Thread: Black Crows Anima, Atris, or something else?

Black Crows Anima, Atris, or something else?

Upgraded boots this season to a shell size down from previously, which means my quiver is going to have to be entirely remounted. This has me thinking that it may be worth while to sell some stuff off before putting a second mount on them, and trying something new.

I've been eyeing the Black Crows Anima and Atris lately as a replacement, but still having conflicting thoughts in my head. Right now I have Candide 2.0s as the daily driver, and 4.0's for when it snows (live in CO). I also picked up a pair of QST 118's at the end of last season that I have yet to mount. I've been really into the Anima lately, but it seems too similar to the QST 118s to warrant having both, so I was hoping someone out there could provide some insight. My main reason for looking elsewhere is that I was never fully stoked on the 2.0/4.0 combo last season. The 2.0s were still too parky to be able to charge on when the snow gets hairy, and the 4.0s felt pretty bland (could be because they were a pre-production release i got right from Faction in Breck. read: lemon?)

Anyone have any experience on Anima vs. QST 118? Or Anima vs Atris? I like that both the black crows seem to be a bit more aggressive and stable while still maintaining a bit of a slarvy/pivoty approach. I'm a classic once racer now freerider, so my ski style is a reflection of that. FWIF i'm 5'6 135lb.

Sorry for the word vomit. This is basically a projection of my recent thoughts on the matter, and i'd love to discuss.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Black Crows are So Hawt right now. If they make red ones, I would drive them daily.
    i spray paint all my skis red. next q

Looks like last year's Atris is on closeout at STP: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/bl...-skis~p~226tw/

Damn, $399 is $20 cheaper than what I picked up a pair for earlier this summer. Have not skied mine yet, so can't say first hand. Just heard that the Atris is more easy-going than the Corvus, which you want if you want to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Black Crows are So Hawt right now. If they make red ones, I would drive them daily.
    There you go
    Name:  clone.jpg
Views: 5414
Size:  48.4 KB

Are you man enough to rock the pink, though?
    Name:  black-crows-corvus-skis-2018-175.jpg
Views: 5277
Size:  84.7 KB

I really want the Corvus Freebird. Two in the pink, amirite?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70600362_706_003_62.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	213753

I demoed the Atris on a day with a foot of fresh and absolutely loved it. My ski background is also going fast, which I had no problems railing the Atris. What I really enjoyed was the playful feel without sacraficing its high speed stability. I was really impressed. I got on them right after being on the Candide 3.0 which I absolutely hated... So not sure if my opinion would play into your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Looks like last year's Atris is on closeout at STP: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/bl...-skis~p~226tw/

Damn, $399 is $20 cheaper than what I picked up a pair for earlier this summer. Have not skied mine yet, so can't say first hand. Just heard that the Atris is more easy-going than the Corvus, which you want if you want to charge.
    Unfortunately 184 is a bit long for me for this ski. Would prefer 178, but yeah thats a killer deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    I demoed the Atris on a day with a foot of fresh and absolutely loved it. My ski background is also going fast, which I had no problems railing the Atris. What I really enjoyed was the playful feel without sacraficing its high speed stability. I was really impressed. I got on them right after being on the Candide 3.0 which I absolutely hated... So not sure if my opinion would play into your decisions.
    Killer info man, thanks! I've considered it a fairly similar ski to the 3.0 so its interesting that you preferred this one so much more. Thanks for chiming in.

the ski is a homage to Artis Gilmore, right?

Any comments on where the Anima sits in all this? Particularly vs QST 118?

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    What was the mount point on the atris you demo'd? I tried putting my boot centered over the recommended line, and compared side by side with my other skis. Atris recommended line looks SUPER forward in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    What was the mount point on the atris you demo'd? I tried putting my boot centered over the recommended line, and compared side by side with my other skis. Atris recommended line looks SUPER forward in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    On the line... I thought that same thing, looked really forward almost like a center mount!
    I dont know why but it sure didnt ski like one, felt very directional and I soon forgot the tails were longer (than normal directional skis) thank that tail rocker hey

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    Any comments on where the Anima sits in all this? Particularly vs QST 118?
    I demoed Anima 188 for one day after a huge snowfall brought 25-30". They were super cool and fun or it was just the day, huh. I felt that Anima skied very closely to Moment bibby 190. Anima has little bit less rocker on tip and tail, so it's even more stable. Stiffness is also almost the same level as bibby, maybe anima is even a bit stiffer. I never skied QST118 but I flexed them in the shop and I'd say they are definitely softer. As I understand, QST118 is more of a soft snow ski, while Anima is more like a all-mountain quiver of one

I recently bought a Anima Freebird for a buddy as a touring ski but I'd say avoid it... I missed description that it's softer than original version and jeeezus, they appeared to be so soft that I'd rather buy them for a gf. Their stiffness level is around Armada JJ or even more softer.

Unfortunately 184 is a bit long for me for this ski. Would prefer 178.
    Does not compute. This is TGR. The longer is more betterer. (He says in a super cool robot voice)

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I demoed Anima 188 for one day after a huge snowfall brought 25-30". They were super cool and fun or it was just the day, huh. I felt that Anima skied very closely to Moment bibby 190. Anima has little bit less rocker on tip and tail, so it's even more stable. Stiffness is also almost the same level as bibby, maybe anima is even a bit stiffer. I never skied QST118 but I flexed them in the shop and I'd say they are definitely softer. As I understand, QST118 is more of a soft snow ski, while Anima is more like a all-mountain quiver of one

I recently bought a Anima Freebird for a buddy as a touring ski but I'd say avoid it... I missed description that it's softer than original version and jeeezus, they appeared to be so soft that I'd rather buy them for a gf. Their stiffness level is around Armada JJ or even more softer.
    Interesting. The Anima definitely sounds cool. Guess im trying to decide between that and the Atris for pretty much everything besides day-of fresh snow. Fear the 115 may be a bit wide when it really gets cruddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Does not compute. This is TGR. The longer is more betterer. (He says in a super cool robot voice)
    True, I agree. Can only push it so far at 5'6, 135 though. 182 feels about as long as I'd go. Had a 184 Wailer 99 and didnt enjoy it.

True, I agree. Can only push it so far at 5'6, 135 though. 182 feels about as long as I'd go. Had a 184 Wailer 99 and didnt enjoy it.
    I'm 6' 200lbs and my go to size is 185 but demoed the Atris in 189 and didn't even notice, it skis a bit short.

If you already own the Q118 silly to get the Anima. Also the mount on the Anima is -6 where Atris is -8 so Atris is slightly more directional.

I went and checked out this years pair of Atris at Evo today. 184 definitely seems big, so still eyeing the 178. Would like to see how it all looks with bindings lined up where they'll be mounted. I know the website says 184 for "aggressive" 5'6, but that still seems like a bit of a stretch based on my experience with skis of all sorts of lengths.

I agree on the QST comment. I guess ill hang onto those. Im betting they're gonna be a really fun resort pow ski. And with the Atris being more directional, it makes sense as an every other day ski.

The search has continued to evolve a little bit, and now i'm seriously eyeing the new Blizzard Rustler 10s. In my head when I think Blizzard, im inclined to think that this route would be the exact opposite of something like the Atris, but after reading more about the ski, it seems like a really solid option that appeals to what i'm looking for. I know not many people have gotten the Rustlers on snow yet, but what do you guys think about Atris v. Rustler for me?

Again, ex racer looking for a ski that will let me go hard and fast when I want to in between storms (i.e most of the time), but will also chill out and let me have fun all around the resort (i.e slashes, airs, etc.). I'm pretty used to playfully smeary pow skis for storm days, but I feel like I've never found a harder snow ski that lets me ski how I want to.
    Last edited by jckstein; 10-25-2017 at 12:08 PM.