Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The thing about the beacon in this case is that, and I’m Monday morning QBing here, it looks like it might very likely have allowed for a live recovery.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    it looks like it might very likely have allowed for a live recovery.
    According to any specific source, or just pure conjecture?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    According to any specific source, or just pure conjecture?
    Read much? I think I was pretty clear that I was Monday morning QBing.

"Forgot to buckle their seatbelt"?

Seems like this has gotten off topic a lot and I know others have said this but even if chance of live recovery is small why would you not carry a beacon if it enhances chance of survival? It has nothing to do with risk tolerance. It’s not like you gain anything by not having a beacon.
    I am definitely not one to question another’s risk tolerance (ie skiing when chance of avalanche is high or consequence of an avalanche is large) but if there is a basic safety mechanism that enhances survival without potentially diminishing fun it’s just stupid to not have it. You’re just increasing risk for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

These are reasons that come to mind. What am I missing?

Too expensive
    Too bulky
    Going solo
    Bullet proof spring corn
    Just meadow skipping
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Too expensive
    -Basically everyone here has numerous pairs of skis, boots, etc. so instead of getting 6 pairs of skis spend a few hundred on a transceiver or a used one for a couple hundred.

Too bulky
    -Oh come on. Barely bigger than a cell phone.

Going solo
    -This I can understand. Especially if you have RECCO on your gear so you can be found because people will look for you if you don’t return. That being said if you are on a well traveled route and someone sees you in a slide they will look for you so best to have it.

Bullet proof spring corn
    -if you’re not in avalanche terrain then ok don’t bring it.

Just meadow skipping
    -See bulletproof corn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would much rather have my partner looking for my beacon vs. blindly probing for me with their ski pole.

I was listing the reasons I've heard given for skiing sans beacon and wondering what other reasons might be given. There is really no justification if skiing in avalanche terrain.

I'll toss out another reason that I believe may be at work especially with the more experienced who going solo. The fact is that shit may happen completely out of the skiers control and bringing a beacon would be an admission of that fact.

There are so many variables, it does not pay to speculate.

What if they reached snow, did a beacon check, and found that one beacon had dead batteries? It was very early season, and I could see that as being a very possible explanation, along with who knows how many more.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That would be an item on a checklist. Whether true about the batteries or not of that particular incident, something to consider.

The only friend that I have lost was an experienced ski mountaineer/instructor out for a short solo trip and shit happened. It could have only been avoided by not going. Or veering left instead or right. He didn't wear a beacon and wasn't buried but he could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Too expensive
    Too bulky
    Going solo
    Bullet proof spring corn
    Just meadow skipping
    Add to this: I don't care about the team tasked with recovering my body.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Early and late season it's pretty common to be starting walking on dirt with your beacon in your pack. My guess is they did this and just forgot to pull them out. I know I've done that.

Look, my main point about the effectiveness of the beacon was directed toward Kennedy's feelings - specifically why he might have felt so bad as to kill himself. I didn't mean to start debates about whether a beacon would have allowed his partner to be rescued alive, or the reasons they weren't using them.

But that's the nature of these things - people can't help themselves. Is it enough to say carry beacons and rescue gear, practice using it regularly, pay close attention to snow conditions and forecasts, and use safe travel practices?

So today this thread did make me think and even tho there is like 12" of snow on the T-bar slope at the hill which doesn't open for a month and it was a bluebird day I carried all the stuff (the beacon needed batteries ) just as a matter of best practises eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know