Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yosemite Stoke/Photo Thread

I've recently rediscovered what an all-around incredible place Yosemite is. Whether car camping, backpacking, or climbing, it's just fantastic.

Anyhow, please post your Yosemite photos and stories here.

I'll start with some photos from my recent trip . . . . (Not sure if the photos are too big for this format. They're copied from The Stash, which previously worked for me.)

The kids reach Glacier Point, the end of the Pohono Trail if you start from the bottom (Tunnel View).

Looking toward Tanaya Lake from the Half Dome Trail.

Sometimes you're riding a bike around and Yosemite hits you with scenes like this. By sometimes, I mean pretty much all the time.

Looking into Tuolumne Meadows from Lembert Dome.

Looking toward Tanaya Lake.

Hiking up the Mist Trail beside Nevada Falls.

The cables.

How to get a 7-year-old up the cables. (He crushed it.)

Cliched shot of the kids on Half Dome.

Making this year's holiday card.

Hiking down from Half Dome.

Nevada Falls from the JMT.

I love early October.

Inspiration Point, near the beginning of the Pohono Trail.

Crocker Point on the Pohono Trail. You can see the recent rockfall area on El Cap pretty clearly.

Half Dome, at the end of the Pohono Trail.

Cathedral Peak.

Eichorn Pinnacle. I'm still a gumby, but it's hard to go to Yosemite and not want to learn to aid climb.

I can't wait to go back!

I assume you took these before the two big rock slides on El Capitan

Yosemite picks never get old. I have nit been there since I was a small child and live fairly close by. Maybe I take it all for granted
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

MTT, get yourself back there! The rockfall occurred a couple days before we arrived. You can see it pretty clearly in the 4th photo from the bottom (Crocker Point), left-center of my son.

When the kids get a little older, start at Tanaya lake and take the canyon down into the park.

It's my favorite place in Yosemite, and I've seen quite a bit.

Looks like a very memorable trip for all. Thanks for sharing.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

These are great. I'm disappointed I never made it to Yosemite this year besides driving home on 120 the day it opened.

I haven't explored much in general given the huge numbers of people and how tricky it is to get permits. I need to fix that next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    When the kids get a little older, start at Tanaya lake and take the canyon down into the park.

It's my favorite place in Yosemite, and I've seen quite a bit.
    We considered doing Tuolumne or Tenaya to the Valley (the kids could definitely do it), but the logistics didn't work out with our Half Dome permit and YART availability. It's definitely on the list though.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I haven't explored much in general given the huge numbers of people and how tricky it is to get permits. I need to fix that next year.
    The permit system seems complex. We got a Half Dome permit on our second try in the 48-hour lottery. In reading the website, it seemed like many of the trailhead quotas were full, meaning we couldn't get a wilderness permit for the most popular trailheads (e.g., Cathedral Lakes) even midweek. But, we went to the ranger station, they told us we could get a wilderness permit for any trailhead with the exception of Half Dome. So we just picked up on for the Pohono Trail the day before. I'm still not totally sure how the wilderness permit system works.

Incidentally, the Pohono Trail was great. It's a little over 14 miles and 3,200' of elevation change. Most people start from Glacier Point and walk downhill to Tunnel View, which is definitely the easier way to do it. We did it uphill because my wife's knee hurt when walking downhill after Half Dome. But the advantages of going uphill are (a) you get to end with the best views at Glacier Point, rather than begin with them, (b) Glacier Point has a store that sells food and ice cream, and (c), when the buses aren't running later in the season, it's probably easier to hitch a ride from Glacier Point to Tunnel View than the other way around. (Incidentally, Americans suck with respect to hitchhiking hikers/skiers. The only people who stopped were foreign tourists. I ended up getting a ride from a nice older couple from France, for which I was very grateful.)

I like researching so I have spent the time to figure out the permit system. I'm all for restrictive bc permits in Yosemite but given that I tend to do trips on short notice it means that in summer time I'm looking at a five hour drive, sleeping on blm land night one, getting a walk up permit the next morning, spending another night on blm land outside the park, and then finally starting the trip 36 hours after I left home. In the fall same day walk up permits are a lot more plentiful.

