Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,444

    Utah/SLC Mags: Xmas Ski Options?

    So, my wife wants to take a ski vacation (always a plus) but the only time she can make it work for now is during the week between Christmas and New Years. Growing up in a ski town, I know that resorts are CRAZY during those weeks and that you can spend all your time waiting in lift lines and dodging gapers on the slopes. It is generally a time I avoid resorts if I have the choice.

    We've been thinking about Utah because we can also head out to the national parks before or after- but for all you SLC mags out there, is a trip during this time period a horrible idea? Are there any resorts, e.g., lesser known ones, where we'd be able to get some good skiing in and not spend all of our time on the line ride?

    Or, does anyone have any ideas for good resorts, Utah or otherwise, where we could have a good time during this week?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Skiing during your summer
    Posts
    295
    We're going to Whistler BC next year for Xmas... Going for a month so hopefully it calms down a bit after the crazy time. Wife wanted a white Christmas and I get to ski. I feel your pain...

    Maybe a smaller ski hill or resort would be quite during that time? Assume anything half decent will be packed though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    the rock SE IDAHO
    Posts
    151
    Start looking at Craigslist for slc and stay at snowbird cheap. Get the mountain collective and that is 2 at the bird and 2 Alta.

    At times it will be busy but keep moving around. Both places will make you happy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    214
    I wouldn’t be scared to visit Utah during this time. The NPs can be great that time of year. Christmas Day itself is normally pretty low key and a late crowd at most of the resorts. Do your homework or send me a PM and you should be able to avoid any massive lift lines.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the shadow of the wasatch
    Posts
    2,631
    Think powder mountain...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    3,012
    You're in luck! One of the least visited resorts in the Wasatch is actually a hot bed of maggot hook ups! I'm not sure if you've heard of "Solitude." But, it's a little known resort that is seemingly overlooked by all the powder starved folks that live in the Salt Lake valley.

    At Solitude you'll not only find uncrowded powder fields, but also one of the little known TGR secrets. There is a user named "Iceman" that owns a condo at Solitude, he's known to give killer deals on renting said condo. I can personally vouch for the digs, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Iceman doesn't like dealing with the general public about his killer deals, so he has recruited a property management company to handle his business. Thankfully, one of the agents in the management company frequently posts here as well. Search for the username "rontele", Ron handles Iceman's rental schedule.

    Have fun on your vacation, if it's like the last several years I'm sure you'll find crowds to a minimum!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,940
    Eden Utah vrbo/airbnb

    Split time at snow basin (if it's sunny) and pow mow (if it's dumping.)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,301
    No, it's the opposite.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,237
    Personally, I'd just book airline tickets into SLC and a rental car. Then get a regular hotel room that you can cancel right up to the day you arrive, as a place holder.
    Watch the weather and be as flexible as possible.

    Your wife would probably like Sundance.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Personally, I'd just book airline tickets into SLC and a rental car. Then get a regular hotel room that you can cancel right up to the day you arrive, as a place holder.
    Watch the weather and be as flexible as possible.

    Your wife would probably like Sundance.
    Spring for a rental with 4wd/awd. They restrict the canyons to 4wd/chains when it snows.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    40°39'32.94"N 111°35'45.68"W
    Posts
    671
    Lack of crowds is a major plus imo. That being said your best options are prolly:
    -PowMow
    -Solitude
    Both are phenomenally fun, IMO, but if you need super gnar, then ya have to head up LCC.
    *haven’t been to Sundance yet but the wife has it high on her list. Females do seem to love that place for some reason

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,471
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    You're in luck! One of the least visited resorts in the Wasatch is actually a hot bed of maggot hook ups! I'm not sure if you've heard of "Solitude." But, it's a little known resort that is seemingly overlooked by all the powder starved folks that live in the Salt Lake valley.

    At Solitude you'll not only find uncrowded powder fields, but also one of the little known TGR secrets. There is a user named "Iceman" that owns a condo at Solitude, he's known to give killer deals on renting said condo. I can personally vouch for the digs, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Iceman doesn't like dealing with the general public about his killer deals, so he has recruited a property management company to handle his business. Thankfully, one of the agents in the management company frequently posts here as well. Search for the username "rontele", Ron handles Iceman's rental schedule.

