torn gasket under salomon toe piece

Flapping around under the toepiece, does this matter? Seems to be there to keep snow/ice buildup from the spring (covers the spring), but it certainly isn't airtight when not torn. Am thinking of using that flexible epoxy rubbery type stuff to repair. If that gasket isn't there, are you risking an issue with release characteristics?
    [quote][//quote]

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Negative. Ride as is.

The gasket does help keep snow out, but I rode a few different pair of 997/977/900s with the same issue over several years and never noticed any build up or icing in any conditions. Certainly not enough to interfere with normal operation. In comparison, FKS/Pivot, Griffon/Jester have open or partially open spring chambers.

The spring is painted and greased, there's really not anything in there that's going to corrode due to day-to-day usage.

If it has no effect, my question is why does Salomon build the bindings that way?

Probably just to help keep out dirty spring snow or roof rack road spray, so grease in the spring follower/pedestal interface stays clean for consistent release values. Wouldn't worry about it, especially in clean snow. Could try covering the opening with duct tape or gaffers tape if you like.

Good enough. Thanks.

I dealt with this last winter. I decided to just cover the opening with duct tape, with my only objectives being to keep out dirt/snow and prevent ice from impeding movement of the spring. No problems so far with that solution, but not sure how often that tape will peel off and require new tape.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy