Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NYC. Family Style. Nov 20-24. Recommendations?

My family is taking a trip to NYC the week of Thanksgiving. We are staying in Hell's Kitchen (way west HK 57th Street on the Hudson).

I don't know the city at all. It's been 17 years and even then I was just there to see music and party.

Our kids are 13 & 10 and solid kids. Some international travel experience, super adventurous eaters and generally good to go.

We have three full days (11/21, 22, 23) and want to make the most of our time. The wife and I will likely be leaving the kids at the apartment in the evenings for a few hours.

We know we'll do some touristy stuff (Met, Natural History, MOMA, 9/11, Times Square, Macy's day parade)

But...looking for some more recommendations...overall we wayyyy prefer to get off the sanitized tourist-track for more...challenging experiences.

-immersive theater? "Then she fell" is sold out for that week already.

-food. Thanksgiving day buffet? Also, we heard HK is good for international food. We love Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Thai, etc. any specific places to recommend? Also, bomb-ass breakfast please.

-performing arts: my kids are into aerial arts and that sorta shit. Not looking for broadway style ... more edgy or gritty?

-music. The days leading up to thanksgiving in NYC I'm guessing offer up some pretty amazing music. Aren't into jazz and blues as much as we are more international sounding shit (thievery corp, for instance)!

- food. I'm mentioning it again cuz it's super important

-beer. Any breweries not to be missed?

What would you do?

Thanks for the advice!

I grew up in NY but I got nothing for you (that was 30+ years ago). But I do have a 6 year old and parents that live there, so I'm interested in the responses.

We just did the Statue of Liberty and while cheesy it is still pretty cool, the views alone are worth it. And Ellis Island would be super cool for older kids (we skipped it because 6 is just too young to get it). I realized you said off the beaten track, but these are iconic. If you do this, you'll want to buy tix ahead of time, especially if you want to go up into the crown.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Some of the touristy stuff you mentioned can take up a half day or most of a day, you may have to cut some stuff out to add anything more.

Keen's is doing a Thanksgiving dinner.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We just did the Statue of Liberty and while cheesy it is still pretty cool, the views alone are worth it. And Ellis Island would be super cool for older kids (we skipped it because 6 is just too young to get it). I realized you said off the beaten track, but these are iconic. If you do this, you'll want to buy tix ahead of time, especially if you want to go up into the crown.
    Coincidentally I checked last night. Next available dates for the crown are in January 2018. An alternative may be the Hard Hat tour:

Your ticket includes: Round trip ferry transportation and access to the grounds of Liberty Island and Ellis Island, an Audio Tour of Liberty and Ellis Island and a 90-minute guided tour of the South Side of Ellis Island - exclusive only to the Hard Hat Tour where you will experience "Unframed - Ellis Island", an Art Exhibit by French Artist JR.

jgb@etree Guest
    Kids would probably enjoy a greasy burger at the Burger Joint in the Parker Meriden if you are in midtown for MoMA, etc.

If food is so important, and adventurous is on the menu, I suggest taking the subway to Queens. Either the F to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave for South Asian goodness, or the 7 to Flushing for mostly Chinese and some other East Asian stuff. I mean, c'mon, not only are we talking awesome ethnic food that won't break the bank, but, those places are about as New York as New York can be these days. I haven't been to both in a while, so you'll have to consult Yelp and other sources to find a specific place, because that industry is very fluid, constantly changing, and last year's hot place can be mediocre now or just gone. There is goodness out there, you can rely on that. Bourdain did an hour from Queens last season, so, if you can access that (maybe on Netflix), you can't go wrong with his likes. Good Greek in Astoria, too.
    Ethnic may be a better bet for Thanksgiving, too, since a lot of "domestic" places shut down.
    Try Peter Luger's over in Brooklyn for about as Classic a steak house experience as you can get. Smith and Wollensky second.

If you're going to the Met, don't neglect the Met Bruer, just a few blocks away, which was the old Whitney, now a Met branch.

Take the Staten Island ferry back and forth. Cheap thrills. Visit Governors Island. Great views of the city, cool new park. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Brewery is on the other side.

Yeah, I know, the Highline is a victim of its own success, a real tourist trap, but, it's still a cool thing, and the family should experience it. Combine it with the 9/11 visit and maybe the Whitney downtown.

Snowbird fans would maybe want to experience the Roosevelt Island tram, which is the same exact model as the Bird tram.

If you get bold and rent Citi bikes, or any other bike (biking in Manhattan is a friggin rush), just pay attention, please, and beware of being in bus or truck blind spots - that's how so many get crushed and killed in the city, when buses turn right.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

If you get bold and rent Citi bikes, or any other bike (biking in Manhattan is a friggin rush), just pay attention, please, and beware of being in bus or truck blind spots - that's how so many get crushed and killed in the city, when buses turn right.
    Citibikes + tourists with kids = Central Park. Not as big as it looks on a bike. Might be cold then though.

I'd be curious to know the best website to find who is playing music any given night. Time Out NY and BandsInTown suck, so I use Songkick. Not sure if it's the best choice though.

I'm a little biased because I lived in that neighborhood until two years ago, but a good off-the-beaten-path tourist activity is a guided walking tour of the Lower East Side or East Village. I did a couple when I first moved there, and they were awesome. Depending on what your family is interested in, they have a bunch of differently themed tours, and it's cool to get out of the more touristy areas of the city and see some of the more "real" neighborhoods. I think some of the tours are run by the Tenement Museum which is also a cool place to check out.

There are also a few food specific walking tours in that area that hit a few different food types, and there are a ton of great and interesting restaurants in those neighborhoods. If you have any type of food you're specifically looking for, let me know and maybe I can recommend something.

