Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    What's your point? Are you saying that because harassment is rampant in a industry it should be excused?
    He said it's not a surprise. Don't be so fucking dense.

Apologies I'm severely dyslexic and reading comp is difficult sometimes.

Last night, Weinstein’s team issued this shamefulstatement.
    Mr. Weinstein regards Salma Hayek as a first-class actress and cast her in several of his movies, among them Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Dogma, and Studio 54. He was very proud of her best-actress Academy Award nomination for Fridaand continues to support her work.
    While Jennifer Lopez was interested in playing Frida and at the time was a bigger star, Mr. Weinstein overruled other investors to back Salma as the lead. Miramax put up half of the money and all of the P&A; the budget was over $12 million. As in most collaborative projects, there was creative friction on Frida, but it served to drive the project to perfection. The movie opened in multiple theaters and was supported by a huge advertising campaign and an enormous Academy Awards budget.
    Mr. Weinstein does not recall pressuring Salma to do a gratuitous sex scene with a female co-star and he was not there for the filming. However, that was part of the story, as Frida Kahlo was bisexual and the more significant sex scene in the movie was choreographed by Ms. Hayek with Geoffrey Rush. The original unibrow used was an issue because it diverted attention from the performances. All of the sexual allegations as portrayed by Salma are not accurate and others who witnessed the events have a different account of what transpired.
    Ed Norton, who was Ms. Hayek’s boyfriend at the time, [worked with Mr. Weinstein on the rewrite of the script in Mexico] did a brilliant job of rewriting the script and Mr. Weinstein battled the W.G.A. to get him a credit on the film. His effort was unsuccessful to everyone’s disappointment.
    By Mr. Weinstein’s own admission, his boorish behavior following a screening of Frida was prompted by his disappointment in the cut of the movie—and a reason he took a firm hand in the final edit, alongside the very skilled director Julie Taymor.

What is he even trying for? Nothing he says will change anyones opinion on him... aside from making it even worse.

Not shocked in the least about Russel Simmons.

Tom Ashbrook...the host of NPR's On Point show? Now THAT is shocking!
    (And not quite believable...but his producers have put him on leave nonetheless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Tom Ashbrook...the host of NPR's On Point show? Now THAT is shocking!
    (And not quite believable...but his producers have put him on leave nonetheless.)
    That one hurts. It sounds like he can be a real pain in the ass to work with. Maybe that was the accelerant for the complaint since both women and men signed on. Any sexual harassment is not excusable but I would hope his being a PITA isn't the main driver.

Omar Ashmawy, staff director and chief counsel of the Office of Congressional Ethics, is being accused in a lawsuit of verbally abusing women, physically assaulting women, and “threatening to use his position as staff director and chief counsel of the Office of Congressional Ethics to induce a criminal proceeding to be brought against Plaintiff and/or others.” His job is literally to investigate misconduct allegations in the House.
    Chutzpah.

looks like all the PBS / NPR talking heads are going down - probably for not much.

Today I see
    Travis Smiley.

I am waiting for the Music industry to kick in, All those dancers in the 80's music video's You gotta know it's comming
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

A lot of guys are just total dickheads. Especially the A-type petsonalities, and these are often the guys that end up in charge of companoes or in politics...so it isn't exactly a leap of logic to see them using their power to dominate women.

I wouldn't doubt some of these creeps have private fantasies of wearing chains and being whipped by a dominatrix.

Dustin Hoffman = rapist

just read some of the new Hoffman stories. Fuck these guys. I hate them for what they did, and I hate the fact that it's going to be hard to ever enjoy some of the great work they did.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Fuck these guys. I hate them for what they did, and I hate the fact that it's going to be hard to ever enjoy some of the great work they did.
    x2. The story about Batali having to be removed from the "rape room" because he was kissing and groping an unconscious woman is really bad.

just read some of the new Hoffman stories. Fuck these guys. I hate them for what they did, and I hate the fact that it's going to be hard to ever enjoy some of the great work they did.
    that started a long time ago for me with politics. this is worse.

the veneer that allowed people to suspend their disbelief is gone.

it will be interesting to see who is left standing to make movies after all is said and done.

please dear god won't somebody tell us a gentleman sandler is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    x2. The story about Batali having to be removed from the "rape room" because he was kissing and groping an unconscious woman is really bad.
    sure, but my life isn't affected by Batali, and if he disappears from the public eye I wouldn't notice.

