Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow boots?

Snow boots?

What are you people wearing for boots when there’s more than a few inches on the ground?

I’ve been wearing GTX hiking boots the past few years which have been great until I punch down below snow height.

These could be used for everything from going to the hill to snow camping to clearing the driveway. They need to be utilitarian but comfortable. The last boot I owned like this was a Sorel, but it tore up my ankle where the rubber met the leather if I had to do anything active in them.

Hoping for something not so bulky that you can still drive in them.

winter thickness Bogs?
    Kamiks?
    Hunting boots?

What works for you?

Been wearing a pair of Kamik's for a bunch of years that I bought on that cheap at STP. They're bulky for sure but I can still drive with them and they are mighty warm. Worn them for everything from plowing the driveway to sledding with the kids to riding the snowmobile.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Snow boots?

Pajar is stylish and comfy but a little pricey. Also have teva first chair I think. Good warm and cheap
    Kamik is good also
    Last edited by whyturn; 10-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Natives are awesome (ones with the fur)
    I got a pair of Palladium and it's high quality.
    Am getting a pair of HH Ullr or something. Real nice with Primaloft inserts

Insulated cowboy boots with a vibram sole are a nice option. Justin makes a few models w/ or w/o composite toes. Also, a boot jack is nice for removal and an easy DIY project.

Hadn’t considered a pull-on style work boot...

Thanks for suggestions — googling now

North Face pull-on winter boots -- these --
    http://www.ems.com/the-north-face-me...n/1294129.html

Several years old now, but warmer than my original made-in-Canada Sorels ever were. I like that they are pull-on so I don't have to mess with laces with frozen fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My wife has been happy with her Boggs for many years. She wears them for rain, mud, and snow; lives in them sometimes for weeks. She's never complained about cold toes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Insulated Bean boots.

For working outdoors, chores, snow clearing, etc. these work well: Kamik Bushman
    I wouldn't want to use them for real hiking/off camber stuff as ankle support obviously isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    What are you people wearing for boots when there’s more than a few inches on the ground?

I’ve been wearing GTX hiking boots the past few years which have been great until I punch down below snow height.
    Stick with the GTX boots and get GTX gaiters for deep snow if they are warm enough for you.

Look at Schnees Pac as well.

I have a pair of Lacrosse 10" Alpha Range pull on boots that have enough heel pocket to keep me happy on muddy/snowy jobsites.

Merrell Epiction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dunlop purofoots, they look like rubber boots but they are foam, a lot guys at the mines wear them, i got felt packs too
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Snow boots?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Hadn’t considered a pull-on style work boot...

Thanks for suggestions — googling now
    I have a pull on snow boot. Can't recall brand. Warm insulated liner. Lug sole, rubber lowers, nylon(?) uppers, high calf height, pull laces to tighten around thigh and ankle, bungee top closer to keep snow out.

I've used them for shoveling, camping in the back of my pick up during storms, driving to the hill, digging out cars, sledding, snow fort building, snowball fights, walking in the meadow in XC trails, around the base, anywhere the snow is deep.

In town, when the sidewalks are out, I'll usually wear a winter slip on clog type of thing.
    Last edited by Ottime; 10-18-2017 at 09:21 AM.

For real snow days or if I need to be outside and not active I wear Salomon TOUNDRA PRO CSWP. They use a gel insulation that is super light.

For everyday commuting to the hill I have been wearing Patagonia waterproof insulated Chuck looking shoes that are no longer in production . It is time to replace them and I am struggling to find casual yet functional winter shoes.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Patagonia DAS boot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/me...nd_PLA_B_Brand

Love them. Warm, light, not bulky, great traction.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Sorel https://www.backcountry.com/sorel-ca...BoC3VAQAvD_BwE

Use to have some great deals on STP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I have used Arctic Muck boots for a few years. Awesome feeling of invincibility. I hike through semi frozen small creeks. Not the best heel pocket though. I have heard Bogs have a more sneaker like fit.
    My lady loves her over the calf slip on Lacrosse's. She hikes all over, off trail with the dog through the winter with them.

My feet run hot, but the Blundtstones are pretty good as long as I'm not out in the snow for a long session. Also have some Salomon gtx trail runners that are good. Plowing the driveway, walking through slush/snow/ice they are great.

Otherwise, I am wearing some Muck boots or Sorels if it is too deep or cold. I wear the Mucks year round standing in cold,wet,chemicals and they take a beating. I think I'm on my 5th set of footbeds though.

I've got a set of the Salomon gtx boots. Retail is like 270 but I have a hookup card. PM if you find something you like and I'll pass on the happiness!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

AC, I use my Merrell hiking boots for everything. Leave the top 4 hooks unlaced and slip them on and off. Perfect jack of all trades unless it's really deep. If it's deep and I need to walk to the lodge, I lace them up and pull down gaiters.

I would have sweaty feet if I drove to the mountain in bogs, et. al. The merrell's have a good balance of breathability for their waterproofness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Muck Boots. Fold the cuff down in half, and they slip on and off. For easy in and out. Feel great after a day in ski boots. No problem driving my pickup with them. I can wear them all day, hiking in the woods, use them sugaring. I’d be cautious around a snowmobile, the runners will chew up just about any boot, and better protect of you foot is wise. Also will get hot if worn too long inside.

Schnee's Hunter ii. These are the shit. Warm and comfortable snow boot. My old man has been wearing his for 25 years and hunted probably three thousand miles.

I have the 10" height and have never wanted more. The liners are amazing... Thinsulate quilted wool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schnee's boot.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	214363
    Last edited by Norseman; 10-23-2017 at 08:12 AM.