Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Dalbello Sole Compatibility

Name:  IMG_1373.JPG
Views: 3039
Size:  59.8 KB

The 2018 Krypton looks to be able to exchange for their GripWalk sole..... can anyone verify this actually being the case? Would be a wicked boot for scrambles & such.

Thanks in advance.

If you're scrambling and hiking...why not a Lupo or Lupo AX? Comes with grip walk, has a hike mode, and reportedly gives up very very little if anything on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If you're scrambling and hiking...why not a Lupo or Lupo AX? Comes with grip walk, has a hike mode, and reportedly gives up very very little if anything on the way down.
    I don't really have a desire for walk mode in this type of boot. Last season I had the ________ boot and after breaking the walk mode twice - I had to jump to another model. It was really a bummer to get the boot dialed in and then have it fail.

I have thought about doing a Lupo w/ Krypton upper cuff.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    You are correct. GripWalk is an option on the 17-18 KR2 Pro.

It isn't blatantly obvious in that picture, but they also eliminated the big chunk of plastic that used to be bridge the toe and heel lugs. I haven't skied it, but would wager that this design change will compromise the boot's underfoot rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBuecking View Post

It isn't blatantly obvious in that picture, but they also eliminated the big chunk of plastic that used to be bridge the toe and heel lugs. I haven't skied it, but would wager that this design change will compromise the boot's underfoot rigidity.
    That's a fantastic observation about the sole block. I've been guided toward the Lupo Factory.

I've got some reservations about the top buckle, yet we'll give it a go!

It is compatible with GripWalk soles. Keep in mind giving up the PE plastic of the KR for the PA plastic of the current Lupos will also have an impact on how they ski. A Lupo with KR upper sounds like getting the shit end of both boots.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    It is compatible with GripWalk soles. Keep in mind giving up the PE plastic of the KR for the PA plastic of the current Lupos will also have an impact on how they ski. A Lupo with KR upper sounds like getting the shit end of both boots.
    Pls expand.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Pls expand.
    Ended up here while looking for something else, but I'll chime in.

Polyamides (grilamid, pebax, nylons) are much stiffer and less dense than TPUs (PU-ether/ester), so thinner walls yield similar flex and lighter weight. Downside: limited damping compared to TPUs, less viscoelasticity, and slightly lower abrasion/impact resistance. This means on hardpack and icy conditions, or at high speed, polyamides are less capable of tuning out vibration and chatter. It's why they don't make WC race boots out of it, despite flexing more consistently when temps change.

TL,DR: grilamid is light and good for soft-to-mixed conditions and walking around in the woods, but doesn't behave as well as PU-ether at Mach nuts and on boilerplate. Thus, PA lower with no walk mode = shit end of both boots.

What he said, also less ability to store (load the boot) and release energy (transfer to ski) in a controlled and predictable manner.

It’s why a Cochise 130 skis way better (Polyeither) than a ZeroG Pro (Grilamid) despite having near identical designs.

Flex is not everything, most folks would be surprised to discover the final stiffness (or softness) of many WC racer’s boots. Those cut down 120s do however provide excellent ski feel and control.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post

One of the KR2 (vs orig KR) changes was the monoblock sole to mimic the lateral quickness of the Scorpion, wasn't it? So now it's going back? I guess the "I need Vibram on my alpine boots to look rad" consumer segment must be strong.

Old KR was a monoblock sole. Honestly, if you use a thin flat and somewhat firm replacement sole solution (Tecnica Mach1/current Cochise, Lange RX, etc) you see minimal loss in power transition. We do this to every boot we cant anyway. Replaceable soles make canting easier with cantology. I honestly don’t see a huge loss in power transition if you go to the Dalbello GW sole, since it uses two plastic lugs on each side of the heel.

Ah, ok. I didn't ski orig KR but was told that KR2's sole was different... lousy source I guess. Are enough boots sold this season + going forward with replaceable sole plates/blocks, to such an extent that Cantology will be the solution for most canted boots? Fewer custom-cut/-screwed shim plates? Lots less labor.

I know a couple shops which have sold their planers because they only do cantology or similar shim system. Process takes 20-30 minutes now.

WC boots will continue to be planed but I see most everyone going to cantology sooner.

Thanks for the insights I'm going to run a Lupo Factory for 85% of my skiing & keep a dedicated plug for the boiler plate stuff. Thanks all.

Sorry to bump this but can any link me or tell me what the Gripwalk soles are for this boot (Krypton/Il Moro 120 sole pattern)?

I can only find lupo w/ the rear alpine binding cut or panterra/etc with the square notch.

It’s now GripWalk compatible - just get a Lupo.

It’s now GripWalk compatible - just get a Lupo.
    The lupo sole will bolt on to the kypton 120/ il moro 120?

I already have an il moro 120, not looking for a new boot, just going on a trip i'll have to walk a lot.

Thanks

Lupo will not bolt on. Different pattern. I suspect it is too expensive to change the mold & you’ll see those models go away.

That should say not compatible

That should say not compatible
    Oh ok was confused by your response!

Yeah I guess the next time they revise the Il Moro 120 it will have the GW sole but I'm out of luck.

Lots of conflicting info in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not sure if this helps or I am just stating obvious but I think this link has some good info

https://www.grip-walk.com/boots/

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    perhaps too much crack on my part over the holidays.......

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    Not sure if this helps or I am just stating obvious but I think this link has some good info

https://www.grip-walk.com/boots/
    yeah this was the only place on the Internet that said this style of boot was GW compatible so I was intrigued how that was possible. Guess some of the earlier posters were wrong. Although I wish not.