Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Napa/Sonoma Fires

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    10 feet of defensible space around your house in the woods ain’t shit.
    the concept of defensible space is not to stop the fire or flames, but to provide an area where crews can possibly safely defend a structure. a defensible space helped my friend's house and barn get saved yesterday in the lobo fire. the fire burned right up to the 10-foot cleared area and not closer because a crews was told to defend his home using that space. part of that space is now the hose line. a dozer line was also blazed on his property which served the same purpose and is now a hose-line.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-12-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Heh. G, you should check my folks' place out on satellite. Brown for like 40-50 yards out from the house in all directions. All the neighbors are green right up to the structure.

Dad has a dozer and a pretty big tractor now too. Pretty sure they'd end up ok if the shit hit the fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Give me a two-man wilderness IA with no water and a long pack out any day...but this california insanity is just nightmarish. No thank you very much.
    I'd rather dry mop all summer than do one day of 70mph winds blowing fire through neighborhoods. Ugh...so gnarly.

it sounds like the backfire at annadel sp really helped halt fwd progress.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Heh. G, you should check my folks' place out on satellite. Brown for like 40-50 yards out from the house in all directions. All the neighbors are green right up to the structure.

Dad has a dozer and a pretty big tractor now too. Pretty sure they'd end up ok if the shit hit the fan.
    in a "firestorm", bets are off, imo. example being the santa rosa kmart. still need active defending.

that new yorker OZ shelter in place article from a few years back was really eye opening to me. it gave a lot of detail about the actions taken by the guy that sheltered in place and survived in comparison to his neighbors who perished.

Yeah, they'd obviously have to board up and whatnot, but made a lot easier by all the space. I'm pretty sure their generator can run the well pump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Napa/Sonoma Fires

Hopefully, you'll never have to find out about the adequacy of that defensible space (or mine).
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Friends wife and friends from Australia ran out of their house in Calistoga in their pajamas. No word if anything is left.

Really sounds like people were given little to no warning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Head coach was sick so I trained fitness indoors today. Healthy 20 year olds don't even notice the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Hotshot crews don't even notice the smoke.
    Annotated. I've been kind of bemused by non-fire people complaining about the smoke. Wildland crews spend a lot of time in conditions like, or worse, than what the urbanites are complaining about. The general populace just has no idea.

Hug a wildland firefighter.

Lots of comparisons of SF air quality to Beijing too. Roll eyes. Please. This doesn't even approach 70s era LA smog. Certainly nothing to whine about compared to the conditions the firefighters are encountering

I hear you guys but age has a lot to do with negative affect of air pollution.

It's still unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It's still kind of a given.
    My POV. Get used to it people.

I guess I'm all into editing posts tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Annotated. I've been kind of bemused by non-fire people complaining about the smoke. Wildland crews spend a lot of time in conditions like, or worse, than what the urbanites are complaining about. The general populace just has no idea.

Hug a wildland firefighter.
    Running showers black after the 2nd or 3rd one. Black snot rockets for days. Sucking ash mopping up. We need to get blanket coverage for cancer for WWF like structure FF.

Wore contacts, so the smoke never effected my eyes as much, but definitely had CO over exposure many times.

A couple days of smoke in the valley is nothing compared to being on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My POV. Get used to it people.
    Well, reality is what it is. Location, vocation, lifestyle, etc.

On a related note, have you been paying attention to the "Tahoe West" project. Smoke will likely be the biggest issue and possibly the deal killer.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    Running showers black after the 2nd or 3rd one. Black snot rockets for days. Sucking ash mopping up.
    And blackleg that lasted until mid-January.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    On a related note, have you been paying attention to the "Tahoe West" project.
    No, I'll check it out. I assume there's a prescribed (Rx) fire element? I've got friends that work/worked on the Tahoe Basin forest service. Interesting social mix there.

Smoke will likely be the biggest issue and possibly the deal killer.
    I've said it before - people hate smoke. But out-of-control wildfires are the alternative to Rx fire.

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    We need to get blanket coverage for cancer for WWF like structure FF.
    The presumptive cancer bills that we've been working on, at least here in Utah, are anything but blanket coverage, but it's a good start.
    https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title34A/C...15051220150512

I thought wildland guys were covered by this bill as long as they met the reqs.?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Lots of comparisons of SF air quality to Beijing too. Roll eyes. Please. This doesn't even approach 70s era LA smog. Certainly nothing to whine about compared to the conditions the firefighters are encountering
    SF 10/13, 4pm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171013_160439.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	213794

Yeah, of course the firefighters have it worse. This is equal to or worse than early 80's LA

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    SF 10/13, 4pm

Yeah, of course the firefighters have it worse. This is equal to or worse than early 80's LA

Looks like Santa fell asleep in the reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Looks like Santa fell asleep in the reflection.
    LOL, yeah. The Amtrak bus connection brings out some interesting cats.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    SF 10/13, 4pm

I certainly feel for the people in Cali but that air quality is still better than much of the mountain west had to deal with for months this summer, especially the PNW

Yeah that would be a pretty clear day in August for JHole.
    Live Free or Die

Napa/Sonoma Fires

6K structures with melting plastics and paint make it a toxic brew. That's not just forest smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I certainly feel for the people in Cali but that air quality is still better than much of the mountain west had to deal with for months this summer, especially the PNW
    This was a good day in late August/early Sept in the Willamette Valley.