Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Nation Courts Amazon for HQ2

Cities are foaming at the mouth to land Amazon's HQ2. Which city is selected? Billions of dollars in incentives are being offered. Are they reasonable? No doubt HQ2 will be an economic boon with good jobs for the area that lands it. How many of those jobs filled from a local pool of applicants?

Moody's top ten:

Austin
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    Rochester
    Pittsburgh
    NYC
    Miami
    Portland (OR)
    Boston
    SLC

Personally I think Atlanta fits the bill for everything they’ve been asking in a target city.

And it gives ATL the extra 50,000 workers and their associated 200,000 friends, family and other hangers-on that the city has been clamoring for.

In all seriousness I’ve been following along with this story for a while and one city has an interesting carrot to dangle that the others don’t, and surprisingly it’s Cleveland. Their council or county govt (can’t temember which) is saying they should offer up Burke Lakefront Airport for the HQ2 campus. 450 acres of the most prime lakefront property directly on the light and heavy rail lines, highway, and walking distance to downtown, not to mention the prime backdrop and views.

The city has been trying to figure out what to do with it as the lakefront has been developed on all sides around it. This would be one hell of a poker chip.

As a former Amazon Web Services exec told me recently, the trend isn’t to get everyone closer to the tech (SV) its to get closer to the customer. Well, you can’t get much more central to the customer than in the Great Lakes Region.

It’ll be fun to see how all this shakes out.
    I still call it The Jake.

You're forgetting Vancouver and Toronto. They aren't just eyeing the US.
    Vancouver is too close to Seattle and too expensive. Toronto fits the bill perfectly.

If they move to a state with an income tax I'll be surprised.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I'm having a hard time seeing Austin or Rochester due to lack of immediate international airport access. High level people don't want to have to hop a flight to Dallas/Houston or Toronto to get places. Portland strikes me as too close to current HQ to attract workforce that they can't get in Seattle. NYC is likely out (and likely Boston too) as Amazon has explicitly said they want a lower cost of doing business (living costs, expected wages etc) than Seattle.

Family member who works on national-level biz recruitment deals like this says that most people in her circles see Atlanta as the most likely spot. Denver's also on the list -- NYT's explains why: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html

The Nation Courts Amazon for HQ2

Denver is a front runner too, but they should go east or south. Austin needs more shitty traffic , build it there

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm surprised Londonderry, VT is not on that list.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I thought Minneapolis was a good choice. Then I remembered this is home to Target.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Cities are foaming at the mouth to land Amazon's HQ2. Which city is selected? Billions of dollars in incentives are being offered. Are they reasonable? No doubt HQ2 will be an economic boon with good jobs for the area that lands it. How many of those jobs filled from a local pool of applicants?

Moody's top ten:

Austin
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    Rochester
    Pittsburgh
    NYC
    Miami
    Portland (OR)
    Boston
    SLC
    rochester...oye

Clearly Gary, Indiana is the front runner.

City motto - No longer the murder capital of America!

www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/21/how-poor-decaying-gary-indiana-is-fighting-to-win-amazons-heart/?utm_term=.9c3482f7281e

ATL is biggest logistical hub S of NYC. Possibly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    ATL is biggest logistical hub S of NYC. Possibly relevant.
    Memphis?

They should look into San Juan. Pleanty of cheap land, ample wind power, and most of the Puerto Ricans have moved away.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I vote not Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Jesus christ on crutches. Bmills I expect better of ya.

atlanta IS NOT courting Amazon HQ2.

DUNWOODY is. DUNWOODY.

We got state farm. pretty soon, buckhead'll be a dayam dunwoody suburb (however the fuck suburb its spelled).

Get yer facts straight.
    DUNWOODY
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    They should look into San Juan. Pleanty of cheap land, ample wind power, and most of the Puerto Ricans have moved away.
    True, but maybe you haven't heard: Puerto Rico is surrounded by big water. Ocean water.

I'd be sort of surprised if the HQ2 selection is west of the Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post

Moody's top ten:

Austin
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    Rochester
    Pittsburgh
    NYC
    Miami
    Portland (OR)
    Boston
    SLC
    So many shitholes in this list that I would die a slow death in. Glad I am not a candidate for hire.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Glad I am not a candidate for hire.
    You're not from Mumbai?

But it would alter your perspective of the shitholeness of list if you were.

Anyone know why the average (non Amazon employee) family would want an Amazon HQ in their community?

Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Jesus christ on crutches. Bmills I expect better of ya.

atlanta IS NOT courting Amazon HQ2.

DUNWOODY is. DUNWOODY.

We got state farm. pretty soon, buckhead'll be a dayam dunwoody suburb (however the fuck suburb its spelled).

Get yer facts straight.
    DUNWOODY
    Well, I was going to add to my original comment that I’m so damned glad I live ITP and never have to use the highway, cause this is about to make it all that much more enjoyable.

Yeah, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Smy-nings and points north are crushing it these days bringing in national HQ’s like Mercedes Benz last year.

If they were smart Amazon would scoop up some comparatively cheaper land closer to Latoya Jackson Intergalactic Soaceport and Nail Emporium like Porsche did for their new NA HQ.

Then again you’d never see anyone from middle management in the office because they’d be in traffic 6 hours a day retreating back to the northern suburbs.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Anyone know why the average (non Amazon employee) family would want an Amazon HQ in their community?

Serious question.
    Depends on your community.

But I guess if you were, let's say ....a construction worker in Pittsburgh the idea might have some appeal?

But yes development and growth for it's own sake does seem to be a vanity project for local politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Serious question.
    Drive up the property values so they can cash out and move to Mountain Town USA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Drive up the property values so they can cash out and move to Mountain Town USA.
    where they will complain there are no jobs for real working folks, and court companys to move to Mountain Town USA to bring employment for they and their friends (if the cash out wasn't big enough for a trust fund).

the places that could really use it (Cleveland, Twin Cities) probably won't get it. they are going to need some growing local companys to stop the brain drain to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This. God, I hope Denver/SLC don't get it.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."