Thread: "American Made"

"American Made"

Very good movie, saw it last night. It shows, in an entertaining fashion and with humor, what an absolute shitshow the war on drugs and American foreign policy in Latin America has been. Not generally a fan of his, but Tom Cruise is really good as main character Barry Seal. Seal is an actual person but they take a lot of liberties with his story and conflate it with that of another very interesting cat, Max Mermelstein, who is worthy of a movie of his own (and people are working on that).

I recommend you see it, suspend disbelief a little bit (only a little bit, because all the main shit really happened), and enjoy. There's a lot in this movie: geoplitics, great cinematography, really good soundtrack, excellent performances. Oliver North! Pablo Escobar! Bill Clinton! Nancy Reagan! The Gipper! I may go see it again and I never see movies twice, but there was a lot to take in.

Anthony Lane in The New Yorker really liked it and so did I. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...oria-and-abdul, Check it out, you won't regret it.

My cousins fiancée is a film editor and he did the trailer for this movie

Cool. Trailers usually show most of the action in a movie. That's a good trailer but it hardly scratches the surface of what goes on in this thing.

Yeah people forget how crazy those times were. Definitely some lessons there for the present.