Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    If OG couldn't talk his kids into going to the Winds with him then I doubt he can convince them to carry his body there for a sky burial. Much better odds on getting them to carry his ashes.
    Declines in vulture populations have been causing problems for sky burial. Another unfortunate modern issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Declines in vulture populations have been causing problems for sky burial. Another unfortunate modern issue.
    I guess that leaves Magpies.

Bruning your body releases CO2. Decomposing bodies make methane among other things. You could be embalmed, but formaldehyde isn't that harmless, and even if you're embalmed and sealed in a casket and a vault eventually the gas gets out. And methane as we know is a much more effective greenhouse agent than CO2.

I suppose you could have yourself transported to some super arid place where your embalmed body would never decompose--like the Pharoahs--but the flight would have a pretty large carbon footprint. And building yourself a pyramid is very energy intensive.

The only way to die harmlessly is to never be born.

Cremation is more than CO2. It's all emissions associated with burning a tank of fuel plus whatever else is in the body and the casket. Mercury emissions from fillings are widely known. Preserved bodies and modern burial sucks, too. Harmlessness is hyperbolic but minimized harm is certainly a worthy goal.

fish need to eat too…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C89F7BD9-5DF4-407C-9F3B-531DBD2321AA.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	422047

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I guess that leaves Magpies.
    How about the cows/dogs/pigs in India? They eat anything and ..... oh, wait ..... they belch.

I don't believe straight Cremation requires the incineration of a casket -

I will try to add a link I found that included a Reference to an article published by Nature ;

I am struggling to understand how decomposition of a mammalian body produces much methane if the digestive tract is emptied and flushed --

worm food.
    I don't know what led to modern burial and cremation practices -

it is my understanding one grandfather became a cadaver ;
    the other three of two generations of ancestors were 'cremated' ( incinerated ).

goat - it's not too late for you to take your sons to the Wind River range, though I have an impression their lives are Very busy and it would not be the trip you wished it would have been fifteen years ago
    ( it may also not be the way you want to drop five grand for a three-day weekend ) ;

I will always wish I had found a grand to go ski with my father in montana in 2004.
    as it is, the last time we skied together was the single run he took at Targhee in 2002 ;
    I am grateful for that.

Circle of Life...

peace. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    It doesn’t; I did the books for a funeral home chain for a couple years. They have a burnable cardboard box for use in cremations.

Common vs required are different questions. Lots of casket companies ready to sell cremation approved caskets.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    fish need to eat too…

Name:	C89F7BD9-5DF4-407C-9F3B-531DBD2321AA.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	422047
    yeah so somebody needs to have their shit together and pour them ashes when all the bleeding hearts are cryin

maybe follow it up with a beer, the funeral guy suggested cutting a hole in the bag of ashes about the size of a loonie to get the really good pour action as ever one is sniveling

cuz you might get one hell of a mess if you just clip the cable tie on the bag ... ashes ever ware
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Older parents-WWYD?

I definitely want to be mummified. Prob won’t ever have the funds to do it properly and not really a big fan of the whole pull the brain thru nose thing, so I’m kinda hoping my kid finds a way to sneak me into some bog and hope for the best.

My dad wanted cremation. We had him sent straight from the hospital to the cremation center and cut out the middle man.
    Last edited by mcski; 07-20-2022 at 11:18 PM.

Throw my carcass in the lion cage at the local zoo. Give the kids a show.

Maz -
    I'm sure lots of caskets get sold to families who subsequently have the deceased 'cremated' -
    Grief leads to some strange decisions

( the two relatives who were buried were buried in pine boxes ( "caskets" ) ;
    I expect the contracts for those burials called for ' plot maintenance' as those boxes decomposed )

no criticism, Maz-
    it just seems ,,, sad to me.

skiJ

I don't know what most of that is trying to say. My point is if there is more than superficial concern for planet and progeny something other than traditional cremation should be considered. Lions is one option.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    A "container" is required, but a simple cardboard box is an option. Mom's cost $110.00,, cheapest option and likely greenest. They had wooden casket choices well in to thousands of dollars for the final ride.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I want a viking funeral anyway.
    Come to Big Sky when you die !

There is a smokeshack called the Viking Shack, it was ski-in/ski-out from Event HQ at 22BBI-MT, so lots of maggots have hotboxxed it over the years. Buster lies in state on the upper deck while we smoke up down below. Then torch the place.

Come to think of it, this is how I want to go out.

Name:	Image1658410339.153938.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	422066

Name:	Image1658410389.337955.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	422067

Name:	Image1658410502.892268.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	422068

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^FKNA Rasta Hut!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    A "container" is required, but a simple cardboard box is an option. Mom's cost $110.00,, cheapest option and likely greenest. They had wooden casket choices well in to thousands of dollars for the final ride.
    I got a deal on pre-owned oak urn for the ashes i seem to remember 45$

but you could also use the Folgers coffee can

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got a deal on pre-owned oak urn for the ashes i seem to remember 45$

but you could also use the Folgers coffee can
    I was talking about the boxes they are required to be in BEFORE and while cooking. The containers they are sent back to us in can even be just a simple tagged plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I was talking about the boxes they are required to be in BEFORE and while cooking. The containers they are sent back to us in can even be just a simple tagged plastic bag.
    heavy duty plastic bag with a metal tag and a cable tie

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    heavy duty plastic bag with a metal tag and a cable tie
    True story back in the day.. working in a luggage and gifts store a customer came in looking at jewelry boxes.. Had a plastic box comparing sizes. I told we could just open up the one she liked to be sure it was the right size.. Pouring what I thought was sand in to the red felt lined $200 jewelry box.. Then I saw the label as we came a cross a piece of metal.. she says "oh look there's part of his artificial hip!"

I was like .. BRB.. trotted to the back room for a moment of EWWWWWWWW!!! Holy Shit!!!!!

But ya that plastic bag with .. it was a metal clasp, not a zip tie... is exactly how mom arrived from the crematorium.

The undertaker told me to leave the ashes in the bag if you wana avoid a mess like the dude had,

So to get your parent out cut the corner off the bag and you get that good pouring action

but if its windy all bets are off cuz I ended up with a little of my dad on me and even more of my mom, so I've figured this gig out now but i've run out of parents

There’s a thin line between pathos and bathos.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

My GF had her horse cremated and the remains shipped to me for burial on my farm. 55lbs worth of ashes.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My GF had her horse cremated and the remains shipped to me for burial on my farm. 55lbs worth of ashes.
    Some friendships are stronger than others.