Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Lift tickets, sure. But would they raise the price of the Epic Pass North America-wide to pay for infrastructure improvements at one resort?

Either way I'm happy to see ski infrastructure taking the lead ahead of a waterpark in the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Lift tickets, sure. But would they raise the price of the Epic Pass North America-wide to pay for infrastructure improvements at one resort?
    They've got a pretty long list of improvement for their portfolio of resorts, though.

Either way I'm happy to see ski infrastructure taking the lead ahead of a waterpark in the timeline.
    True.

Hahah that old Wizard poster is awesome. Meh on the lifts, makes sense for WB for sure. I wouldn’t mind six packing all the quads, resort gets trashed just as quickly, but faster skiers who know where to go might get a lap or two extra in. That’s my experience with how Harmony and Crystal went down anyway.

Fitz 6 pack for the bike park would be really cool. Maybe new Creekside trails will finally take some summer traffic out of the village on busy weekends.

Gondy instead of two chairs sucks. Skiing back down to solar during a busy morning would basically not be an option anymore...

... not that I'm skiing WB anymore anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Gondy instead of two chairs sucks. Skiing back down to solar during a busy morning would basically not be an option anymore...

I kinda assumed they would extend Catskinner down lower and effectively replace Solar that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lafleche View Post
    Meh...+5 and sunny in December <> +5 and sunny in April. If you survived this fall in S2S, enjoy the sun.
    Absolutely. Was suprised how cold it was as soon as you got back into nth facing terrain. Sure it might be above 0, but the direct solar effect (im sure theres some science bitch term for that) has been fairly low so far. Some pinwheeling on direct south facing terrain, but not full 'shutdown the alpine immediately' yet that i've noticed.

Fingers crossed they come up with a good solution for the horstman t bar. Seeing glacier ice sticking out of the lift line right now doesn't give me much hope they will have it open before Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post

Didn't the release say there'd be a midstation? I assume it would be where the bottom of Solar is now. I guess on a busy day it could be difficult to load at the midstation, so fair point, but I think 4,000 skiers per hour is going to mitigate that.

Vail North aka Whistler Conditions 2017-18

Still some good snow up high on North Facing aspects. Lots of surface hoar growing though - hope it gets hot enough to melt out before the next snowfall...

I’m newish to Vancouver and still looking for more touring buddies. If anybody is interested in getting out into the backcountry in the next few days let me know. Hoping to hit up a bigger line or two during this high pressure - North facing couloirs could be good to go!

Last edited by lazyasian; 12-09-2017 at 08:28 PM.

PSA
    If you have a wb full seasons pass. You need to go to guest services and pickup your various bring a friend discount vouchers. You could probably get them on the day you need to use them as well but doing so in advance will probably save you some time. You can also prepurchase the tickets in advance as well if you want to avoid the rush
    Last edited by wizard604; 12-12-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard604 View Post
    PSA
    If you have a the wb full seasons pass. You need to go to guest services and pickup your various bring a friend discount vouchers. You could probably get them on the day you need to use them as well but doing so in advance will probably save you some time. You can also prepurchase the tickets in advance as well if you want to avoid the rush
    Good tip. What did you end up getting? I bought the WB pass in April, so I get 2x 50% off and I heard maybe some extra 25% off ones?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Good tip. What did you end up getting? I bought the WB pass in April, so I get 2x 50% off and I heard maybe some extra 25% off ones?
    You'll get 2x 50% and 6x 25% vouchers and bunch of 25% off sight seeing, which is the same as what I got. Also I was told that they are still planning to offer the discounted gift card deal. Details to be announced soon? But I wouldn't count on them notifying you. Just keep pestering them like I do

They have been terrible about keeping people informed this season. Look at the fiasco with the new passes not getting mailed out. Also the 2 for 1 fresh tracks deal is available but no mention of it anywhere.

rode groomers all day sat. realized i never ride down to the village (always park in creekside) so decided to do 1600m peak to village laps. never done that before but it was so fun. groomers were deserted most of the day so we were laying down trail-wide eurocarves. the app told me i rode 13000m.

came to tour the spearhead glacier on sun, but one of our party was sketched out by the skin up to the east col and the general lack of snow involved in getting to the spearhead, so we stashed packs and did glacier chair to village groomers again. that shit is so fun.

probably won't be doing that again for a while since i'm not going to get back up there before unlimited early season expires on friday (of course they made it a friday, those dirty fuckers), so it will be pow days only now.

on the gondola some dude said he paid $130 for a lift ticket. and it's still early season. un-fucking-believable. what are they going to charge when all terrain is open? $200?

praying for a storm before i head back to onterrible for xmas next thurs.

