Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Ah then I think you will be fine. Coverage is pretty amazing. Mountain rewards those who know it. I would go fatter then

A first for me yesterday: went to Whistler as a day trip from Seattle. About ten hours in the car versus six on the mountain! Interesting visibility yesterday with two levels of clouds. One layer about mid-mountain and the other around the treeline. It was definitely more fun when I could see! Crowds really weren't bad. You can see the Harmony lineup in this shot and that was really the longest line I had to wait in.

Well guess its time to decide on skis for me since I fly in two days from Scotland to Vancouver and skiing Sunday through Friday...

Forecast seems Blubeird till Tuesday then some snow... so definitely leaning towards two pairs of skis - 118 and 108... first 3 days will be on the Kartels... and hopefully last 3 on the Billy Goats....

One more question whats the temps in village at night lately??? I am leaning towards just taking my lighter down and not the big down as it was not too cold last year....

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    ...whats the temps in village at night lately??? I am leaning towards just taking my lighter down and not the big down as it was not too cold last year....
    Sorry, I haven't witnessed the ski conditions since 8 days ago, because I've been sick with flu. But the forecasts for SUN-FRI look to me like "not reliably predictable" this far in advance, so maybe bring both skis to be ready for anything.

Recent nights have not been very cold at Village level (it has been rainfall, not snowfall). Still, if your only heat source while sleeping is your own body heat, it seems safest to bring your warmest down, just in case a surprise -15C night happens.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Well guess its time to decide on skis for me since I fly in two days from Scotland to Vancouver and skiing Sunday through Friday...

Forecast seems Blubeird till Tuesday then some snow... so definitely leaning towards two pairs of skis - 118 and 108... first 3 days will be on the Kartels... and hopefully last 3 on the Billy Goats....

One more question whats the temps in village at night lately??? I am leaning towards just taking my lighter down and not the big down as it was not too cold last year....
    Haven't been up since last weekend but it's sounding a bit grim, rained to 1850m yesterday and the high alpine got close to 0C with winds gusting 170km/h last night. I read in another thread that it was drizzling half way up Glacier chair. Models are in disagreement about next week but I dunno if I would expect a lot of snow, maybe a skiff mid-week. If it's gonna cost you a bunch of money to fly with two pairs of skis I'd just bring the 108's.

Resort was brutal yesterday. Windy, foggy, rainy.
    Hopefully some of that fell as snow, it was pissing rain when i left work at midnight, but nothing showed up on the snow report this morning. Maybe the model with precip wins and we get some snow.

Took a run up a semi classic in the area on Tuesday. We had very little intention of getting all up in it, but after finding a very stable snowpack decided to have a quick look. We got no reaction at all and not a single change of layer all the way down to rock, just in the fan of the apron. Assumed it had slid naturally during the storm as HS was only 175cm. Decent light gave us full view of the cornice on the way up. Ended up pulling the pin just before the cornice as wind slab and unconsolidated snow made progress so slow that the cornice freaked us.
    From skin track
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27836225_10155992423286083_1498215456_o.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	223558
    Mid couloir on the boot pack

Name:	27947154_10155992423346083_1462531279_o.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	223559
    Way down.

Name:	27947201_10155992423271083_1592198881_o.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	898.6 KB 
ID:	223560
    Just before apron

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	879.2 KB 
ID:	223561
    was a long day. nearly 11 hours, guessing close to 2k vertical.

Cool pics nortonwhis. Light looks better pointed downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Haven't been up since last weekend but it's sounding a bit grim, rained to 1850m yesterday and the high alpine got close to 0C with winds gusting 170km/h last night. I read in another thread that it was drizzling half way up Glacier chair. Models are in disagreement about next week but I dunno if I would expect a lot of snow, maybe a skiff mid-week. If it's gonna cost you a bunch of money to fly with two pairs of skis I'd just bring the 108's.
    i'd have nothing over 100mm up there right now. Looks like cool, dry and a bit of sun for next week but i don't think anyone has successfully predicted more than 3 days out in these parts in a long time.

This has been one whacky year for weather in coastal mtns. I've never seen so many inversions and just plain warm temps. Revy and okanagan looking good.

I havent been on the hill, still nursing my busted leg. I was out at Jack's fundraiser on Monday and I was in shorts and a puffy crutching around the village before and after the event. I find having a good jacket makes way more sense for liquid valley snowfall than it does for super cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Sorry, I haven't witnessed the ski conditions since 8 days ago, because I've been sick with flu. But the forecasts for SUN-FRI look to me like "not reliably predictable" this far in advance, so maybe bring both skis to be ready for anything.

Recent nights have not been very cold at Village level (it has been rainfall, not snowfall). Still, if your only heat source while sleeping is your own body heat, it seems safest to bring your warmest down, just in case a surprise -15C night happens.
    Hmmm thanks... still so undecided on the skis situation...

yes been seeing that over the last week but seems to cool down now...

Sleeping??? I guess I will take both down jackets then...

yes price is a factor but getting the right skis is more important...

thanks for the opinion...

1 - 1 the score...

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    Cool pics nortonwhis. Light looks better pointed downhill.

i'd have nothing over 100mm up there right now. Looks like cool, dry and a bit of sun for next week but i don't think anyone has successfully predicted more than 3 days out in these parts in a long time.

