Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I know I might be in the minority here but I'd probably spring for this in a touring layup (~1400g @ 177 or whatever). Wonder if they have any plans to offer such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I know I might be in the minority here but I'd probably spring for this in a touring layup (~1400g @ 177 or whatever). Wonder if they have any plans to offer such a thing.
    Next year’s Corvus freebird is flat camber, I think. The regular one is. A bit fatter, but still

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Care to make any specific Katana vs Daemon comparisons? I used to ski the metal 183/184 Katanas as the daily driver for 4-5 seasons. Loved them, but I always felt like the mount point was a little too rearward. As a subtle reverse camber ski with metal and a more progressive mount point, the Daemon looks super intriguing to me on paper.

Anyone had time on the women’s Daemon? My wife still skis her 176 metal Katanas most days, but sometimes wishes for an “easier Katana” when it’s not time to charge. Wondering if this might be the ticket...
    TBH no I've not really had much time on my Katanas. They are very different beats imo, the Deamon is much softer and weighs a lot less, it does however have that Volkl feel that I love. I spent most of this season on my home rockered Explosiv's which are heavier and stiffer than the Deamon but much less responsive. I would say as a weapon to deal with mank and chop the Explosiv' is still king but the Deamon is much more fun when it you have a mountain to play on and bumps to deal with.

The only thing is I've never skied the Manta in any form which is the Deamons main rival, I would have loved to have backed to back the M4 Mantra and Deamon. The 188 of the Deamon appeals to me as a one trip quiver.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Any sizing recommendations on the Daemons? I'd typically go with a 180 resort all mountain ski, so I'm debating between the 177 and 183. Initial inclinations were 177 as I'd rather go shorter but blister mentioned they skied a bit short.

I'd go 183. I felt the 188 skied short and wasn't too much effort to ski. They rip and have good grip when you get them over, but pivoty otherwise.

@alpinevibes: what size / weight are you?

I am undecided between 183 and 188 but tending to go 188 for 180cm and 74kg of me plus backpack.

Daemon vs Katana review

I spent a lot of time last year on the Katana in the alps, and this year on the daemon in a big storm in squaw valley, if you still want the report just send me a reply

Care to make any specific Katana vs Daemon comparisons? I used to ski the metal 183/184 Katanas as the daily driver for 4-5 seasons. Loved them, but I always felt like the mount point was a little too rearward. As a subtle reverse camber ski with metal and a more progressive mount point, the Daemon looks super intriguing to me on paper.

Anyone had time on the women’s Daemon? My wife still skis her 176 metal Katanas most days, but sometimes wishes for an “easier Katana” when it’s not time to charge. Wondering if this might be the ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    @alpinevibes: what size / weight are you?

I am undecided between 183 and 188 but tending to go 188 for 180cm and 74kg of me plus backpack.
    (never got it in the soft stuff) but I demoed the 183 and I', 95kg and 193cm. Never found them lacking for stability either. However I did order the 188 as my resort ski.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Thank you for your input. I am already happily skiing the 188s mounted at -1.5cm (for the record: I am still 180cm and 74kg plus pack)

I am happy that I went longer as they are very easy to turn/slide because of the full reverse chamber anyways. On the edge I like to have more running length.

I'm looking for a skinny Hoji ski (didnt like the raven)

Any thoughts on Daemon vs Hoji?

yup, they work, Feel like a skinny hoji.

Biggest thing is I can take them off edge at any point in the turn and smear as needed. glad I went 188 (vs 183) as the seem to ski small (due to full rockered?) Have a light, floaty feel to them, and only seem to react when I tell them too (not too turny etc)

overall happy with them

Glad to hear. I picked up a pair from STP as well and about to mount them up.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Glad to hear. I picked up a pair from STP as well and about to mount them up.
    I went -1cm on 295mm boot. I usuaully go back a bit of center
    Last edited by mntlion; 11-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

sizing

Looking to cop a pair of these for this seasons' all mountain quivers. Never skied a full reverse camber ski but from all the reviews and the way it skis it sounds like a perfect fit. Definitely to the point after reading so many reviews, I feel like i can't go wrong with them. Im a lighter skier so I really don't need a super stiff charger. Just wondering on sizing, last year I demoed 174 QST's and handled them fine... However I know these ski shorter. If I am 5'8" and 165lbs. You guys think the 177 will suffice or need to bump up to the 183s?