You can get a good sense of demand and supply by googling "Yosemite full trailheads report" which they update every day or two.

There're just so many awesome places to visit in the Sierra outside of Yosemite that I usually choose to do something with less red tape.

Yeah, I went the to the trailhead reports webpage, which led me to believe that all the popular trailhead permits were unavailable, which didn't seem to be the case when we got there. Maybe lots of people bailed? I feel you on the short-notice thing. I'm reluctant to plan anything beyond what the weather forecasts.

Anyhow, nobody else is posting Yosemite photos, so I'll continue to do so myself.

These are from a ski-ish overnighter I did in June 2016. I've posted them elsewhere on TGR.

Mt Lyell (June 4-5)

Mt. Lyell is the highest mountain in Yosemite and a marshy slog from Toulemne Meadows. I'd guess it was about 12 miles of nearly all dry hiking to my camp spot (just over 10k) and another 1.5 miles from there to the summit. With a heavy pack, it equates to a lot of suffering. But, once I reached my camp, I was the only person around. As much as we complain about crowding in the backcountry, it's pretty awesome that I can say I was the only person on Yosemite's highest mountain that day. Anyhow, I'll let the photos tell the story from here.

Yeah, I remember this from the Eastside thread last year! I was close to doing the same trip when the road opened this year, but it didn't quite work out. I was hoping to go with a few non-skier friends and spend two nights around snowline. I figured I'd make them carry the non-essential essentials like wine and whiskey. Maybe next year. Things got suncupped so quickly out there too that I wasn't sure the skiing would even be good.

I read about people complaining about how busy Yosemite is and certainly it is if you go prime time, hang in the Village, expect to drive everywhere and only want to hike the closer in trails. Half Dome/ the trail to it is busy too. BUT when I've gone a little off prime time and got up early I've had great success. Permits can be tricky to get for the JMT (especially exiting Donahue) but a little advance preparation makes that easier. I did an awesome loop last year that started in Tuolomne then went counter-clockwise with overnights at the Middle Sunrise Lake, Little Yosemite Valley (with a Clouds Rest ascent in the late afternoon and a side trip to Half Dome later in the day), Merced, Vogelsang and then back to Tuolomne. Amazing trip with abit of the "best of Yosemite" moments. It was in early July and hardly saw anyone unless near Tuolomne/LYV. I think the trick was to get in before/at the Sierra Camp opening (thye didn't open this year at all). I don't think I could ever tire of that route.

I was supposed to do an Mammoth/Reds Meadow (INYO instead of Yosemite so easier to get permits from) trip this year but between the snow, crazy Creek crossings and then Fire I finally gave up and just hiked in BC/Alberta. Fantastic stuff here but we have Grizzlies that means I'm somewhat restricted (as a Solo Hiker).

Yeah, I remember this from the Eastside thread last year! I was close to doing the same trip when the road opened this year, but it didn't quite work out. I was hoping to go with a few non-skier friends and spend two nights around snowline. I figured I'd make them carry the non-essential essentials like wine and whiskey. Maybe next year. Things got suncupped so quickly out there too that I wasn't sure the skiing would even be good.
    That wouldn't be a bad way to do it, but I think it's still going to be an utter sufferfest no matter what. I've always trended toward cheap/durable over ultralight, but that trip changed my mindset a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
    I read about people complaining about how busy Yosemite is and certainly it is if you go prime time, hang in the Village, expect to drive everywhere and only want to hike the closer in trails. Half Dome/ the trail to it is busy too. BUT when I've gone a little off prime time and got up early I've had great success. Permits can be tricky to get for the JMT (especially exiting Donahue) but a little advance preparation makes that easier. I did an awesome loop last year that started in Tuolomne then went counter-clockwise with overnights at the Middle Sunrise Lake, Little Yosemite Valley (with a Clouds Rest ascent in the late afternoon and a side trip to Half Dome later in the day), Merced, Vogelsang and then back to Tuolomne. Amazing trip with abit of the "best of Yosemite" moments. It was in early July and hardly saw anyone unless near Tuolomne/LYV. I think the trick was to get in before/at the Sierra Camp opening (thye didn't open this year at all). I don't think I could ever tire of that route.

