Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    I would never try to deny the many obvious downsides and complications to existing residents of an area when something like this happens. However, I can't help but notice the consistent negative attitude that people generally have towards the technology industry which is generally speaking offering some of the better paying jobs available today. There is a broad assumption that working at a factory making hard goods is inherently admirable in a way that making IP or providing other services could never be. I don't get it.

Person A: "We want good jobs! With high pay! And benefits!"

Person B: "What about this one? It probably requires a college degree, and spending a lot of time on a computer...."

Person A: "Not that kind of job!!!" (Goes back to surfing the web on their phone, watching Netflix, playing video games, and buying things online.)

For full disclosure, I work for a technology company that is not Amazon. I haven't found the industry to be the utter hellscape it's purported to be.

It's our innate hate of nerds. Rich nerds is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I would never try to deny the many obvious downsides and complications to existing residents of an area when something like this happens. However, I can't help but notice the consistent negative attitude that people generally have towards the technology industry which is generally speaking offering some of the better paying jobs available today. There is a broad assumption that working at a factory making hard goods is inherently admirable in a way that making IP or providing other services could never be. I don't get it.

Person B: "What about this one? It probably requires a college degree, and spending a lot of time on a computer...."

Person A: "Not that kind of job!!!" (Goes back to surfing the web on their phone, watching Netflix, playing video games, and buying things online.)

For full disclosure, I work for a technology company that is not Amazon. I haven't found the industry to be the utter hellscape it's purported to be.
    It's the gnawing reality that we have told these companies too much about our lives in exchange for too little. They aren't look out for anyone except #1, despite their "dont do evil" etc, credo's.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    It's the gnawing reality that we have told these companies too much about our lives in exchange for too little. They aren't look out for anyone except #1, despite their "dont do evil" etc, credo's.
    What large companies that hire thousands of workers and pays them high salaries fits your criteria?

I understand the sentiment that people find the large tech company’s actions problematic or immoral. The consolidated power these companies hold is unprecedented and I don’t think that’s a good thing. However, I don’t think that explains the sentiment I described towards technology jobs and workers. Many large companies that produce hard goods aren’t exactly angels. Yet, people scream for more coal jobs, more oil jobs, more manufacturing jobs, more construction jobs. Meanwhile the demand for technology workers, medical workers, etc is enormous. The education and training gap is huge, so that’s clearly part of it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/the-9-...e-than-100000/

I see lots of negativity but not exactly that negativity. Mostly clog our roads, make home and rent prices too high, clog our roads, make restaurants too busy, artificiality raise prices on common goods, clog our roads, and take money from the tax payers needlessly.

I have to admit I'm not that well versed on the subject which is why I'm reading this, but I was just going to look for the positive if they came. Another 10% bump on house value, cool. Roads clogged, yeah what else is new.

What large companies that hire thousands of workers and pays them high salaries fits your criteria?

I understand the sentiment that people find the large tech company’s actions problematic or immoral. The consolidated power these companies hold is unprecedented and I don’t think that’s a good thing. However, I don’t think that explains the sentiment I described towards technology jobs and workers. Many large companies that produce hard goods aren’t exactly angels. Yet, people scream for more coal jobs, more oil jobs, more manufacturing jobs, more construction jobs. Meanwhile the demand for technology workers, medical workers, etc is enormous. The education and training gap is huge, so that’s clearly part of it.

I think the counter to this is that education is a huge barrier for many people

So, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Tucker Carlson, and the Koch brothers have all denounced the Amazon subsidies. We have finally found an issue to bring us all together in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    and Lugers is an easy Uber ride.
    Those are good burgers Walter.
    Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 11-15-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

1) there is no tech industry.
    2) most self-proclaimed "tech" companys have little to no desire to hire "local" people for anything (part of the resentment can be a mono-culture of workers imported from elite schools). those "other" jobs will hire "local" people of many different education levels.
    3) if you can't see how giving big tax breaks to imported workers who'll change the community with little attachment to it irritates people, can't help you. that's on top of the structural tax advantages IP production has ended up. You run all your income offshore and you need a taxbreak for your office? And you demand more serviceS?
    4) medical jobs are a huge source of employment across education brackets in the US. something like 1/3 or 1/2 of the workers have an associates or less.

So, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Tucker Carlson, and the Koch brothers have all denounced the Amazon subsidies. We have finally found an issue to bring us all together in America.
    True that. See post #347 for further proof of that: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...50#post5498350
    When all of the above agree on something, then you KNOW something smells really bad with the situation.

The 7 will be hell. Especially when the Mets are playing.
    I could think of one business to invest in, and that's food delivery. Queens is arguably the most diverse high quality ethnic food festival on Earth, certainly America. All kinds of food, and if you include Upper Brooklyn, a amazing place to just plug in some order on your phone, and it could be there within a half hour. Many think Flushing is far better than Chinatown. The Indian is killer. And on. They're gonna get fat.
    And that's why Nebraska ain't happening. All these Midwestern simpletons who are proud of how simple they are can keep watching all the jobs fly over their state. Trump or no Trump.

No shit. Work smarter, not harder.
    Or wait another 30 years for manufacturing jobs to come back...not
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    And that's why Nebraska ain't happening. All these Midwestern simpletons who are proud of how simple they are can keep watching all the jobs fly over their state. Trump or no Trump.

No shit. Work smarter, not harder.
    Or wait another 30 years for manufacturing jobs to come back...not
    Yeah, well, sometimes it don't work out so well.

Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Some people just lost some money in real estate but other than that I'm not sure it's a net negative for NYC. They were gonna have to give a lot to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Some people just lost some money in real estate but other than that I'm not sure it's a net negative for NYC. They were gonna have to give a lot to get it.
    This.

But Stamford on the other hand, great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    But Stamford on the other hand, great fit.
    Right? LOTS of empty prime office space there right now. Amazon could move right in.

Right? LOTS of empty prime office space there right now. Amazon could move right in.
    Mega mansions in Greenwich on the cheap, international airports near by, Amtrak NE Corridor, business friendly Mayor & Governor. What is not to love?!?

Plus all the fiber optic lines you could want because of all the wall street stuff that was there...it's a no-brainer. Hell they could get their own exit on 95, what's one more when there's already like 300?

Better Hot Chicken in TN maybe?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

I was in Nashville for one night with my son back in early December, we were driving from New Orleans to DC and stopped for the night. We went and got Hattie B's chicken. That was some hot fucking chicken and we didn't get the hottest choice, we did get the second-hottest though. It was good shit.

We went to the Tabasco factory in Louisiana too and ate in the restaurant there, that chicken was not hot at all compared to TN.

Have a hotel i Nashville and the build out there already is insane.

I can barely recognize the place since I lived in Williamson County in the 80s
    Plus intl airport?

I have rarely heard anything more insane than the radio traffic reports we heard while stuck in a crazy traffic jam trying to get into town in December. Wrecks and jams all over the place. Clear weather and it was bedlam.

I was in Nashville for one night with my son back in early December, we were driving from New Orleans to DC and stopped for the night. We went and got Hattie B's chicken. That was some hot fucking chicken and we didn't get the hottest choice, we did get the second-hottest though. It was good shit.

We went to the Tabasco factory in Louisiana too and ate in the restaurant there, that chicken was not hot at all compared to TN.
    Hattie B's is good. I like Prince's more but Hattie B's has more locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Have a hotel i Nashville and the build out there already is insane.

I can barely recognize the place since I lived in Williamson County in the 80s
    Plus intl airport?
    You have a hotel here?

It's amazing what's been happening. Got really popular in like 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    you have a hotel here?

It's amazing what's been happening. Got really popular in like 5 years.
    about right, we opened in late 2013.
    I really dug it there in 2011 or so but its a bit much these days.

Yeah we were gonna go to Prince's but Hattie B's was closer to the hotel and it was getting late because of the traffic. I thought about pinging you on here but it ended up we had pretty much no time.