Looking to rent a bike(between SLC and moan) for the white rim, any shop/ bikerecomm

Moab*

Title pretty much says it all. My current options are bring my CX bike (probably worst option) bring an old tracer set up more like a sled with a double barrel, or rent a bike. Currently rent seems like the way to go and given what I know about the white rim, a lighter XC rig sounds like the ticket, unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll have time to get rowdy (only in town for that ride) so a hard tail 29er seems pretty ideal, but I'm having trouble finding one for rent. Anyone have any bike or shop recommendations, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Honey; 10-18-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Title misspelled via autocorrect

I have NOT done the WF, (its on my list) but based on other stuff around Moab its long, but NOT hard. I think a CK bike is a GREAT tool for the job.

I'm heading to Moab in a few weeks, bringing my pipeline for pipeline, Ahab, rockstacker, and bluedot. Bringing my CX for dead horse, navajo rocks, and jackson loop.

if you WANT to rent a bike, LOTS of place in town have rental bikes, and are all similar in price/quality etc.

White Rim has some fractured rock sections that require a real mountain bike. There are lots of miles of sandy roads but enough of the rough stuff that I would not advise doing it on a CX bike, although it is certainly possible. A light 29er would be a good call. I prefer a little rear suspension, but if you go with a hard tail I'd recommend big tires you can run at low pressure. Then again I'm partial to a cushy ride.

Lots of places to rent bikes in Moab, but I always go with my own, so don't know much about the specifics of the rental scene.
    Gravity Junkie

fat e bike. or a moto. cx bike would wallow. lots of sand.

Side note here, as of new NPS rules, e bikes are NOT allowed on WR. (At least that's what I read recently)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I have NOT done the WF, (its on my list) but based on other stuff around Moab its long, but NOT hard. I think a CK bike is a GREAT tool for the job.

I'm heading to Moab in a few weeks, bringing my pipeline for pipeline, Ahab, rockstacker, and bluedot. Bringing my CX for dead horse, navajo rocks, and jackson loop.

if you WANT to rent a bike, LOTS of place in town have rental bikes, and are all similar in price/quality etc.
    You're going to ride a cross bike on Navajo Rocks and Jackson's? Hmmm. Have fun with that.

I think he means Jackson Hole trail. Still, fuck that, never again. Whole trail is just a flat sand trap. Cross bike anywhere in Moab though, just no.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Side note here, as of new NPS rules, e bikes are NOT allowed on WR. (At least that's what I read recently)
    That's bizarre. Can you not drive dirt bikes and jeeps on the white rim? Seems dumb to ban e-bikes when motorized travel is allowed.

That's the rub...they have decreed that no motorized vehicles can ride it without a license...and you can't get a license for an ebike.
    Not that unlicensed dirt bikers don't ride it...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I recently rented at Contender bikes in SLC. Cheap but bad service-didn't have either of the two bikes I had reserved in advance. However $200/week for a carbon FS was a great deal compared to the Moab prices.

Great shop called Noble Cycles in Spanish Fork. Great prices.