Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Hey all, any suggestions for a Duffey first timer? Looking for a couple of easier day trips to get our feet wet in the zone this week. From posts in this thread and Lee's blog and the Baldwin map I though Vantage ridge and Blowdown looked like possibilities or perhaps Joffre lakes? Not looking for gnar or big peaks, just some Duffey 101 and nice pow turns. Have toured WB near country /baker/north shore. Thanks for the input!

Vantage. Cayoosh's Lazy Boy glacier. Heartstrings. Those are all simpler route finding exercises and a good start

mellow central duffey day with flat light yesterday. S to W aspects definitely starting to get suncrusty.

any signs of instability?

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    mellow central duffey day with flat light yesterday. S to W aspects definitely starting to get suncrusty.

i think i might have mentioned 51 was bombed. Aussy slid NA.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    any signs of instability?
    none. the next dump might not bond well to the aforementioned sun crust

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    i think i might have mentioned 51 was bombed. Aussy slid NA.
    yeah i saw the MOT post on the FB group. i don't know which one 51 is.

FYI, i asked if a sign is posted at the trailhead notifying people when heli-bombing is planned. i was very shocked to hear the answer was no. i was told that they do a visual aerial sweep for recreators, which seems pretty far from thorough. they do post on the FB group and drive BC though. so if you don't check those 2, make sure you're wearing bright colors and aren't in the trees.

Western Duffey glaciers holding snow of acceptable quality. Banged out NE, E and NW runs including the much coveted CUBICLE Line.

Temps -3 at valley. -11 at 2600m. Winds light from SW but we could see wind effect from moderate to strong gusts at 2800m. Snow quality excellent with 30cms of low density overlaying a 4F to fist supportive base. Solar effect on true E and S slopes. Some Na sz1s on N facing steep slopes but not stepping down. Lots of solar triggered sluffing especially close to rocks so expect those trigger zones to be touchy

Yet more glaciers in the western Duffey. Probed around and couldn't hit empty air or glacier ice with a 320m probe so quantity of snow appears acceptable. -11 in valley in morning. +3 valley by afrernoon. Still low density snow on N, NW aspects. Some isolated wind affect from out flow katabatic winds. Some high clouds coming in towards afternoon but wx generally good. Winds nil at alpine

I've heard a lot of weather terminology, but "katabatic winds" is a new one for me.

It's just his orographic lexicon. It means that it was a semi decent day. Rontele was worse, but didn't ski half the pow.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

WB site has next years pass prices up...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's just his orographic lexicon. It means that it was a semi decent day. Rontele was worse, but didn't ski half the pow.
    Yah. Was definitely average top to bottom.

Not snowing much now. Storm tracks look South

More glacier blue ice shots

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    Was hoping Epic would drop to match Ikon but still not terrible

Western Duffey glaciers holding snow of acceptable quality. Banged out NE, E and NW runs including the much coveted CUBICLE Line.

Temps -3 at valley. -11 at 2600m. Winds light from SW but we could see wind effect from moderate to strong gusts at 2800m. Snow quality excellent with 30cms of low density overlaying a 4F to fist supportive base. Solar effect on true E and S slopes. Some Na sz1s on N facing steep slopes but not stepping down. Lots of solar triggered sluffing especially close to rocks so expect those trigger zones to be touchy
    Yet more glaciers in the western Duffey. Probed around and couldn't hit empty air or glacier ice with a 320m probe so quantity of snow appears acceptable. -11 in valley in morning. +3 valley by afrernoon. Still low density snow on N, NW aspects. Some isolated wind affect from out flow katabatic winds. Some high clouds coming in towards afternoon but wx generally good. Winds nil at alpine
    We pretty much followed you around. Thats our skin track up TO glacier. Were you the group lookers right of TO, we watched you from Vantage.
    Then hit the lookers left triple barrel couloir in your second image. Wouldn't be suprised if we are lunching in that image, or maybe just starting our skin.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    We pretty much followed you around. Thats our skin track up TO glacier. Were you the group lookers right of TO, we watched you from Vantage.
    Then hit the lookers left triple barrel couloir in your second image. Wouldn't be suprised if we are lunching in that image, or maybe just starting our skin.
    HEY- I've got pics of your track which was a sublime track. Looks like you nailed Foon Face too which is so cool to get with timing. PM me with emails and I'll shoot you the originals.

