4-corners must rides

What must be ridden in the 4-corners area? Wife and I are continuing our FUCancer lap of Utah south from Moab and winding toward Hurricane via Monument Valley. We kind of have a day though...where should we look to ride?

Thanks!
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

The Ribbon in Grand Junction is pretty bitchin'

South of Moab, Phil's World in Cortez is supposed to be the must-do.

Phil's World is fucking awesome, but may be too far out of the way if Hurricane is the eventual destination.

The Spring Creek-Robertson Pasture loop outside Monticello is on my short list of rides to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Phil's World is fucking awesome, but may be too far out of the way if Hurricane is the eventual destination.

The Spring Creek-Robertson Pasture loop outside Monticello is on my short list of rides to check out.
    2nd this ride, but it's right through prime elk hunting terrain.

For scenic dirt road riding and on the way to Monument, there is Valley of the Gods road and a peel off road below Muley Point from the Goosenecks. From Saturday, a view from Muley towards Monument Valley. The road is below this view. VotG is around the corner, SE.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	213565

Like Phil's, Boggie Draw near Dolores and Sand Canyon (McElmo, south of Hovenweep) are 'out of the way', but might be of interest.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Also a bit out of the way to Hurricane, Thunder Mtn is worth a stop. Then drive through Zion on the way to Hurricane.

Or stop in at the BLM office in Kanab first thing in the morning and see if you can score a pass to hike the Wave. Or do both....

Should also add - the Arizona Trail north of Jacob Lake is pretty good. You can loop it with some dirt roads for a ~20mi ride. Nearest to Jacob Lake is in trees. Nearest to stateline is more juniper scrub. Avoid if wet.

If you're gonna swing by Cortez to hit Phil's World and want to make it double, as Alpinord said Sand Canyon (SW of Cortez) is also fun, with an archeology bonus. And yeah, the Boggy Draw area above Dolores is easy access, and the Mavericks/Italian Creek section is especially SS- and dog-friendly.

following, I'll be in this area in a few weeks too.

timely, will be in cortez monday. still need to buy a bike. could be demo day at phil's world. thanks for the info.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Also a bit out of the way to Hurricane, Thunder Mtn is worth a stop. Then drive through Zion on the way to Hurricane.
    I don't normally spray info on destinations, but Thunder Mtn is a special kind of trippy with its multicolored soils & rocks, and it deserves mention. Even on a grey day, it's surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I don't normally spray info on destinations, but Thunder Mtn is a special kind of trippy with its multicolored soils & rocks, and it deserves mention. Even on a grey day, it's surreal.
    has anyone been on the rides on the other side of the road from thunder mnt?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/red-canyon/
    casto? cassedy? etc?

Ya, we've done a bunch of loops in there. Great riding and good camping at Losee Canyon trailhead. I can lend you the map. Remind me.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I hit that loop last month. It's pretty sweet, kinda like a mini Burro, with a bit of Hazard thrown in, but much less traffic. I'd recommend it if you're in the area or passing through, but I wouldn't consider it a destination trail, even if you're in Moab.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I wound up losing my login for most of the trip between Monticello and Hurricane, and ultimately we decided Phil's was a little too far afield this time. But I learned from a local about an interesting bit of slickrock riding on the bluff above Bluff for which Google satellite images are the best map.

Wound up spending the night in Page and when the Antelope Canyon tours were all booked the next morning we rode the north portion of the Rim View trail. Great views of Lake Powell and some massive scale slickrock formations connect to the edge of the trail.

Name:	20171011_092737.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	213765

Took our lives in our hands and followed the old trail near the edge of the rim:

Name:	20171011_084753.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	213766

I don't think that edge is where we found the goatheads but we found them somewhere and in large numbers. Probably better to stick to better-used trailheads for this trail. Not a must-ride by any means, but the slickrock was very cool and the trail is easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I hit that loop last month. It's pretty sweet, kinda like a mini Burro, with a bit of Hazard thrown in, but much less traffic. I'd recommend it if you're in the area or passing through, but I wouldn't consider it a destination trail, even if you're in Moab.
    Cool, thanks. I'm in Cortez for work a couple times a year but haven't been able to squeeze it into one of those trips yet.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Boy those pics make it look like a destination I've passed through that area a few times and have always wanted to get back and do some two wheeled exploring around Monticello. Your pics confirm I was right to think this way. Thanks.

following

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    has anyone been on the rides on the other side of the road from thunder mnt?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/red-canyon/
    casto? cassedy? etc?
    I did a big loop of those trails plus Thunder Mtn one year. A few sections were amazing but much of it was also not great riding. Views were great and a cool environment makes it worthwhile though, especially if you loop it with Thunder Mtn.

For something more adventurous nearby you can check out segments of Grandview Trail which takes off near the bottom of Thunder Mtn and turns south before going all the way around south end of Bryce Canyon. It's got some great views of pink/orange cliffs and hoodoos as well. Tough backcountry riding, and hard to put together loops. Crawford Pass Trail at the south end of the plateau is a shorter trail worth checking out. You can loop it using a segment of Grandview and some fire roads. Might be kinda cold up there by this time of year. All these trails are on the Brian Head & Bryce Canyon map from adventuremaps.net. Some REIs have it or order from them. Here's a TR from some exploring I did a few years ago:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/bik...ugunt-plateau/