The bigger badass. You or your parents?

Pretty sure my mom is "on duty" as a patroller in Maine in this pic. She probably would just stick me in a tree well if she needed to work.

I currently drop my daughter off at ski school most of the time. Point: Mom. (Went on the slopes with her last year and her form is still perfect at 68).

Name:  maPatrol.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  85.3 KB

Dad lied about his age to join the Navy at 17.
    Point: Dad.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Dad lied about his age to join the Navy at 17.
    My dad lied about his age to join the Marines at 17. Was under continuous fire for two months in the S. Pacific during WWII

The bigger badass. You or your parents?

My dad skied in jeans and a wind shirt and a cowboy hat with a hudge handlebar and sideburns and a Marlboro Light in his mouth and a couple Coors in his pocket or a bota bag of wine under his arm. I don’t remember him ever wearing goggles, just his photo-chromatic everyday glasses. Oh and he wore Scott Racers and rode Hexels.

Point: Dad
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Dad fought off Chinese human wave attacks in the Korean winter with a BAR, Mom survived driving over a land mine in Africa working as a NGO, both win
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Mom taught in NYC public schools for over 30 years

Point: Mom

My dad was offered a full-ride wrestling scholarship to UCLA. Even today he would undoubtedly kick my ass in hand-to-hand combat if we ever came to blows.

My mom dropped out of college at 19, flew to South America with a friend and spent a year dirtbag traveling the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    My dad skied in jeans and a wind shirt and a cowboy hat with a hudge handlebar and sideburns and a Marlboro Light in his mouth and a couple Coors in his pocket or a bota bag of wine under his arm. I don’t remember him ever wearing goggles, just his photo-chromatic everyday glasses. Oh and he wore Scott Racers and rode Hexels.

Shit. You and I might have the same dad.

Mom worked nights in ICU for 20+ years, came home, slept for a few hours, did kid activities (XC/track/soccer games), most often prepped dinner, then went back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

My dad was on the Nobel college.
    He was tricked into signing up for the Navy and never spoke of his time in the South Pacific.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Mom was high school principal in San Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Could be. He adopted me.

Pretty sure my mom is "on duty" as a patroller in Maine in this pic. She probably would just stick me in a tree well if she needed to work.

I currently drop my daughter off at ski school most of the time. Point: Mom. (Went on the slopes with her last year and her form is still perfect at 68).

Name:  maPatrol.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  85.3 KB
    lost valley ski area? Not big enough for tree wells!

dad has worked as a firefighter for almost 30 years, each shift potentially putting his life at risk to save someone theirs.

Point: dad
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    lost valley ski area? Not big enough for tree wells!
    Ding. Not at age 0, but later on they'd just leave me with the bartender and the donut machine.

I love my parents (RIP) but they weren't all that badass. I mean, they took care of shit and everything, but they were kind of mild.

The old man
    First family car was a 57 chev. After a week , mom was walking down the street to the house with baby me and discovered the 57 with windows smashed out, netting installed and big painted numbers. Stock car/fAmily car. Then mom became the bad ass and every time after she had to crawl in the window

The Old Man, who, as an Army Sgt in WWII hit a landmine while driving a truck on D-Day +8 in France. One of his passengers, an officer, died instantly. The landmine blew the Old Man into the air 20+ feet and knocked him out. He landed on his ass in a sitting up position, breaking his back in several places. He blew out both eardrums, one of which did not heal and rendered him single side deaf (which I have in common with him, although the other ear).

20+ years after he got hit, when I was a kid, I watched him dig a shard of shrapnel out of his leg with a pocket knife. He was in pain the rest of his life, in and out of hospitals, but I never heard him complain, although the pain often made him a miserable and mean SOB.

Ma was also a bigger badass than I. She grew up during The Depression without a father, who spent his final years in a VA hospital after getting hit in WWI. Her old lady was a deadbeat and they moved from town to town to avoid creditors. Ma went changed schools 15+ times, but nonetheless graduated valedictorian of her senior class.

Pretty much everyone I knew of that generation were bigger badasses than pretty everyone I knew of my generation.

harry?

Me I guess. My dad was a meat buyer for the Army in Chicago at the start of the war, since he was a butcher. He bought the good meat for the enlisted men and the bad meat for the officers so they sent his ass to New Guinea to be a lab tech. He did come under fire once--from US bombers. Mainly he was miserable sleeping in a floorless pup tent in a rain forest, as a result of which he never slept on the ground again or did anything more outdoorsy than sit by a lake and watch us play. Mainly he worked. OTOH my kids are both way more badass than I am.