When I was up there on opening day a guy had a complete toddler level meltdown at the ticket window when he found out his student pass came with no discounts and he had to pay full price ($130) for his girlfriends day-pass to a partially open hill. It was entertaining to see how visibly cringing and uncomfortable everyone waiting in line was.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

[QUOTE=raypruit;5191295]rode groomers all day sat. realized i never ride down to the village (always park in creekside) so decided to do 1600m peak to village laps. never done that before but it was so fun. groomers were deserted most of the day so we were laying down trail-wide eurocarves. the app told me i rode 13000m.

The app tells me I skied the same vertical in meters and feet. Makes sense, cuz I got big feet.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard604 View Post
    You'll get 2x 50% and 6x 25% vouchers and bunch of 25% off sight seeing, which is the same as what I got. Also I was told that they are still planning to offer the discounted gift card deal. Details to be announced soon? But I wouldn't count on them notifying you. Just keep pestering them like I do

They have been terrible about keeping people informed this season. Look at the fiasco with the new passes not getting mailed out. Also the 2 for 1 fresh tracks deal is available but no mention of it anywhere.
    They didn't tell WB passholders who got the passes by mail about the vouchers. Note that these vouchers can be used when you are not present so you can give them as gifts

Epic Pass holders get a bunch of 25% of discount codes to use that they can give to friends but the passholder must be present for the discount to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    rode groomers all day sat. realized i never ride down to the village (always park in creekside) so decided to do 1600m peak to village laps. never done that before but it was so fun.
    It is fun. You get to find out just how much lactic acid your quad muscles can tolerate.

Bulletproof conditions continued today. Not too many people venturing off the groomers, though there was a little bit of soft snow to be found on solar aspects later in the day. Glad to finally see a bit of snow in the forecast, but it seems we won’t see a real refresh until Tuesday. Sounds about right since I’m leaving for Christmas on Monday evening!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Bulletproof conditions continued today. Not too many people venturing off the groomers, though there was a little bit of soft snow to be found on solar aspects later in the day. Glad to finally see a bit of snow in the forecast, but it seems we won’t see a real refresh until Tuesday. Sounds about right since I’m leaving for Christmas on Monday evening!
    Sucks. I hear surrounding slack country is also bullet proof crust? Looks like more mtn biking this weekend then. Hopefully Tuesday brings enough snow to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Sucks. I hear surrounding slack country is also bullet proof crust? Looks like more mtn biking this weekend then. Hopefully Tuesday brings enough snow to cover it up.
    Yup. We planned on going out to East Col to check it out but the crust was so bad we were worried about being able to skin back without ski crampons. Fun times.

Traveling YVR to Whistler & back late Jan. Is it insanity to plan on using a minivan FWD vs a 4WD suburban or similar (5 passengers). Never driven it before.

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Traveling YVR to Whistler & back late Jan. Is it insanity to plan on using a minivan FWD vs a 4WD suburban or similar (5 passengers). Never driven it before.
    Are you just driving to get to resort? If you're staying in the village theres no need for a car. You'll just end up pay 60 bucks a day to park at the hotel. I would look at using Whistler Connection (http://www.whistlerconnectiontravel.com/) They have coaches or private if you don't want to sit with the common folk. Or Pacific Coach Lines (http://www.pacificcoach.com/) which i think is coach only.

Pretty sure any of the hotels that are more than 2 minutes from the lift offer shuttles as well.

Again unless you have a pressing need for a vehicle i really wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    You'll just end up pay 60 bucks a day to park at the hotel.
    Regarding this^^^^

Is there multiday public parking available?

I’ve got a full size truck, and I’m guessing I won’t fit in the underground parking at the hotel. They’ve said they can accommodate me with their valet lot, but it’s $32/day for me to leave it parked for the week.

Wondering if I can park in a public lot cheaper?

Vail North aka Whistler Conditions 2017-18

Have free parking at our joint (Mountain Star) so was just thinking a minivan @ like $180 + gas seemed cost effective vs 5 x $60 on the shuttle...

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Regarding this^^^^

Is there multiday public parking available?

I’ve got a full size truck, and I’m guessing I won’t fit in the underground parking at the hotel. They’ve said they can accommodate me with their valet lot, but it’s $32/day for me to leave it parked for the week.

Wondering if I can park in a public lot cheaper?
    Pretty sure all of the day lots are non-overnight parking. i'm not 100% sure on whether any of the undergrounds do overnight but i would guess unlikely.
    What truck? I park my F150 underground everywhere and its fine. Its generally only super lifted 350's i see in the 'big boy' spot

@Dgilligan02 - $180 per day? Just make sure you get winter tires if you do get a rental. There have been much more frequent checks this winter and you wouldn't want to get stranded in squamish or horseshoe bay