Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    specific could be “the debris pile 100’ west of the slide from the chute at these coordinates” etc

So sad. Was driving around the roots this weekend with wife planning on possibly skiing but for a multitude of reasons didn't end up riding. Saw this and thought about certain friends. Though only friends of friends this hits pretty hard. Be safe and tell the people in your life you love them every chance you get. RIP.

RIP, I read there was an avalanche fatality this morning in the local newspaper, but I was definitely not prepared to read this, it's just too sad

Just fuck.

I feel so badly for both families.

Reading about this hit me super hard.

The worst I ever felt was when something bad happened in a pretty tame area. Even though no one died, I felt an indescribable sense of despair for a long time. Some people you love too much to be able to handle feeling responsible for something bad happening to them. I totally get it.

Some things just aren't worth it.

I have thought many times about how it would feel if one of my partners died in an avalanche accident. Every time, I conclude that I cannot imagine it.

Complicate that with it being my significant other, and making a preventable mistake? I'm not saying I'd go down HK's road but I can understand it. It would tear me apart.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    From Doug Chabot, GNFAC.....

https://www.outsideonline.com/224869...n-kennedy-dies

Beacons off and in packs..... Fuck.
    Damn. I had a suspicion but was hoping it wasn’t true. Part of the reason I always make everyone in my party activate beacons before we leave the trailhead.

Condolences to the families and friends of the victims. I hope they are at peace and find each other on the other side.

I cannot imagine the despair he suffered to take his own life. Terribly sad.

So. So. Sad. No words.

I was in a climbing accident a long time ago that killed two good friends, including my best friend. Over 30 years ago. You don't forget or get over these things. I can't imagine it being your SO. So sorry to hear this. So sad all the way around. Condolences to all involved. I am in Bozeman and don't really have anything to offer but if the families want to talk to someone who has experienced a bit of this, I'd be happy to talk to them. Don't know them and don't want to bother them but thought I'd offer in case someone knows them.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Some things just aren't worth it.
    As a younger person with less experience, this is something I think about all the time. Damn.

I had a friend die in my arms in the mountains, but still, I honestly can't imagine the grief Hayden through. It's too much.

RIP to these two. Such a sad and tragic story

This makes me sick to my stomach and sad and downright pissed off if I'm being honest.

I hope that when the time is appropriate we can have an open discussion about this event.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just a few weeks ago, Kennedy published an essay on the climbing blog Evening Sends that contemplated climbing, loss, and mortality.

“Over the last few years, as I’ve watched too many friends go to the mountains only to never return, I’ve realized something painful,” he wrote. “It’s not just the memorable summits and crux moves that are fleeting. Friends and climbing partners are fleeting, too. This is the painful reality of our sport, and I’m unsure what to make of it. Climbing is either a beautiful gift or a curse…I see both light and dark in climbing. Through this recognition, true learning begins and a full awareness of the brevity of our time becomes clearer. It’s difficult to accept the fact that we cannot control everything in life, yet we still try, and maybe our path changes to something totally unexpected…Maybe the most genuine aspects of any tale are the sputterings and the silences, the acknowledgments of failure, the glimmerings in the dark. And maybe one genuine reason to try to share our stories about days we actually send something, when we are alive and at the height of our powers, is to try to bring back what’s past, lost, or gone. Perhaps by doing so, we might find some light illuminating a new way forward.”

RIP to both the lost souls
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Just unspeakably tragic, horrible.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Peace to all

How terrible. Wish someone could have been there for him.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

Heartbreaking. Hoping for comfort for the families in tough times now and ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I didn't know anyone involved personally, but this hit me really, really hard. Like was mentioned above, I think it's because it really makes me wonder how I'd respond in a similar situation.

Echo the thoughts of love to all those affected.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

We're friends of the family and while I didn't get to know HK as well as I wanted too, this is really hard.

My wife came home from work on Monday and had missed a lot of calls from a friend; something else seemed off that day and she said, explaining to me: "something's not right." It was after dinner, while driving, that we finally reached them. I pulled the car over and we sat for a while, stunned.

This really sucks.

Hayden, as many have now read (http://eveningsends.com/the-day-we-s...l-progression/), was grappling with a lot of weight from the death of his partners and friends in the mountains. His move to Bozeman was to refresh and change his course in life: go to school a bit, live with his GF, have a new place to grow. He'd passed on opportunities to go climb big objectives in order to sort things out and be with someone he loved.

Hayden and his parents had an incredible relationship. They were both parents and a son, and peers; all three were titans of the outdoor industry and larger "outdoor" world. Julie and Michael had an indescribable amount of respect for their son, his passions and his choices. Additionally, all three had spirits, attitudes and lifestyles that blurred the notions of age, ability, and knowledge. Hayden, at 27, had the wisdom, experience and direction of someone much older. His life experience was so so rich and his years from 20-27 were packed with insane accomplishments. As his writing and podcast/video banter proves, he rejected the current trends of his generation and embodied a genuine,
    raw and unbridled humanity that is disappearing from our current society. JK and MK, at twice his age, can ski, climb, hike, and bike with anyone. They have a zeal and joy for life that is hard to match. When we first met Inge, she and Hayden were off climbing 5.13's in Rifle while my wife and I (only a few years older than Hayden) were climbing down the way and getting our asses handed to us by JK and MK. They're the realest of the real.

To lose HK and Inge as a result of skiing is almost unthinkable. Both were very accomplished skiers and backcountry travelers. It was always a joy to run into HK out skiing; this tall, goofy, loving guy who was stoked beyond belief for a day on snow. He was born and bred in the ways of backcountry skiing; the details of this weekend are tragic and hard to comprehend.

He and Inge will be celebrated and their memories will carry us forward through life and the dreams to come.
    Last edited by Dr. Scientist; 10-11-2017 at 09:53 AM.

This is the saddest story I’ve read in a while. Just heart breaking.

+vibes to all.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Ouch. Such a simple mistake, such reverberating tragedy.

Take it easy out there folks. This pre-season skiing stuff is as serious as any other time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I keep coming back to this thread because I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy