Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Avalanche fatality in The Taylor Hilgard range. Montana. Few details yet

With an unbelievably heavy heart, we are sad to report there was avalanche fatality on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range on Saturday. Two skiers were approaching the north couloir when they triggered the avalanche. Both were caught, one fully buried and one partial. The fully buried skier was recovered from the scene by Gallatin County Search and Rescue yesterday.

Alex and Doug went into the site yesterday and will be posting more details in the coming days.

Name:  ava.jpg
Views: 2832
Size:  97.0 KB

Vibes to those involved and the community. Tough start to the season.

Dang

On the approach. Shit shit shit

Oof, scant information elsewhere makes it sound like the fatality was a Colorado climber, but I haven't seen any solid confirmation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Vibes to those involved and the community. Tough start to the season.
    +1

Awful news. Condolences to family and friends.

Found this.

Sad to hear. RIP
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Terrible

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Found this.

Sad to hear. RIP
    Boy. That is a big loss to the climbing world if true.

Horrible, his young girlfriend was the other skier caught and had to walk out without him??? That's brutal. And a long way back to any car, and then a long drive to cell reception.

She didn't walk, and it turns out she didn't make it either. Damn horrible.
    RIP
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

So freaking terrible, Hayden was an awesome dude and was a constant source of good vibes and energy.

This was posted a few years ago for another young skier lost to an avalanche.

My heart goes out to their friends and families.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    She didn't walk, and it turns out she didn't make it either. Damn horrible.
    RIP
    I guess I'll wait for the full report as I thought I read she is alive. I shouldn't speculate.

Wow, I ran into Hayden at IME in Salt Lake a few weeks ago. Great guy. RIP.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I guess I'll wait for the full report as I thought I read she is alive. I shouldn't speculate.
    Yeah I'm just seeing this on facebook via mutual friends. I think she did survive the initial incident but has since passed. Definitely don't know details myself though.

Damn.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Gut wrenching. Vibes to their families. RIP.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Just got the email w/ prelim report from GNFAC:

- - -

The incident occurred on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range, approximately 20 miles south of Big Sky. Two skiers were caught, one was fully buried and killed.

On Saturday, two skiers hiked 6 miles from the Upper Taylor Fork trailhead to the north couloir of Imp Peak. Near the bottom of the couloir around 10,000’, they triggered an avalanche while ascending on skis with skins. The avalanche was 1-2’ deep at the crown, approximately 150’ wide, and 300’ long. The slope where the avalanche released was 38-45° steep with a north-northeast aspect (photo, photo).

This area received one foot of snow since October 1st, which was on top of 3-4 feet of dense snow that fell since September 15th. The avalanche was a hard slab of wind-drifted snow that collapsed on a layer of soft old snow underneath, and slid on the old snow from late September (photo).

Both skiers were caught, skier 1 was partially buried and skier 2 was fully buried. Skier 1 searched for skier 2, was unable to locate her, and then hiked himself out from the area. On Monday, Gallatin County Search and Rescue recovered the body of skier 2. They located her with avalanche probes, buried 3’ deep. Alex and Doug went in for the recovery and accident investigation, and will have a full accident report available later this week. Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the skiers involved.

- - -

Sounds like Hayden was unable to recover Inge's body, hiked out, wrote a note on where to find her, then killed himself. Damn.

Any source for that last part?

Wait, what?!?! That's fucking horrible.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Not written, except between lines of the report. Word on the street as well from Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Just got the email w/ prelim report from GNFAC:

- - -

The incident occurred on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range, approximately 20 miles south of Big Sky. Two skiers were caught, one was fully buried and killed.

On Saturday, two skiers hiked 6 miles from the Upper Taylor Fork trailhead to the north couloir of Imp Peak. Near the bottom of the couloir around 10,000’, they triggered an avalanche while ascending on skis with skins. The avalanche was 1-2’ deep at the crown, approximately 150’ wide, and 300’ long. The slope where the avalanche released was 38-45° steep with a north-northeast aspect (photo, photo).

This area received one foot of snow since October 1st, which was on top of 3-4 feet of dense snow that fell since September 15th. The avalanche was a hard slab of wind-drifted snow that collapsed on a layer of soft old snow underneath, and slid on the old snow from late September (photo).

Both skiers were caught, skier 1 was partially buried and skier 2 was fully buried. Skier 1 searched for skier 2, was unable to locate her, and then hiked himself out from the area. On Monday, Gallatin County Search and Rescue recovered the body of skier 2. They located her with avalanche probes, buried 3’ deep. Alex and Doug went in for the recovery and accident investigation, and will have a full accident report available later this week. Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the skiers involved.

- - -

Sounds like Hayden was unable to recover Inge's body, hiked out, wrote a note on where to find her, then killed himself. Damn.
    damn.

Condolences to both families on their loss.
    Move upside and let the man go through...