Look PX 15 conversion

If I replace the brakes and get an AFD plate for the toes, can I take off the black AFD and grey plate on the bindings below? I want to use them on a different pair of skis and don't need the fancy extra stiffening pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4691.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	214002

Name:	IMG_4692.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	214003

Name:	IMG_4693.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	214004

Name:	IMG_4694.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	214005

Yes, you can mount them without the connecting bar. Just be aware of the screw length. Without the plate the screws will be tool long and will dimple the bases if you don't change the screws or grind them shorter.

Probably. I looked in to doing the same thing. And then I just decided to save 20g of non-rotational weight wasn't worth the work and costs. No-one gives a fuck about a plate between your bindings under your boots except you. I have the same binding just mounted flat instead of on a plate. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 10-16-2017 at 06:38 PM.

No need for a new AFD, just pull the metal bar & the gray piece. As noted above- shorten the screws in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    No need for a new AFD, just pull the metal bar & the gray piece. As noted above- shorten the screws in the back.
    What he said. Irip also sold me said PXs.

I know they aren't the lightest or coolest binding out there, but I'm always surprised at how little they cost. Super burly binding that performs very well, and you can basically always find them for well under $100 shipped in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    What he said. Irip also sold me said PXs.

I know they aren't the lightest or coolest binding out there, but I'm always surprised at how little they cost. Super burly binding that performs very well, and you can basically always find them for well under $100 shipped in good shape.
    For what you get, they are a baller deal.

Any issues with ramp angle by taking the grey piece and the metal bar off?

The metal connecting bar is riveted to the heel pieces underneath, no? Do you drill the rivets or just cut the bar?

Maybe this is old news to you, but anyways... you need to look for Axial2/PX racing brakes, they're slightly different from regular Axial2/PX brakes (different interface to heel piece)

I’ll be the dissenting opinion here. I believe you can’t. Generally the metal bar is where the forward pressure is controlled from. On many race bindings the intent of the metal bar is to fix the heel piece to the toe, rather than the heel attachment. This provides a more consistent forward pressure when the ski forces and hyperfelexes. Removing the bar essentially eliminates your ability to set forward pressure. The PX race could be different however.

I stand corrected and agree with XavierD. The connecting bar is just like a STH race with the connecting bar.
    This model is the Axial 2 World Cup Maxflex.
    I was looking at the race plate and assuming it all one piece.
    Here is the manual showing how the the Maxflex plate attaches the heel to the toe. (Page 10)
    It also lists the brake part number you need (page 9)
    http://www.wsco.ca/tech_info/techman...0skis%2008.pdf

I'm looking at a pair of these for a frontside setup, seems to be a bomber setup for pretty cheap.

I reviewed the tech manual, but any reason this binding can't be used without a race plate?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I'm looking at a pair of these for a frontside setup, seems to be a bomber setup for pretty cheap.

I reviewed the tech manual, but any reason this binding can't be used without a race plate?
    It's fine to use without race plate. But with the connecting bar you will have to choose the length interval closest to your bsl and (if using template for binding mount) figure out which bsl the mount holes corresponds to since they'll be on a fixed distance much like a frame binding. Can't remember from the back of my head, but when length on bar set suitable for 305 sole I have a vague memory that the binding mount hole positions equalled a 300 mm mount according to a template. Can verify late tomorrow.

Edited to add; they're heavy af but clamps as champs, great for frontside in other words!

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

I've used the SPX Rocker flex on my piste skis with no issues, I did have to make my own rear template.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    It's fine to use without race plate. But with the connecting bar you will have to choose the length interval closest to your bsl and (if using template for binding mount) figure out which bsl the mount holes corresponds to since they'll be on a fixed distance much like a frame binding. Can't remember from the back of my head, but when length on bar set suitable for 305 sole I have a vague memory that the binding mount hole positions equalled a 300 mm mount according to a template. Can verify late tomorrow.

Edited to add; they're heavy af but clamps as champs, great for frontside in other words!
    I remembered correctly, when the MFX connecting bar was set at the 296-310 mm interval, the template to use is for 300 mm bsl. Add or subtract 15 mm per higher or lower interval chosen.