I was supposed to do an Mammoth/Reds Meadow (INYO instead of Yosemite so easier to get permits from) trip this year but between the snow, crazy Creek crossings and then Fire I finally gave up and just hiked in BC/Alberta. Fantastic stuff here but we have Grizzlies that means I'm somewhat restricted (as a Solo Hiker).
    Agreed, Carol. Even with crowds, it's hard for me not to enjoy the Valley. Honestly, just renting bikes and cruising around for a day is spectacular. And, as you mention, it's not hard to avoid people with only a little effort. But please post some photos of your backpacking trip last year. I'd love to see more info of that loop.

Anyhow, I went back this last weekend for some climbing. So this is cross-posted to the Climbing Forum.

My partner's flight was delayed by the wildfire smoke, so we didn't meet up until late. Stupidly, we decided to climb Royal Arches anyway. A late start, waiting for parties climbing or retreating, etc. meant that we finished the 15th and final pitch at sunset. It also meant that we had to rappel 1,500' by headlamp, which was a little frightening. Worst of all, it meant that we missed final call at the bar in the Ahwanhee.

Somebody else's photo of the route.

We were trying to move fast , so we took very few photos. But here's a nice crack about halfway up.

This is from about 10:30 p.m., when we were finally reaching big ledges and trees and were only 4 more rappels from the bottom. We started to feel a little relief after focusing on avoiding stupid or fatal mistakes while doing 20 rappels in the dark after a lot of climbing.

It being Friday the 13th, however, we did in fact make a stupid mistake. Have finally reached the ground on the final rappel, we forgot to untie a stopper knot while pulling the rope through. This meant reclimbing the first pitch the next morning to rescue the rope.

Bodies beat, we opted for the classic 5.5 cruiser on Sunnyside Bench so that we could take a dip in the pools. It was a mediocre climb and the water was way too cold, but the views were outstanding.

Walking off.

Yosemite is nice this time of year.

Thanksgiving two years ago:

Name:  12295260_10153117749776237_7154212563779317748_n.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  12278791_10153117700516237_6736727857381851937_n.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  110.8 KB

Here are a couple from my Yosemite trip last year.

Epic photos, The AD! Love the one from Taft Point.

Went to Yosemite for the first time this fall, and I can't wait to go back again.

Yosemite National Park by Phil Herbert, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I've recently rediscovered what an all-around incredible place Yosemite is.
    Rad pics

Two years late, but great photos, Supermoon.

Just did a 4-day, 3-night 37-ish mile backpacking trip with my 13- and 9-year old. Yosemite delivered once again. Our route was Tuolumne Meadows - Vogelsang Pass - Merced Lake - Cathedral Lakes - Tuolumne Meadows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23798B60-0557-471F-8BC2-1EB8221EC665.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	844.2 KB 
ID:	297293

Name:	8E2FBB0F-7D84-40DB-A495-50A490B6B7B3.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	297294

Name:	079CDDA4-56AF-4691-A0A7-10FEB979594A.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	297296

Name:	4831A48C-90BC-4D63-869A-547D341D1B89.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	297298

Name:	12D1A9A8-24F8-4FC4-BC05-128B5124850E.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	297299

Name:	10953684-23AD-433C-9104-F9515F2DA4DC.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	297300

Name:	C2F1AB4C-FAE4-4AE7-A5AD-5EB2168DFFEC.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	297301

Name:	A120A460-0F9C-41B3-98FC-58CD50272D21.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	297302

Name:	E7FE55E7-6F88-4395-B587-39EBC5458E39.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	715.5 KB 
ID:	297303

Name:	479FA263-CF77-4264-B9A4-100535740B03.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	786.2 KB 
ID:	297304

Name:	7BC781F2-9332-4348-9844-B255E4702ABB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	985.9 KB 
ID:	297305

Name:	F4FF3472-C3C3-438A-B586-796AEF1932CA.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1,013.0 KB 
ID:	297306

Name:	E6D8D510-2582-48F0-B7AD-638BF01D1414.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	297307

Name:	C454A662-609A-4D65-9A5D-2116050613C3.jpg 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	297308

Name:	EDB25BFE-8D37-472C-A7BA-696BA3BFEDBE.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	758.3 KB 
ID:	297309

Name:	08D73C37-98AD-462D-A595-04C02D6EB9DB.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	504.0 KB 
ID:	297310

Name:	C9B25D42-4B60-4107-BB8D-DA5210083E3D.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	297311

Name:	B259C62A-DB11-46B9-A42B-EFA2BB8F692B.jpg 
Size:	999.5 KB 
ID:	297312

Awesome! I hope my potential future offspring are into taking trips like this with me.

