Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Was Spankys open today? I see Showcase was closed... so was Peak. Debating what to hit up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Was Spankys open today? I see Showcase was closed... so was Peak. Debating what to hit up tomorrow
    Showcase hasn't been open in 3 days...the glacier still unsafe from the weekend?

Yes, Spanky's was open all day today. I got 6 laps there, and still good snow could be found at 2:45pm.

Lakeside/Xhiggy's zone has likely seen very few tracks since Saturday. (And Backcomb Glacier, too.) Be careful in Lakeside/Xhiggy's---gates were open for a very brief time this morning, and I caused a 5-6 inch deep slide there before the lift closed around 10am.

Very big crown under Chainsaw Ridge, so not sure how the remaining snow there will ski. But no crown directly under Saudan, so likely decent snow if you stay on that Saudan side.

Peak was closed only 1 day, but after so much recent snowfall, even after it got chopped up, sometimes all it takes is a little bit of new snow and some wind to buff it, so I think I will try Peak tomorrow and see how it goes. Worst case, I'm guessing Khyber can't be completely destroyed yet after 1 day without easy access from Peak chair.

- TRADE your heavy BILLYGOATS or PROTESTS for my lightweight versions at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Yes, Spanky's was open all day today. I got 6 laps there, and still good snow could be found at 2:45pm.

Lakeside/Xhiggy's zone has likely seen very few tracks since Saturday. (And Backcomb Glacier, too.) Be careful in Lakeside/Xhiggy's---gates were open for a very brief time this morning, and I caused a 5-6 inch deep slide there before the lift closed around 10am.

Very big crown under Chainsaw Ridge, so not sure how the remaining snow there will ski. But no crown directly under Saudan, so likely decent snow if you stay on that Saudan side.

Peak was closed only 1 day, but after so much recent snowfall, even after it got chopped up, sometimes all it takes is a little bit of new snow and some wind to buff it, so I think I will try Peak tomorrow and see how it goes. Worst case, I'm guessing Khyber can't be completely destroyed yet after 1 day without easy access from Peak chair.

Cheers dude. Uploading Whistler side now, straight to Peak . Khyber, Million etc. should be great.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Showcase hasn't been open in 3 days...the glacier still unsafe from the weekend?
    its the hangfire above from husume, corona phalanx. Might not open til they can get a heli up there to bomb.

Such a sick mid-week day. Variable weather including intense snow at times (20cm 6am-3pm) but wind died off toward the end of the day. No real lines either... West Cirque -> Xmas trees, Million Dollar then 3 Khyber laps, nicely filled in and as good as I've ever hit it in recent winters.

Looks like Showcase/Blackcomb gl opened today too.

Creekside Gondola has now started uploading. The line-up provides convenient direct access to WBs world-class shopping, including delicious Starbucks, practical banking, fine liquor store, and yes-even direct access to groceries at Creekside Market.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Just an observation...had to zoom in and see if anyone actually had skis. They like 'em short, eh? NTTATWWT.

Such a sick mid-week day. Variable weather including intense snow at times (20cm 6am-3pm) but wind died off toward the end of the day. No real lines either... West Cirque -> Xmas trees, Million Dollar then 3 Khyber laps, nicely filled in and as good as I've ever hit it in recent winters.

Looks like Showcase/Blackcomb gl opened today too.

Where is considered x-mas trees?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Where is considered x-mas trees?
    I've always known it as the trees on the west side of West Ridge (traverse left after West Cirque onto WR then drop skier's left).

I've always known it as the trees on the west side of West Ridge (traverse left after West Cirque onto WR then drop skier's left).
    yah, we hit WC-XT first lap Peak on Friday morning pretty much following patrol tracks, probably as good as I've ever had it, just really stellar

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Just an observation...had to zoom in and see if anyone actually had skis. They like 'em short, eh? NTTATWWT.
    The line wasn't moving at all for hours, so many of the skis are horizontal on the pavement underfoot (can't see them in that photo).

But yes, in non-ideal snow conditions, some tight entrances at Whistler form a side-slipped scraped-out ~175cm wide trench with short vertical walls. Not sure if that means all the Whistler skiers have short skis, or if schools of toddlers scrape it out, or snowboarders with their tiny boards. But I do know that when you take your long skis in there, they don't fit into those trenches, so sometimes you get 2 contact points if you sideslip it---just the end of the tip, and end of the tail, with middle of the flexed ski suspended in air. Better to straight-line the trenches that short skis dug out.