This has been one whacky year for weather in coastal mtns. I've never seen so many inversions and just plain warm temps. Revy and okanagan looking good.
    hmm s guess you are saying just take the narrower ski then...

2-1 so far and I need to book the extra bag tomorrow at the latest so will wait to see what I get tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    I havent been on the hill, still nursing my busted leg. I was out at Jack's fundraiser on Monday and I was in shorts and a puffy crutching around the village before and after the event. I find having a good jacket makes way more sense for liquid valley snowfall than it does for super cold weather.
    ok will take the big one definitely now...

Just got off the hill, and am packing up my Patrons, and (at best) going to take my Kastle 108's up tomorrow, or maybe the MX88's.

The top of Whistler around the gondola was a skating rink. Incredible it could be so bad after yesterday. Took a couple of runs then went over to Sympony which wasn't a lot better, so took P2P back to BC as it was so much better yesterday. Well, about the same crusty nastiness, although there was some sun later, so 7th warmed up pretty well, but in the usual Whistler reality, the clouds came in, so the snow was OK if you had any idea where to look through the fog.

Anyway, Patrons are packed, and in decision process for tomorrow. Glad I'm leaving though as it's a long weekend and the hotels are packed, meaning serious carnage on the hill with these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bite Me View Post
    Just got off the hill, and am packing up my Patrons, and (at best) going to take my Kastle 108's up tomorrow, or maybe the MX88's.

The top of Whistler around the gondola was a skating rink. Incredible it could be so bad after yesterday. Took a couple of runs then went over to Sympony which wasn't a lot better, so took P2P back to BC as it was so much better yesterday. Well, about the same crusty nastiness, although there was some sun later, so 7th warmed up pretty well, but in the usual Whistler reality, the clouds came in, so the snow was OK if you had any idea where to look through the fog.

Anyway, Patrons are packed, and in decision process for tomorrow. Glad I'm leaving though as it's a long weekend and the hotels are packed, meaning serious carnage on the hill with these conditions.
    Nothing good in the high alpine at all?

My take on it is that if the snow is so wet and heavy that a 108 wide ski can;t handle it, then head for the B.C. interior where it is less crowded, less expensive and the snow is drier AND you won't find any resorts selling garbage bags with their logo on the front and arm and neck holes already cut....way, way too prepared for rain at WB.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Ian Mac posted an insta story of dominator today and it looked soft? Maybe certain aspects are still ok.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    The best snow yesterday was at the top of Glacier chair, today it seemed like it had all blown off and it was crusty. Very crusty. Was at Fanatyko for a beer or three tonight, and some said that Symphony softened up and was OK later in the day.

Will be heading there tomorrow to see how that's working out.

7th was OK later, but had a real cluster of a liftline, and, of course, whenever I got off the chair, it clouded up and couldn't see anything. Supposed to be clear tomorrow.

After all the chat from 1 pair or two pairs of skis...

I set the bags up with 1 pair and could not fit everything in with ski pack and avi gear so having to take tow pairs anyway... now my Whistler Snow dance is on... dam you needing so much stuff for 8 days away...

Packed both down jackets.... so ready to go tomorrow at 4am....

appreciate all the opinions and info from this thread....

...Packed both down jackets....
    Oh, sorry I misunderstood before. By "down" I thought you meant down sleeping bag, like you were planning to sleep in your car or tent at Village elevation. Anyway, my stance is that jacket choice in the Village is never important. Any jacket works. If you get cold, step into a heated indoor shop or pub or whatever.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    apparently we don't need overnight snowfall anymore, just 24hr? come on, vail
    Oh, Vail has all sorts of ways of screwing up your ski hill. They are the best at it.

FWIW, the 12 hour snowfall made a comeback online a couple days ago

FWIW, the 12 hour snowfall made a comeback online a couple days ago
    At least someone is listening. Would be nice if they made the avalanche report one click from snow reports again (and they are only showing next day, not 3 days like they traditionally have).

Was debating touring off Blackcomb tomorrow but now thinking about biking on the Shore/Squamish instead.

At least someone is listening. Would be nice if they made the avalanche report one click from snow reports again (and they are only showing next day, not 3 days like they traditionally have).

Was debating touring off Blackcomb tomorrow but now thinking about biking on the Shore/Squamish instead.
    yeah, I've bit the bullet and agreed to Squamish riding tomorrow....there's always one or two of those mid winter...at least, hopefully only one or two

yeah, I've bit the bullet and agreed to Squamish riding tomorrow....there's always one or two of those mid winter...at least, hopefully only one or two

Took a quick run up Ladies first and Disease today. Great steeps snow on Disease, not deep but good, consistent soft pow in in the shaded aspects.

Someone absolutely fucked disease. When i left at 2pm day before yesterday it was in great shape. When i got back there at 2 yesterday it was a slide slipped mess of shit. Why do people bother hiking all the way up and then slide slip the one fun piece of gnar close to the resort. Fuckers. Still a great day watching the sun set, trying not to freeze!

Name:	IMG_1198[1].jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	224006

Name:	IMG_1201[1].jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	949.9 KB 
ID:	224007