Thanks AK! Looks like you had a rad trip there as well. Something about that place sticks in my brain and my heart. I love it there.

Awesome! I hope my potential future offspring are into taking trips like this with me.
    Along the lines of our discussion two years ago, I think early October is an ideal time to backpack in Yosemite. The permits are very easy to grab, the crowds are gone from everywhere except the popular parts of the valley, and the daytime temps are perfect for hiking. Downsides are that the shuttle service no longer operates outside the valley and it’s colder at night. I also like backpacking right along the tree line. I love the Eastern Sierra, but it can get a little drab above 11k (nothing but grey and brown rock and the occasional lake).

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Something about that place sticks in my brain and my heart. I love it there.
    Exactly!

Sweet pics AKbruin. Impressive mileage for a 9 year old. Can get mine to hike but he starts complaining around 6-7 miles in and that's w/o anything on his back.

Very inspiring AKbruin. Shared the stoke with the kids and they are all in for a trip with dad to Yosemite.

Made my second trip of the summer to Yosemite this weekend and it was fantastic except maybe for that little fire down the way.

Avoided any permit headaches by entering from Saddlebag Lakes (Inyo/no quotas). It was my first off-trail backpacking in Yosemite and I can’t wait to do more. So nice to get away from the conga lines and have to use your brain a tiny bit to navigate. On trails I tend to just try to go as fast as possible for some reason.

Looking back at Steelhead Lake on the way up towards Secret Lake Pass:

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	972.3 KB 
ID:	339412

Looking back down towards Twenty Lakes Basin. North Peak couloir looking very gnarly.

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	339413

A nicer way to enter Yosemite than via Big Oak Flat:

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	339414

First camp at Upper McCabe Lake. Secret Lake/McCabe Lake Pass on the right and “Don’t Be a Smart Pass” on the left with the snow patch, where I’d continue on the next day.

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	339415

After a swim and some lunch I was reading a book on the shore of the lake when I noticed an unwelcome development:

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	339416

Things got weird quickly.

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	339417

I didn’t sleep well that night. Maybe part of it was not drinking enough water at altitude, but pretty sure it was mostly the smoke. Lots of ash on everything.

Name:	IMG_1539.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	339418

The air sort of cleared up the next morning and I decided to keep going instead of bailing back to the car.

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	339419

If I were doing it over I probably would’ve pressed on the first day and camped at the deserted Roosevelt Lake instead of surprisingly busy McCabe:

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	825.0 KB 
ID:	339420

But I had Upper Young Lake to myself the second night. Too bad the smoke came back with a vengeance and made it feel like dusk at 4PM.

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	339421

Yosemite or Mars?

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	339422

Still a pretty nice place.

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	637.7 KB 
ID:	339423

Was very relieved to wake up just before dawn Monday able to see the moon and a few stars. All three Young Lakes from Ragged Peak Pass:

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	339424

And traversing a classic Yosemite meadow in the way back to Tuolumne Meadows.

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	842.6 KB 
ID:	339425

Aside from the smoke it was a fantastic trip. It was nice to only hike three or four hours a day and loaf in the afternoons, especially since my July trip had been 45 or so miles in three days with a lot of vert. This hardly felt like I was working.

Hopefully I can make it back for one more trip before I switch to ski mode.

Very nice, aside from the smoke. I was just south of Shaver lake this weekend, and got chased out by the Creek Fire. Then got chased out by a different fire a few hours south. Sometimes you just can't win.

Were permits self-issued from Saddleback, or just no issues since there is no quota there? I'm seldom organized enough to arrange permits in time.