Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What Helmets are Mags Rocking?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.........

Current half shell: Been in a Bell Super for a couple years now. Does the job, could be better. Wife has a TLD A1 that I covet. Occasionally will swap with her and it's day & night difference in comfort. Just tried on a Fox Metah at REI and was kind of blown away by the massive amount of coverage. Likely go with this for next lid unless another contender surfaces.

Current DH FF: Been using a Bell Transfer 9 forever, because I got a retarded deal on it and it's comfortable enough and it seems indestructible. Except for the visor which was frustratingly hard to replace. Actually the visor was easy to get, the plastic bolts for it were near impossible to obtain. Would love a "nicer", lighter, cooler looking helmet.

Enduro Days: Picked up a couple MET Parachute helmets a couple years ago after looking long and hard at the Super 2R and deciding it was the most uncomfortable helmet ever created. The MET is pretty slick, wears great and is super well ventilated. For big fire road climbs to mostly downhill rides, it's perfect to strap it to the pack. For rides with more intermittent climbing I tend to go with the half shell. I realized that taking the FF on and off and strapping it to the pack is probably equal or less work than doing the same with a chin bar, so not too upset about that. Tried on a friend's Fox Proframe. It's pretty awesome. More comfortable, better coverage, better vents, and most of all spare parts are available which is not the case with the MET. Kind of curious about the Giro Switchblade. Could live with the 3/4 shell look in trade of better coverage. Can't live with the $250 MIPs price tag.

I still think MIPs is a scam since there is zero actual evidence showing it improves anything in real life scenarios.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Giro Hex... haven’t found anything that fits as well as that helmet does.

Not being much of a DH rider, I picked a new trail riding helmet this past season. I ditched my older Giro helmet for a Troy Lee Designs A1 helmet this year. It fits my head well and stays in place while riding. I like that it has better coverage on the back of the head area than older style trail helmets.

Name:  troy-lee-designs-a1-mips-bike-helmet-classic-black.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  12.2 KB

What Helmets are Mags Rocking?

Most often I'm pedalling so I alternate between a TLD a1 and a Fly freestone. Freestone is nice but the A1 is my fave. Most comfy helmet I've ever had. The complaints on it were that it's hot and sweat drips in the eyes. Both true but the comfort of the thick foam pads overrides the complaints for me. The heat isn't bad and for sweat drip I just push on the front of the helmet against my head occasionally, to drain the sweat before it gets to the eyes. 2 seconds that I do without thinking now. The new A2 has addressed those issues with more and bigger vents and better placed forehead pads to drain away from the eyes . I'll keep my A1 and eventually get an A2.
    I'd like to try on the new redesigned bell super(do they still call it "super"?) and maybe replace the Fly freestone with one of those if it's close to as plush as my A1. Without the chinguard on that new bell, it's basically a sweet looking half shell and it doesn't have the goofy ear coverage of the giro switchblade in half shell mode and with the chinguard looks like a good full face. Might be a nice fit between the A1 and D3, if it's comfy. Fox proform looks nice for enduro racers but I don't want to pedal with cheek pads.
    No park pass last year so only 10-12 days of shuttling and the another 10-12 times attached to the camelback up a fsr to dh trails. I'll keep my D3 for that . Like you , not sure if MIPS is worthwhile. IDK

I've got an older version Troy Lee A1. First helmet I've had that fits well, but I wish it had more vents. Seems like the newer version does a better job of that. XL/XXL works for my 7 3/4 head.

I have a 661 all carbon full face I really like for riding. I have expensive teeth so I always protect my face.
    It's really light for a full face.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    after looking long and hard at the Super 2R and deciding it was the most uncomfortable helmet ever created
    Bell made a big mistake by mounting the extra jaw bone pads in the helmet prior to shipping, instead of adding them as extra padding included in the box. Once these pads are removed it drastically changes the fit of helmet completely. The first season our shop carried these helmets we barely sold any. Once we removed all the jaw bone pads, they easily sold just like all the other helmets in this price range.
    It angers me when I read a review from someone (not referring to you jm2e) who is suppose to be avid and knowledgeable gear tester, complains about the fit of helmet's removable pads, or a chin strap that hangs funny. These are features that you need to adjust to fit your head properly.

^^^sort of related but not. Some scruffy dood cruisin around town on beater bike , baggy ripped jeans, possibly homeless with a giro switchblade ,w/o the chinguard, with the visor fully popped. Looks like it's pointed almost vertical. I do a wtf 2nd take every time I see him

smith forefront for me, super comfy, not a problem for me in the heat as some people complain about, lightweight and works well with a multitude of sunglasses also have a fox rampage pro for lift/shuttle/race days, can get pretty hot when climbing transfers during race days but not a big fan of removable chin bar!

Rocking the Bell 3r. Love the detachable jawbone for the up and mellower rides. Stupid light too.

I wear the ladies panties on my head.

I wear a traffic cone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thick layer of lice works for me

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I wear a traffic cone.
    I don't even know what you look like but I can absolutely picture this.

I'm on my second bell super for trail riding. That's primarily because it has the longest visor of any helmet I could find. Most of my summer riding is in the afternoon after work and there's a lot of sun up in dem mountains. Don't know why so many helmets have 2" visors. The roadie element of this sport will never die it seems.

Fox rampage fullface. It's kind of falling apart after a year and I got a mild concussion the first time I crashed with it. It's life is limited. Plus the visor doesn't go up high enough to put goggles on the 'forehead' bit.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    ......... Plus the visor doesn't go up high enough to put goggles on the 'forehead' bit.
    I fucking hate that shit.

This is my current setup, though the picture contains my stunt double:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p021m0ff.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	213894

Customizable with an infinite variety of patterns on the bag material.

(or... maybe this)

I fucking hate that shit.
    I never put goggles there, perfect way to pull annoying bits of dirt inside the goggles and into your face/eyes.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I never put goggles there, perfect way to pull annoying bits of dirt inside the goggles and into your face/eyes.

It's astounding the thousands of times this has never happened to me.

I tend to catch most of the mud in my mouth I guess. We all need a system.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Fox Flux 100 bux. Selfie from today ha.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  18.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post

On muddy rainy DH park days in the Southeast; I agree. But, I struggle to find a better option in this situations. If I remember to wipe that part of the helmet first, problem mostly solved.
    On non-muddy, non-rainy park days, or just on euduro style rides, I need to be able to park the goggles somewhere without packing them up. And dangling around my neck or backward on the back of the helmet seems no better, often worse.
    That said, I'd love to hear what someone else is actually doing that actually works.

That said, I'd love to hear what someone else is actually doing that actually works.
    1. not wearing goggles on xc rides

2. checking them and shaking them out before riding

I never wear it anymore.
    It has not whistled in the wind for a good 6 years
    Name:  Shoei.png
Views: 431
Size:  320.6 KB
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Had a Smith Forefront, head got sweaty, got a Giant Rail, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    1. not wearing goggles on xc rides
    That definitely fixes the problems of:
    Why is my face so sweaty?
    Why are my lenses permanently fogged up?
    Why is everyone looking at me like that?