I'd say you are in between and will be fine with both sizes. Depends a bit on your preferences...
    I (178cm, 74kg or something) demoed the 183 and they felt really short. Went 188 and 1 or 1.5cm towards the tail with the mount and now they feel great but much more directional wich is what I was looking for. If you want to ski more playful and are already accustomed to centered mount points this might be different for you.
    Think of what skis you got and what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I'd say you are in between and will be fine with both sizes. Depends a bit on your preferences...
    I (178cm, 74kg or something) demoed the 183 and they felt really short. Went 188 and 1 or 1.5cm towards the tail with the mount and now they feel great but much more directional wich is what I was looking for. If you want to ski more playful and are already accustomed to centered mount points this might be different for you.
    Think of what skis you got and what you are looking for.
    Thanks for the advice! I am definitely looking for a ski to progress in freeski style something more playful, and working on switch this season, so maybe closer to center mounted on this one.

IYO, are skis ranging from 105-108mm too wide for an upper intermediate/advanced skier to progress in as a one ski quiver?

Quote Originally Posted by djbartlett21 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I am definitely looking for a ski to progress in freeski style something more playful, and working on switch this season, so maybe closer to center mounted on this one.

IYO, are skis ranging from 105-108mm too wide for an upper intermediate/advanced skier to progress in as a one ski quiver?
    To your last point you could consider the Corvus. Similar design and 107 uf. Closest thing to a one-ski quiver of the 30 skis I’ve tried in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    To your last point you could consider the Corvus. Similar design and 107 uf. Closest thing to a one-ski quiver of the 30 skis I’ve tried in the last 5 years.
    I like the width because IMO I know they will float better than a 99mm I don't really rip groomers all day which is why I would consider the wider width over the 99s. I just don't want to get too much ski that I won't be able to progress in and I have looked at the corvus but it looks/sounds like a big mountain charger!

I like the width because IMO I know they will float better than a 99mm I don't really rip groomers all day which is why I would consider the wider width over the 99s. I just don't want to get too much ski that I won't be able to progress in and I have looked at the corvus but it looks/sounds like a big mountain charger!
    I get that they’re labeled a big mountain charger and they do rip - but it’s their intuitive nature and ability to point & shoot in any condition that makes them so skiable for anyone; upper intermediate to advanced.
    There’s a thread here. I’ve pumped these skis up so much I’m going to save the rest of the maggs from hearing it again.

Rad OK! Im going to dive into that thread, so you think they are more versatile than the Daemon's due to the width and stiffness?

Black Crowes Daemon

Rad OK! Im going to dive into that thread, so you think they are more versatile than the Daemon's due to the width and stiffness?
    I think your answer is more related to where you ski. West -> yes. East -> Daemon could serve better. Personally even on East I’d grab Corvus and another cheaper used ski for icy hardpack type days.
    My wife skis the birdie Daemon as a daily and she’s loving it. She does have a pow ski and 85 uf ski to compliment them though.

Moving to Fort Collins, CO this spring

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I get that they’re labeled a big mountain charger and they do rip - but it’s their intuitive nature and ability to point & shoot in any condition that makes them so skiable for anyone; upper intermediate to advanced.
    There’s a thread here. I’ve pumped these skis up so much I’m going to save the rest of the maggs from hearing it again.
    Checked out that thread sounds like they really are amazing!! Starting to re look at the Atris now though as it is twin twip and more playful than the Corvus. Has more camber but sounds like they still pivot well...Whats your take on the Atris compared to the Corvus?

My daughter has 2 days on the Daemon Birdie and she likes them. Took about 1/2 day to get used to how quickly they pivot. They ski short and she was overturning at first. She’s on 157 at 5’4”, 120#.

Checked out that thread sounds like they really are amazing!! Starting to re look at the Atris now though as it is twin twip and more playful than the Corvus. Has more camber but sounds like they still pivot well...Whats your take on the Atris compared to the Corvus?
    I skied the 189 Atris and own the 183 Corvus, which I like far better. The Atris was just OK; a little vague and don’t do anything great, whereas the Corvus meshes better with my style and felt dialed from the start.

Neither ski has a lot of rebound on groomed, so the flat vs camber thing doesn’t seem to make much difference. Didn’t really find the Atris more playful than Corvus, either.

I had previously owned Sickles and Faction Candides, so I’ve been used to the feel of camber skis.