- TRADE your heavy BILLYGOATS or PROTESTS for my lightweight versions at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Yesterday was one of the best days i've had on the mountain here.
    Top to bottom bow laps on blackcomb, lower mountain filling in really well

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Yesterday was one of the best days i've had on the mountain here.
    Top to bottom bow laps on blackcomb, lower mountain filling in really well
    It sure has been fantastic. As a first timer for the season I'm still getting my bearings, but wrong turns have been hard to come by lately. Hoping for lowering snow levels on whatever is coming this weekend.

Thinking of changing my trip to Tahoe next week to Whistler. Hows the drive from Squamish to the mountain in snowy conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Thinking of changing my trip to Tahoe next week to Whistler. Hows the drive from Squamish to the mountain in snowy conditions?
    not bad w good tires

Today Spankys and alpine cracked
    Last edited by LeeLau; 01-25-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Today was pretty grand (especially with the bonus sun and great vis until noon). One of the best in bounds days I've had.

Ffmedic84, I hear Tahoe is thin. It's probably worthwhile but we have a monster system coming in on Sunday but with really high freezing levels.

You need to find a time machine and get out here for this week.

Nice to see a bit of blue sky/sun this morning. Haven't done a Blackcomb pow day in a while, bit rusty, ended up too low for the Bite traverse off Solar first lap, oops. Zut Zut first Spankys lap was blown in awesome and deep as always, but kinda wish I went and looked at Wildeside first. Didn't know what to do after that so went back to familiar ground of Harmony where somehow no one had hit Robertson's trees yet at 11:30am. Managed 4 untracked laps as good as I've ever skied in there then a Flute before calling it. Peak to Peak lift line and area beside it looked good to go but didn't fancy exploring solo at 2pm. Great couple days of resort skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Thinking of changing my trip to Tahoe next week to Whistler. How’s the drive from Squamish to the mountain in snowy conditions?
    No brainer. All terrain has been open at Whistler Blackcomb from the start of the season. Squaw in Tahoe couldn't open Granite Chief lift until Jan 21 this season. WOW! And KT-22 and Headwall lifts have not even opened yet this season. DOUBLE WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    not bad w good tires

Today Spankys and alpine cracked
    They’ve been open all week. Sweet pics though.

Today was just fluff. Nearly every turn thru spankys was a guaranteed faceshot.
    Pow to the valley floor on the way out.

Poop Chutes went huge, up and onto the rescue road. Popped out a pretty good size slab at the top of feather trees, just big enough to drag thru the grater, but luckily got out of there

^^ sounds like some big activity all around, saw a pic on Wayne's blog of sz 3 out of Monday's and could see the Whiplash crown from Jersey Cream easily yesterday.

Anyone know if WB has released detail on where the "new" Catskinner quad will be aligned next winter? The maps on the chairlift towers make it look like bottom station at the end of Sunset Blvd/Pruned Paradise and top station as is. Seems a bit odd as that would make lapping the Solar Coaster runs require going all the way down to the new Gondola (or Excelerator -> JC).

Anyone know if WB has released detail on where the "new" Catskinner quad will be aligned next winter? The maps on the chairlift towers make it look like bottom station at the end of Sunset Blvd/Pruned Paradise and top station as is. Seems a bit odd as that would make lapping the Solar Coaster runs require going all the way down to the new Gondola (or Excelerator -> JC).
    From what I heard around the bars, from a guy who knows a guy whose uncles brother did the contracting work blah blah, that its getting lengthened as well as re-aligned. I have no idea which way but from what i heard it was towards whistler rather than towards solar. I assume they will need to make it accessible via blue runs from the top of excel. I wonder if they will cut a proper cat track or something where the traverse normally goes. But for sure the freefall laps will be different. Or maybe it will be extended far enough that you can traverse there from the bottom of solar.
    Its such a huge project, its gonna be chaos biking on blackcomb this summer!

No brainer. All terrain has been open at Whistler Blackcomb from the start of the season. Squaw in Tahoe couldn't open Granite Chief lift until Jan 21 this season. WOW! And KT-22 and Headwall lifts have not even opened yet this season. DOUBLE WOW!

Your timing is unreal! What a season! Hope those Priors are getting some good use

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Yeah, 25-26 are our on mtn dates. This coming week looks pretty good, oh well.
    Well you did well

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Well you did well

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Yeah man, its been pretty gooood. Heres me and a couple buddies in Lakeside Bowl mid afternoon today

Happened to hit the Blackcomb Glacier right when it opened today as well. Lotta snow up there, but viz was pretty bad.