    Have fun on your vacation, if it's like the last several years I'm sure you'll find crowds to a minimum!
    Rontele totally hooked us up a few years ago! Good call!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,497
    I once waited 1 hr. to purchase lift passes at Solitude on 12/26. Gapers wherever, incl. LCC and BCC. Whatever you decide, purchase tickets in advance and don't think about renting equip. If this was my only week, I'd probably consider the Ogden resorts
    "My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police." M. Thatcher (RIP)
    "...
    Judges smoke it, even the lawyer too...So you've got to legalize it..." Peter Tosh

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1

    I was in PC between Xmas and NY 2 years ago

    Had a great day at Snowbasin. Zero crowds. Two gondolas and a small tram plus a half-empty parking lot meant zero lift lines. PCMR was the worst. Big lines at the base for lift, lunch, lift tickets, everything. We also hit Snowbird, Solitude, and Sundance, which were all somewhere in the middle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    860
    As a christmas week skier in utah and actually all the winter holidays you have some good suggestions. We are season pass holders to Solitude and generally its navigable if you stay at the mountain. Avoiding the drive up LCC and BCC at all costs is a time saver in my opinion.
    I saw a real shitshow this past year driving up to Snowbasin thought. The access road was nut to but the whole way up and limited parking.
    park city sucks.
    This year due to work schedules and they way the kids are out of school I will be their the entire week before. I used to dread it,Holiday skiing that is< but it stretches the PTO and really I'd rather wait around a lift line any day then be at work. So be optimistic.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,040
    Fly into SLC. Rent a car and drive 5 hours up to Targhee. Minimal crowds, and if lookers right from the bottom isnt sendy enough for you, drive 40 mins over the pass to jackson.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Eden Utah vrbo/airbnb

    Split time at snow basin (if it's sunny) and pow mow (if it's dumping.)
    This will definitely be the most low-key option. As mentioned elsewhere, Solitude is also great.

    If you're going to do Solitude with your wife, IMO either stay there at the condos/etc at Solitude, or stay in downtown SLC (meaning walking distance from say, State St @ 200 S). There are loads of hotels that should be relatively inexpensive then, and you can do shit besides eat at the Chili's in the mall in Midvale or whatever. It's not much further a drive and a lot nicer a vacation option. See the Nutcracker at night or see some museums, eat at some nice restaurants (feel free to PM me for an exhaustive list as I have eaten at virtually all of them), etc. Also, with respect to the national parks, IMO Canyonlands/Arches/Moab is way more bang for your buck than trying to do Bryce/Zion.

    Unless you're just dirtbagging to ski, in which case do whatever's cheapest. Either way,

    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Spring for a rental with 4wd/awd. They restrict the canyons to 4wd/chains when it snows.
    Definitely do this. It seems to always snow around xmas and you don't want to be stuck on the bus for $15/day extra or so.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,301
    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    This will definitely be the most low-key option.
    Apre up there is lower key than two Ambien washed down with red wine. Is there any place even to get a meal?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Apre up there is lower key than two Ambien washed down with red wine. Is there any place even to get a meal?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    lol well there’s the “Mexican” place... it’s unterrible but not open late.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    1,940
    Apres- who gives a shit? On vacation with the family? Ski your legs off, make a nice dinner, a bottle of wine, start a movie for the kid(s), sex, sleep, repeat.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,301
    Pretty hard to "make a nice dinner" after you've "skied your legs off".

    Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Pretty hard to "make a nice dinner" after you've "skied your legs off".
    So fuckin classic bunny. You're literally my favorite hahaha

    We were starving last winter, all that powder, all that skiing, everyone was too tired to cook, no one ate and all the food rotted. The famine of 2017

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    35,301
    How do you eat with that mask on your face, bruh?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,219
    Xmas is the busiest time of the ski season, no matter the ski area. I'd avoid PC if possible, LCC will be next up for most busy after that crowds should be more on the manageable side.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Start looking at Craigslist for slc and stay at snowbird cheap. Get the mountain collective and that is 2 at the bird and 2 Alta.

    At times it will be busy but keep moving around. Both places will make you happy.
    Mountain Collective also has 2 days at Snowbasin which would likely be one of the less crowded options. I think the MCP is $489 right now so you can get 2 days each at Alta, Bird, Snowbasin and since you are from Boston 2 days at Sugartush. You also get an extra bonus day at one of the places. Great deal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •