Thread: RIP Mr. Downie

RIP Mr. Downie

Sad day for music lovers, especially in Canada. Gord Downie lost his battle...
    Hard pressed to find a Canadian over 18 who doesn't like at least a track or two.
    He was a poet and we will be singing his prose for years to come.
    I'm sure there are many many friends to the south who have no idea how important The Tragically Hip were to our Nation.

Saw a post in the music Forum, but more eyes here.

It's been a bad week for Canada.

Amazing frontman, wordsmith, gentleman and scholar.

Fuck, just heard this. He will be missed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

May the cold wind continue to blow over his private parts.
    I remember that album well in my formative freshman year of college.

I was in that little local employees bar in Waterton Lakes in the late 90's and the jukebox was full of their music. Made me a fan for life. My favorite tune was Flamenco. RIP to a great human.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I am a bit suprised that anybody down there would even know who the hip is cuz while they were huge in Canada I don't think they went for major airplay in the US

lots of hip music on CBC today
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^ late breaking news on the CBC

You could honestly have a complete conversation with most Canadians entirely in his lyrics.

All day at work today... Some amazing music.

https://www.facebook.com/CBCPolitics...6103626418464/

Couldn't find the vid without FB.

Nothing more Canadian than our Prime Minister crying over the loss of a national icon. And of course the comment section on the CBC FB site is going off. It doesn't always have to be about politics, yet it always is. Canadians are genuinely nice folk. Then I go online and realize we are just a bunch of assholes...
    Last edited by jetski; 10-18-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I am a bit suprised that anybody down there would even know who the hip is cuz while they were huge in Canada I don't think they went for major airplay in the US

lots of hip music on CBC today
    Check out the article in the local paper.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ing/777058001/

I think I mentioned in a post last year when the news broke that I first saw them in the late 80's when they were first signed. They were giving out cassettes.

I left that first show with my ears ringing and a huge smile. Saw many of the other shows in VT.

Just listened to the Q program from yesterday, very moving. VPR played it last night. Lots of Hip fans in VT.
    Last edited by Flounder; 10-19-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Edited to add that after listening to the Q it's clear Gord never wavered on the idea of giving back to the fans as expressed in the cassette liner.

Went and saw another amazing Canadian band last night - Broken Social Scene. Of course much of the banter last night was Gord related. One especially poignant moment was when Kevin Drew (lead singer) had everyone "think of the greatest moment of their lives, and at the same time the worst moment of your lives".

"Now on the count of 3 scream out Gord's name at the same time mustering all the feelings those 2 moments generate". We did it a few times, I teared up and my voice is hoarse today.

The world will miss Gord Downie. Hope his new journey amongst the stars is going well.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    True, if it was not for hanging out in that little bar I would have never heard of them. Never heard them on the radio here in the states.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

saw the Hip only twice but the 1st time was my favourite. From the getgo Gord had a light about him and personified what being Canadian is all about. I mourn his loss

Btw
    Bobcaygeon is one of those songs that still gives me the chills.

RIP Gord
    Last edited by Kenny Satch; 10-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.

"I saw the constellations reveal themselves one star at a time"

Such a great lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

Such a great lyric.
    Absolutely

If you haven't heard it, here's a 4 hour long (!!!) podcast where Canadian musicians pay tribute to the Hip by covering their songs. George Stroumboulopoulos did an incredible job curating this.

http://strombo.com/radio/episode/hip...ragically-hip/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStromboShow/videos
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 10-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.

T-Hip...one of the most Canadian things ever. As mentioned, very popular in VT. Who else do you have? Rush, Corb Lund, Ceilen Dion?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Who else do you have? Rush, Corb Lund, Ceilen Dion?
    Definitely not nickleback

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

Such a great lyric.
    I left your house this morning,
    'Bout a quarter after nine.
    Coulda been the Willie Nelson,
    Coulda been the wine

When I left your house this morning,
    It was a little after nine
    It was in Bobcaygeon, I saw the constellations
    Reveal themselves, one star at time

Drove back to town this morning,
    With working on my mind
    I thought of maybe quittin',
    Thought of leavin' it behind

Went back to bed this morning
    And as I'm pullin' down the blind,
    Yeah, the sky was dull and hypothetical
    And fallin' one cloud at a time

The first 4 stanza's have always spoken to me on a profound level. That post euphoria walk home, contemplating the juxtaposition between the high you just experienced and the mundane.

Live Between Us is one of my all time favorite albums. I sound that disk for easily 1000 hours of my life.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Album was missing a couple of their best. But I got by on wherewithal and courage. Found a couple on YouTube now and it's amazing the youth memories I associate with the Hip.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    T-Hip...one of the most Canadian things ever. As mentioned, very popular in VT. Who else do you have? Rush, Corb Lund, Ceilen Dion?
    Stompin Tom Connors was the epitome of Canada for many years but he recently passed,

Corb lund is coming to town on the 8th ...got my ticket

I'm liking Tim Hus, buddy is like the new stompin Tom he writes songs about Canada not yer dog dying & yer girlfriend leaving you. Tim is playing a home routes concert next month, my buddy used to do those home routes concerts at his house but then had to clean up the house so now they are downtown in his light & kitchen store. Duno if they have those where you live, Home routes concerts are in some ones living room and the artist gets the whole gate which is always like 20$ a head and you can bring yer own bottle

yeah so you can keep Celine Dion down there in Vegas eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know