But how the fuck will I be able to say "10 minutes to Wapner" or "I'm a very good driver" (to use a couple of examples) ever again? The thought will hit me, and maybe I'll even say it before thinking it, but the memory is permanently tainted.

How can I think "Keyser Soze" without being disgusted?

It's just impossibly hard to wrap my head around the scope of this shit. Because basic human decency is pretty clear, and this stuff all violates basic human decency.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Matt Damon just DOESN'T GET IT!!!

he seems intent on making himself collateral damage because he won't shut his fucking mouth

I hate them for what they did, and I hate the fact that it's going to be hard to ever enjoy some of the great work they did.
    Frustrating for sure, but sometimes I do think its ok to separate the art from the artist. Roman Polanski's a great example. Absolute scumbag who likely deserves to die a death of a thousand prison rapes, BUT the guy did some amazing work and I can still appreciate the films and the outstanding performances in them despite him.

There are LOADS of famous people who were morally reprehensible, yet their works are still revered to this day. Same logic. Some examples? William S. Borroughs, William Golding (Lord of the Flies), J. D. Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye), Charlie Chaplin, Elvis was notorious for sleepovers with young tweens (preferably virgins), Chuck Berry, R. Kelly, Woody Allen, the list can go on and on and on and on.

If we were to eliminate all works of art that were created by people who did disgusting acts of all sorts, then there wouldn't be much left if we knew everything about everyone. It's a sad truth about the creative world, whether it be literature, film, music, or classical art. There has ALWAYS been a seriously perverse element within modern Bohemian culture, yet the world's willingly been turning a blind eye...until now, which is a very good thing to happen in my opinion.

This all begs the age old question. Can bad people still make good art? The answer is of course they can. Good art doesn't make them good people, but their creations can still be admired. Glad the hero worship days may very well be over.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    he seems intent on making himself collateral damage because he won't shut his fucking mouth
    I forgot, SJWs are totalitarian dolts that don't understand the merit of dialogue.

It accepts the black & white thinking or it gets the stick!

I got money riding on Bobby Flay being a dirtball.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Austin, I get that. It's much easier to ignore the artist's baggage when they're a director or writer. Much harder (for me) to do so when I'm actually watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    I forgot, SJWs are totalitarian dolts that don't understand the merit of dialogue.

It accepts the black & white thinking or it gets the stick!
    huh? what i've read of damon so far is nothing more than mansplaining and soft excuses. he's not adding anything that hasn't been heard before when assholes try to justify themselves or give half excuses.

bros before hoes, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    huh? what i've read of damon so far is nothing more than mansplaining and soft excuses. he's not adding anything that hasn't been heard before when assholes try to justify themselves or give half excuses.

bros before hoes, amirite?
    Men not allowed to talk, just suck titty?

of course they can talk. and they can reap what they sow.

Austin, I get that. It's much easier to ignore the artist's baggage when they're a director or writer. Much harder (for me) to do so when I'm actually watching them.
    What about when it's somebody like Kevin Spacey, who is a scumbag actually playing a scumbag! A la House of Cards. He was and still is a fantastic actor. Funny that he plays a super sketchy, pervy, villainous politician. Fitting.

How about Sean Connery who beat his lady within an inch of her life? Michael Fassbender? Sean Penn?

I equate film to plays. The person behind the mask is simply playing a role. The actor and the character are not (always) one and the same. I'm able to make the distinction. Doesn't mean I want to support them and give them my money, though. We can all vote with our dollars.

I don’t buy the eccentric artist bullshit. My mom married one, and for 20 yrs I had to watch the slob eat thanks giving dinner with his bare hands. Then when he realized people were not eating, he’d go into some long winded bullshit about creating pottery with his fucking hands or something.

No, you were a slob. Rip.

Same shit with all these guys. They are still playing Micheal Jackson on the radio, and he molested children. Fuck that.