We skied the lookers right TO. The centre looked pretty special too but I've not hit the right side in good conditions like that top to bottom so that was great. I call the lookers left fork of TO glacier the AZN express for some stupid reason and the big face above it the Great wall of china.

Saw Crystal chair was down while occupied again for an hour today, after two hours of folks marooned last Friday...will be rolling the dice every ride the rest of the season it seems.

Duffey glacier skipping

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    Someone here suggested the Edge card was kaput after this season. Glad to see that it's not!

With nickel, skiingnow

Variability appears to be the name of the game. -3 at valley; - 5 at treeline warming up to -3 during day. Winds nil, skies clear then high clouds (we were in a big hole of relatively clear wx). 8cms HN at valley. Approx 15- 20 on lee slopes from SW winds.

As group of 3 all triggered sz 1s on N face at approx 1800m. Going back to re-examine found the new low-density snow sitting on 0.5mm SH which itself was sitting on approx 30cms of low-density snow. Reasonable conclusion is that the light-mod winds accompanying the morning's storm laid soft-slab on SH forming on 180306- 07 high pressure.

Another group reported sz 1s and 1.5 on moraine on Cayoosh Armchair.

From another person - "A friend i was suppose to meet at Keiths triggered 2,5 on vantage and another group triggered size 2"

We transferred to another bowl and skied NE and NNE slopes with no ski cut reactivity.

Least busy of the south coast mountains on a saturday? Mt seymour?

Hoping for a little Candian Aloha!

Aloha Whistler Mags!

Coming your way for a family trip, but I have two windows where I have a pass from teaching my little hula dancers to sway their hips on frozen water.

Wondering if there is a kind soul out there who might be willing to show me around the steeps in the Alpine. I have two windows: afternoon Sunday March 18 and all day Wed March 21.

Willing to trade Hawaii treats, lunch and liquid, or ***Binding Freedom Inserts*** for the hospitality. I read in the gear forum Canadians get screwed on the shipping. [IMO the BF is a better product than the Quiverkillers carried at Escape route. Their screws most certainly are!]

I’d obviously never expect you to ski with me if I can’t keep up! I’m a polite person.

To give you an idea of what you’d be getting into: I’m a 51 year old ex ski patroller who stays in pretty good shape from bike riding at sea level. But those of a certain age know that the muscles are sport specific as you get closer to your demise.

Growing up patrolling on 200 cm racing skis had its pros and cons. I can flex a ski with upper body in decent position in most, but certainly not all, conditions. I certainly struggle in heavy snow as it deepens, especially when it’s all cut up. The irony of that remark for Whistler is not lost on me. I don’t huck, so I’m not looking for directions to Air Jordan ;-D

Bonus points for cracks about what the hell an ex-ski patroller is doing in Makaha!

PM me and I can give you contact info if you are interested.

Have a great day and enjoy your beautiful mountain and those blue bird conditions today!

PS. A sincere thank you to LeeLau et al. for all the wonderful pictures and videos you post! They provide a geographically challenged skier much pleasure on many mornings.

I’d show you around. I’m actually in Makaha now for a week. But unfortunately out of town those dates you are there. Pretty nice wave you have out front!

[QUOTE=Atrain505;5284421]I’d show you around. I’m actually in Makaha now for a week. But unfortunately out of town those dates you are there. Pretty nice wave you have out front![/

Let me know if u need to borrow any surf toys. I got long,short, boogie, snorkel, fins. Take me 10-15 min to get em to u—less if u at Makaha Towers

PM and I’ll shoot u my #

This morning was as cold as it gets here —what with the front passed, wind and all.

Great longboard wave! Have you ever seen “Point Surf” (~6m faces)? It’s a whole diff beast.

Look up the Valley —yellow house green roof w solar
    Panels.

Central Duffey. -1 in morning. +8 in afternoon at valley. N Ne NW faces still of acceptable quality especially on Folsom Cash 107 skis

Bring globstopper