Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 191
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8,492

    Avalanche fatality in The Taylor Hilgard range. Montana. Few details yet

    With an unbelievably heavy heart, we are sad to report there was avalanche fatality on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range on Saturday. Two skiers were approaching the north couloir when they triggered the avalanche. Both were caught, one fully buried and one partial. The fully buried skier was recovered from the scene by Gallatin County Search and Rescue yesterday.

    Alex and Doug went into the site yesterday and will be posting more details in the coming days.

    Name:  ava.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  97.0 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    1,680
    Vibes to those involved and the community. Tough start to the season.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,711
    Dang

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    1,880
    On the approach. Shit shit shit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    211
    Oof, scant information elsewhere makes it sound like the fatality was a Colorado climber, but I haven't seen any solid confirmation yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Vibes to those involved and the community. Tough start to the season.
    +1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helltown, MT
    Posts
    1,457
    Awful news. Condolences to family and friends.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,254
    Found this.

    Sad to hear. RIP
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    11,139
    Terrible

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    boy's club
    Posts
    863

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    boy's club
    Posts
    863
    RIP

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Found this.

    Sad to hear. RIP
    Boy. That is a big loss to the climbing world if true.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,261
    Horrible, his young girlfriend was the other skier caught and had to walk out without him??? That's brutal. And a long way back to any car, and then a long drive to cell reception.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,651
    She didn't walk, and it turns out she didn't make it either. Damn horrible.
    RIP
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    70
    So freaking terrible, Hayden was an awesome dude and was a constant source of good vibes and energy.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    462
    This was posted a few years ago for another young skier lost to an avalanche.



    My heart goes out to their friends and families.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    She didn't walk, and it turns out she didn't make it either. Damn horrible.
    RIP
    I guess I'll wait for the full report as I thought I read she is alive. I shouldn't speculate.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    4,682
    Wow, I ran into Hayden at IME in Salt Lake a few weeks ago. Great guy. RIP.
    Life is a lot like climbing: there isn't anything much more comforting than a good #2.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,651
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I guess I'll wait for the full report as I thought I read she is alive. I shouldn't speculate.
    Yeah I'm just seeing this on facebook via mutual friends. I think she did survive the initial incident but has since passed. Definitely don't know details myself though.

    Damn.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    1,602
    Gut wrenching. Vibes to their families. RIP.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,711
    Just got the email w/ prelim report from GNFAC:

    - - -

    The incident occurred on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range, approximately 20 miles south of Big Sky. Two skiers were caught, one was fully buried and killed.

    On Saturday, two skiers hiked 6 miles from the Upper Taylor Fork trailhead to the north couloir of Imp Peak. Near the bottom of the couloir around 10,000’, they triggered an avalanche while ascending on skis with skins. The avalanche was 1-2’ deep at the crown, approximately 150’ wide, and 300’ long. The slope where the avalanche released was 38-45° steep with a north-northeast aspect (photo, photo).

    This area received one foot of snow since October 1st, which was on top of 3-4 feet of dense snow that fell since September 15th. The avalanche was a hard slab of wind-drifted snow that collapsed on a layer of soft old snow underneath, and slid on the old snow from late September (photo).

    Both skiers were caught, skier 1 was partially buried and skier 2 was fully buried. Skier 1 searched for skier 2, was unable to locate her, and then hiked himself out from the area. On Monday, Gallatin County Search and Rescue recovered the body of skier 2. They located her with avalanche probes, buried 3’ deep. Alex and Doug went in for the recovery and accident investigation, and will have a full accident report available later this week. Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the skiers involved.

    - - -

    Sounds like Hayden was unable to recover Inge's body, hiked out, wrote a note on where to find her, then killed himself. Damn.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,250
    Any source for that last part?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    1,602
    Wait, what?!?! That's fucking horrible.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,711
    Not written, except between lines of the report. Word on the street as well from Bozeman.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Just got the email w/ prelim report from GNFAC:

    - - -

    The incident occurred on Imp Peak in the southern Madison Range, approximately 20 miles south of Big Sky. Two skiers were caught, one was fully buried and killed.

    On Saturday, two skiers hiked 6 miles from the Upper Taylor Fork trailhead to the north couloir of Imp Peak. Near the bottom of the couloir around 10,000’, they triggered an avalanche while ascending on skis with skins. The avalanche was 1-2’ deep at the crown, approximately 150’ wide, and 300’ long. The slope where the avalanche released was 38-45° steep with a north-northeast aspect (photo, photo).

    This area received one foot of snow since October 1st, which was on top of 3-4 feet of dense snow that fell since September 15th. The avalanche was a hard slab of wind-drifted snow that collapsed on a layer of soft old snow underneath, and slid on the old snow from late September (photo).

    Both skiers were caught, skier 1 was partially buried and skier 2 was fully buried. Skier 1 searched for skier 2, was unable to locate her, and then hiked himself out from the area. On Monday, Gallatin County Search and Rescue recovered the body of skier 2. They located her with avalanche probes, buried 3’ deep. Alex and Doug went in for the recovery and accident investigation, and will have a full accident report available later this week. Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the skiers involved.

    - - -

    Sounds like Hayden was unable to recover Inge's body, hiked out, wrote a note on where to find her, then killed himself. Damn.
    damn.

    Condolences to both families on their loss.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •