ll be out in Tahoe quite a bit this season. We should have a double C&D rip around!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Technically I'm in charge of lost and found at flatstar so I looked through all of our logs and the only shiro we have listed is a single 183 with a marker binding. That looks like a demo that someone purchased during a sale somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Technically I'm in charge of lost and found at flatstar so I looked through all of our logs and the only shiro we have listed is a single 183 with a marker binding. That looks like a demo that someone purchased during a sale somewhere
    Yeah, it looks like demos. I just came across the photo on social media.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

GFS is throwing some serious water at Tahoe next week. Missed my chance for October CA turns. Would be sick to start the year off on a November pow day.

We are now four days out and this is the time where we should begin to see the models amplify the trough resulting in a severely rainshadow the event that cuts off before putting much moisture inside the basin.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

This is the time of the year when I post about skiing Upper Cham at Kirkwood on Halloween 2004...

http://www.slaythegnar.com/2004/11/n...loween-110604/

Haha

that remains the best opening day i've ever had. i still remember getting back to the bay area in time for a halloween show at the maritime hall.

I remember that month. I distinctly remember a sweet October 27 powder day. Pretty sure they were claiming a four foot base and I believed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

stoked about the calneva and the gondola... our office just put in a bid to run the calneva and I look forward to the days of skiing alpine and squaw without riding a shuttle or driving... the traverse/catroad was great when it was open but I guess they decided its not safe for people to hike/traverse above white wolf

Storms gonna be weak. Don't get yer hopes up

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    This is the time of the year when I post about skiing Upper Cham at Kirkwood on Halloween 2004...

http://www.slaythegnar.com/2004/11/n...loween-110604/

Haha

I remember skiing KW before Halloween in 2004. Still stands out in my mind as one of the coldest days ever at the wood.

I'm sure many of you are Powder Magazine subscribers and have already seen this. But for those of you that aren't I thought some of you might find the following article in Powder interesting.

New Powder (November edition) came in the mail last week and I finally got a chance to sit down this weekend and read it cover to cover. Towards the back of the mag an article caught my eye titled The Next American Ski Towns. Interesting read, the gist of it being what previously was considered the classic type ski town, i.e. Mammoth, Jackson, Telluride, Aspen, etc.. are now unaffordable (and have been for sometime) for the average skier looking to live in the mountains or move to a ski town. The article continued saying affordable options do exist, and the Satellite Ski Community is the new dream. Inside was their list.
    Snapped an iphone pic of the title page.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Next ski town.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	757.2 KB 
ID:	214881

I turned the page, and imagine my surprise to see the first city listed. Yep, our own "Biggest Little City". The one and only Reno, NV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reno.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	214882
    Who would have thought this 10 years ago when Reno was cratering. A drive thru South Reno and it appears every square foot of open space is being built on. Nice to see Rose getting some well deserved national props. Check out the article and I'ld be interested in anyone else's take on it. Cheers

2004 had an amazing start. I think I paid for my pass by the end of October.

That year we also had the powder plant explode. I think that was early November. My wife was on 11, and I was coming down the Wall to meet up with here. I stopped just above the 11 top station and noticed the lift was not running. Then noticed none were running. Then the plumes to black smoke and flames from below. Good times.

The other time I was skiing when the power plant burned down I was halfway down Pali on a super wind buff day when we saw the smoke. We stopped, put on skins and started to hike back up.

Didn't take long for the bay area cancer to take over Reno, and Carson is next. The next economic crisis is gonna be a big kick in the nuts for the whole area, but hopefully all the artificial wealth built on hype and farfetched ideas with no real value will come crashing down and what used to be the middle class can make up some ground. But yeah, the ski town dream just isn't happening anymore without a real job or a nice trust fund. And once the people that were lucky enough to get in a while back are all forced out, there will be no one left to serve the rich vacationers.
    And now back to the hype train...
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Stoked for the season. Just finished my season edit from last season, not sure where to post it so figure I'd throw it in here:

If your looking for an existing base if it happens to snow soon, took this shot of roundtop yesterday

Baseline recon - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Baseline recon - well done.
    indeed

Also, sick video powderhound

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

Nice video powhound - definitely saw you around with those skis / boots last year and pretty sure we talked a few times in the funi and/or hiking. Always funny to figure it out after the fact. I always feel stupid saying change for a nickel but probably should try it more often.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Great. The solution to the housing crisis is more sales tax.
    http://kunr.org/post/affordable-hous...ummit#stream/0

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

I turned the page, and imagine my surprise to see the first city listed. Yep, our own "Biggest Little City". The one and only Reno, NV.

Who would have thought this 10 years ago when Reno was cratering. A drive thru South Reno and it appears every square foot of open space is being built on. Nice to see Rose getting some well deserved national props. Check out the article and I'ld be interested in anyone else's take on it. Cheers
    I was told that the wait for an electrical contractor in Reno is a year. Other building trades in the Reno-Tahoe area are similarly impacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Great. The solution to the housing crisis is more sales tax.
    http://kunr.org/post/affordable-hous...ummit#stream/0

Better solution would be to increase the transient occupancy tax---and collect it-- and use the funds to subsidize deed-restricted (ie no short-term rentals) housing and adjusting zoning and permit fee schedules to encourage high density affordable housing. Currently in Truckee permit fees are per unit which severely discourages high density and most vacant land is zoned for low density.

I don't think deed-restricted affordable housing is the answer--let the market set the rates but build enough high density, small or very small units to keep the market purchase and rental rates reasonable. I do think forcing developers to comply with the affordable housing requirements they agreed to when their developments were approved needs to happen. Currently of all the recent developments in the Truckee North Tahoe area, only Northstar has built the affordable workforce units it promised to build. Moonshine Ink did a good story on this a year or two ago,

The solution to the housing crisis is an economic collapse. Beyond that it’s out of our control no matter how many taxes or initiatives you try, and you can’t build your way out of it either (unless someone is crazy enough to build so recklessly they’re willing to lose tens of millions of dollars). It’s a huge tidal-wave of economics that can’t really be manipulated. Not a popular answer but the majority of economists tend to agree.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

truckee ski swap is this saturday. never attended on a storm day. is this thing gonna be a bust this year? the past 6 or 7 years, it's been my reliable go-to for filling the holes in the kid's gear.

it's not specific to the tahoe basin or NV, but mckinsey did a fair bit of work for California on the overall state-wide problem: https://www.mckinsey.com/global-them...as-housing-gap

in the short-term, with work currently occurring on multiple disasters in CA and NV, skilled labor is generally stretched thin.