UCL (thumb) Surgery pain - does it ever go away?

I did the deed early January, had the surgery early Feb, and just recently stopped going to rehab.

I tore the UCL, and ripped the "dorsal cap" or something like that. I am free to do whatever I want now, but things like riding a bike, picking up slightly heavy (frying pan) etc. still hurt.

I've talked to one other injured like myself and he still is waiting for the pain to go away several years after surgery.

Can anyone give me any good news?

Froz, it might be that you are pressing on some scar tissue during those activites you mentioned. ie riding the brake hoods on a road bike perhaps?. The best thing for that would be to continue the ROM exercises they gave you and massage of the scar. Other than that, for bking maybe try finding some gloves with better padding in that specific area.

My gut tells me that eventually your pain will go away though.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Thanks Vin, are you a doctor by chance, or just play one on the internet?

I guess I should keep doing ROM, etc. such a pain in the ass though - 6 months later and I am just over it.

No not a doctor, but much experience in the sports medicine field. Just give it a bit more time and see how things go. If nothing improves in say another couple months, then maybe go see your doc and ask him whats up.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Hey frozen...yea I had the same surgery in January and was definitely bumming about my climbing with the thumb still hurting. Did they (PT) give you a putty ball to work with? I'll sometimes wrap my hand in a heating pad for 15 minutes and then work with the ball. Seems to help a lot. Plus I still do the damn scar massage with oil.

even if you aren't one of those people who scar easily, whenever you damage ligaments and the capsule of your joints, scar forms. i dislocated a finger a couple years back and it still looks 'swollen', it hurt for 15 months.

Unfortunately, with these small joint ligament injuries it can take a while for the pain to go away.

massaging the scar will certainly help and some of those 'balms' for joints can get you through a bike ride or some other activity you want to pursue.