For beer, you could try Top Hops also on the Lower East Side. Kind of a combination pub / bar and beer store. They have maybe 20 beers on draft, and 700+ different types bottled

High Street on Hudson, Untitled at the Whitney museum, and Balthazar all have great brunches and would be good with kids.

Make a visit to the sweet shop on the UES, your kids will thank you.

Edit, maybe a ramen stop? Relatively inexpensive meal and still hard to get good ramen in many places outside of big cities. Hide-Chan Ramen in midtown is very good, was there a few weeks ago.

Two Boots for pizza then stop at Tompkins Square Park for a show.

heyyyy all. super stoked on all the replies! we are getting hungry just reading it.

Anyone know anywhere that is having a thanksgiving thing? We don't mind dropping some dough, but Keen's is $125/person and that doesn't include wine, tax or tip. I don't want to spend $600 (and easily way more) on dinner for a family of 4.

buffet style? something like that?

also, aside from food...what else? We have tickets to Sleep No More (without kids, of course) and we plan on doing some runs on the (touristy, I know) highline.

keep the replies coming!

Sounds like benny lives in Manhattan
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Under a bridge

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Under a bridge
    In the tunnels
    Zone Controller

NYC. Family Style. Nov 20-24. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    heyyyy all. super stoked on all the replies! we are getting hungry just reading it.

Anyone know anywhere that is having a thanksgiving thing? We don't mind dropping some dough, but Keen's is $125/person and that doesn't include wine, tax or tip. I don't want to spend $600 (and easily way more) on dinner for a family of 4.

buffet style? something like that?

also, aside from food...what else? We have tickets to Sleep No More (without kids, of course) and we plan on doing some runs on the (touristy, I know) highline.

keep the replies coming!
    Maggionos : family style

Or

The huge food complex made by that famous chef, tell the cabby
    Zone Controller

I know it is touristy but if you are visiting the 9/11 memorial you absolutely must go to the top of the freedom tower. The views are unbelievable. A little pricey but totally worth it.

There is a cool bar up there too. It’s a great place to have a drink. I got a double whisky and coke and it was 44 dollars. Don’t do that. Just get a beer

The Cloisters.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Also forgot to add Katz’s Deli if your on the east side. It is a total classic, and less touristy than the Carnegie deli and I thought the sandwiches were better too

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Benny lives everywhere. The world is his domain.

Rat watching is very underrated in Manhattan. Head to the darker ends of subway stations and toss a few Cheetos on the tracks. You're in for a treat.

When walking around play the "cell phone or crazy" game.

It's also the time of year when the street vendors sell Pashmina scarves. Test your negotiation skills and see if you can get 4 for $10. They come in all colors and the wife will love them.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The Cloisters.
    That's an interesting idea, especially during the holidays. There is a fascinating Xmas concert there in a 12th century Spanish chapel the Rockefellers brought over here, stone by stone. They use ancient instruments of the time. But, maybe Thanksgiving is too early, and it's hard to get to from Manhattan. The gardens are meh at that time, too.

And Benny lived next door to and worked in Manhattan for twenty five years. He drove a cab. He knows his shit. Go Yanks. All Rise.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Also forgot to add Katz’s Deli if your on the east side. It is a total classic, and less touristy than the Carnegie deli and I thought the sandwiches were better too
    The Carnegie deli is no more.

Leaving tomorrow! Stoked! Thanks for all the advice and keep the ideas coming!!

Radio City Christmas Show. Pretty amazing. Just don't pay full price.
    Coupon code: EMNOV40
    Upper level mezzanine are the best value. Hard to find a bad seat in the place.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Food: excellent Malaysian at Nyonya on Grand by Mulberry (Little Italy). Also equally excellent Malaysian in Elmhurst, Queens, Pulau Pinang 82-84 Broadway
    Katz's Deli is a no-brainer, although tourist swamped these days and you need a second mortgage. Still, it's pretty much the only real pastrami left and must to experience. In a similar vein is a really good Montreal style deli on Bond Street (Noho) called Mile End. Katz's also puts you into the Lower East Side, so you can wander down there (Orchard Street, Ludlow) and see that scene. Also down there is the only really good Mexican food I've ever had in the city, Casa Mezcal on Orchard--Oaxaca food.
    A lot of good Chinese places, I think Congee Village on Allen Street below Houston is still one of the best. Sent a buddy and his extended family there last year and they said it was the high point of their trip. Went by there last night and it's still mobbed with Chinese people, which is always a good sign.
    Somewhat upscale, but for sushi I think Blue Ribbon (on Sullivan?) is about as good as it gets, and not as much of a scene or expensive as Nobu. Go there for lunch and you won't have to do the hour wait for a table.
    Someone mentioned burgers, and for my money J.G. Mellon's is well worth it. There's one now in the West Village, but the one on the UES is the original--could be a good stop after UES museums. Speaking of which if Modigliani is cool the Jewish Museum has an exhibit. Met has everything--extremely crowded these days, but it also only costs what you want (they don't make it too visible, but the 'admission' which is listed as twenty something dollars is actually a suggested donation). Give 'em a dollar or two.
    I guess you'll be staying near the Intrepid aircraft carrier museum--haven't been in decades, but it seems very popular and I think is good.
    I think on Friday evenings the Moma is free?
    There are a lot of good galleries in Chelsea you can wander into. I was in Paula Cooper the other day on 21st and I considered it worth seeing. Probably a few dozen others right around there.

Cloisters is excellent, kind of a long trip up there (northern end of Manhattan), but you could also find some good Dominican food, I think.
    [quote][//quote]