Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Bikepacking

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Got my first trip in a few weeks ago on the AZT. Hoping to do the Coconino Loop and a few day trip on the San Juans section of the CT later this year. No details on that one yet. Really the goal is to get a longer trip in, all of my bikepacking trips so far have only been overnighters. Here's a pic from my first trip of 2019.
    Attachment 269645
    AZT goodness, that section is so great!

Speaking of overnighters...I got in a wee trip from the house this week. In typical fashion, I had done little research, didn't quite have enough food, most of the singletrack was really techy and had to push way harder than anticipated, good times!

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Got my first trip in a few weeks ago on the AZT. Hoping to do the Coconino Loop and a few day trip on the San Juans section of the CT later this year. No details on that one yet. Really the goal is to get a longer trip in, all of my bikepacking trips so far have only been overnighters.
    If you can fit it in, you should check out @schillingsworth 's Queens Ransom route first weekend of March. It's a big loop from Phoenix around to the AZT. It will duplicate the Picketpost to Kelvin AZT section you did in the Gila Canyons but its a nice loop, decent length, good resupply options and covers some cool stuff you'd probably never ride on your own.

https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/open...a-1094731.html

His TR from 2017 https://schillingsworth.blogspot.com...ransom-17.html and from 2015 when I rode it: https://schillingsworth.blogspot.com...ns-ransom.html. Route has changed a bit since 2015 to remove the less rideable stuff...

Nice!

Funny how things change!

I am hoping for some fishing bike packing trips in the Chuckanuts this summer!

Picked up a Karate Monkey frame this winter and slowly acquiring parts, will have 27.5 i40 wheels with 3" tires and a Jones Loop bar. The GF and I are starting to look at trips out west for this summer, AZT, CT, Oregon Timber trail are on the shopping list right now. Will get pics of the bike up when it starts looking like a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Picked up a Karate Monkey frame this winter and slowly acquiring parts, will have 27.5 i40 wheels with 3" tires and a Jones Loop bar. The GF and I are starting to look at trips out west for this summer, AZT, CT, Oregon Timber trail are on the shopping list right now. Will get pics of the bike up when it starts looking like a bike
    Awesome! I have a similar build I got this winter too except with a Krampus! OTT and AZT are on the top of the list for this year too!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If you can fit it in, you should check out @schillingsworth 's Queens Ransom route first weekend of March. It's a big loop from Phoenix around to the AZT. It will duplicate the Picketpost to Kelvin AZT section you did in the Gila Canyons but its a nice loop, decent length, good resupply options and covers some cool stuff you'd probably never ride on your own.
    I saw this while lurking on MTBR-Arizona. Looks like a great time, unfortunately I won't be able to make it work this year. Thanks for the heads up though
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    You've got wheels already or are looking? I'm getting ready to post some parts for sale and have wheels that fit that bill plus some other stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    You've got wheels already or are looking? I'm getting ready to post some parts for sale and have wheels that fit that bill plus some other stuff as well.
    I've got wheels already, thanks tho!

Bike choice is so subjective. Bikepacking can be fun on any bike. Started out on an On-One 45650b, had a great summer where that was my only mountain bike, was super fun for more techy riding, and felt like it rode better loaded down. Went to a Trek Stache last year, 29+ was a blast but that bike's spec was SO BAD.

This year I'm gonna just be on a Kona Sutra LTD for everything, all stock, just with real tires, and maybe a dropper if I'm feeling frisky. Last year I rode a bunch of super techy/primitive singletrack on the Sutra and loved it. It's way rowdier than it looks, and I think better tires will really open up its potential.

My partner has been on a Surley Krampus throughout my whole journey, and I'm still jealous of her bike. Would be my top recommendation for anyone getting into this whole "riding a mountain bike with a tent strapped to it thing."

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Bike choice is so subjective. Bikepacking can be fun on any bike. Started out on an On-One 45650b, had a great summer where that was my only mountain bike, was super fun for more techy riding, and felt like it rode better loaded down. Went to a Trek Stache last year, 29+ was a blast but that bike's spec was SO BAD.

This year I'm gonna just be on a Kona Sutra LTD for everything, all stock, just with real tires, and maybe a dropper if I'm feeling frisky. Last year I rode a bunch of super techy/primitive singletrack on the Sutra and loved it. It's way rowdier than it looks, and I think better tires will really open up its potential.

My partner has been on a Surley Krampus throughout my whole journey, and I'm still jealous of her bike. Would be my top recommendation for anyone getting into this whole "riding a mountain bike with a tent strapped to it thing."
    After last year as my first real year doing some gravel races and a few bikepacking trips I was hooked and up for an upgrade with a pretty beat to crap old hardtail. I read this review on bikepacking and almost bought a Sutra as a do it all bike: http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-sutra-ltd-review/.

Instead, I ended up getting a Krampus (I know completely different direction) and have been super happy with the purchase. Most of my local rides are on singletrack but I've been torn between loving cranking out long miles on dirt roads (Sutra) vs. what realistically most of my local options are (some FS roads, a lot of hardtail territory 1-track).

My other bike is my gravel bike as a do everything commuter, cross, road, touring type bike. I think my ideal fleet would be to convert this to more of a roadie/commuter bike with a rivendell-ish treatment, then go with something like the Sutra as my dirt road touring and distance gravel racing rig. Curious to hear more of your impressions on the Sutra!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Thoughts on the new Knolly Cache + suspension fork as a fairly long distance but with some tech thrown in bike?

I get deals on Knolly, so I am torn between the Cache or the Fugative. I like the idea of the Cache, but even with the biggest tires you can squeeze on there it's not gonna be a plush ride on singletrack. I want to do sections of the CDT and some long pavement/dirt road rides. Kook type stuff like strap my skis on the frame and ride from Bozeman to Beartooth Pass and go skiing in July stuff. Kinda seems like one bike can't really do both of those kinds of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Kinda seems like one bike can't really do both of those kinds of riding.
    Drop bar 29er with more than 40mm tire clearance could. Something like a 'monstercross' gravel bike like a Cutthroat or All-City gorilla monsoon. Although Jay P won the Silk Road race on a carbon warbird...

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/jay-...mountain-race/

I run 40cc tires on my gravel bike and have taken down semi-tech singletrack as long as you go slow it's alright. Not sure I'd want to navigate sections like that though with touring gear.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Kinda in a bind though because I have to ride Knolly. I still think the Cache looks sick. Can take 40mm tires. They make really nice stuff.

So there is a new route in development, which will connect Baja Divide and Oregon Timber Trail through CA and WA.

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/orogenesis.html

https://www.instagram.com/orogenesiscollective/

I spent a lot of time last summer scouting up the west side of the Sierras, and had already done a ton between San Diego and Sierras in past seasons. Others have been working on other areas so we will have a pretty workable route within a year or two. At first it will be "what we can ride now" and then work on building new trail where it makes sense and getting access to other areas where bike's aren't allowed right now due to fire closures, land manager rules, etc.