Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Vail North aka Whistler Conditions 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    @Dgilligan02 - $180 per day? Just make sure you get winter tires if you do get a rental. There have been much more frequent checks this winter and you wouldn't want to get stranded in squamish or horseshoe bay
    $180 for the trip—another in our party is handling transport so I’m not sure on the exact deets of the rental cost. That’s just what he told me.

Good intel on the tires, I assume this is some road restriction like they have in UT up to LCC. Any link to specifics on this?

EDIT: found the link
    Last edited by dgilligan02; 12-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Pretty sure all of the day lots are non-overnight parking. i'm not 100% sure on whether any of the undergrounds do overnight but i would guess unlikely.
    What truck? I park my F150 underground everywhere and its fine. Its generally only super lifted 350's i see in the 'big boy' spot
    (Our hotel does offer underground parking for all guests @ $28/night, but I wonder about maneuverability in there & i’m not psyched to pay valet $32/night for the privilege of leaving it for a week)

3/4 ton crew cab long bed, OEM wheel size
    Not jacked up, but it is long

Worth taking a look at the Pop rideshare app as well. Usually lots of rides from Vancouver to Whistler on offer for around $15 each way. There’s also a Facebook group “Hitching the sea to sky” where you may be able to find a way up if you decide to forgo the van.

In other news, the little bit of new snow has done wonders for the resort. Groomers were skiing pretty well and the rest was dust on crust. Blackcomb Glacier got enough wind loading that there were spots where you wouldn’t hit the crust as well. Incredibly quiet for a Saturday - I guess with the lack of recent snow and the free early season edge card days ending people didn’t think it was worth heading up. Skied straight onto pretty much every lift!

There’s overnight at the whistler conference centre for I believe $10, but I believe you have to keep moving your car around (can’t just pay for a week at a time). I could be wrong, might be worth calling as it’s a centrally located parkade.

For the highway, you need at least ”M&S” rates tires which you can get from some of the rental companies. Real winter tires (snowflake icon) are recommended since they actually provide enhanced grip whereas M&S is just deeper tread with all season compound. Not sure if rental companies at YVR offer real winter tires or not. The highway is pretty well maintained by Canadian standards but gets dicey in really bad weather.

Glad some snow is finally showing up. Tuesday looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    There’s overnight at the whistler conference centre for I believe $10, but I believe you have to keep moving your car around (can’t just pay for a week at a time). I could be wrong, might be worth calling as it’s a centrally located parkade.
    $15 for 24 hours. See: https://www.whistler.ca/services/tra...etered-parking
    The conference center garage is pretty easy to maneuver in. Much better than most hotel garages would be.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    $15 for 24 hours. See: https://www.whistler.ca/services/tra...etered-parking
    The conference center garage is pretty easy to maneuver in. Much better than most hotel garages would be.
    Yeah this would be sweet if you could just leave it there. (at the least you'll have to go back every 24 hours to top up meter).
    The very bottom floor there is much much less crowded then the top ones. Takes a few switchbacks but all good once down low.

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Traveling YVR to Whistler & back late Jan. Is it insanity to plan on using a minivan FWD vs a 4WD suburban or similar (5 passengers). Never driven it before.
    Duno if its changed but I bunked with the owner of the Tilden agency during the 08 WC and she told me that people rent a car at YVR, turn it in at Whistler and booking it for the trip back to YVR, she said me if you had 3 or more people it was cheaper than taking the bus
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Duno if its changed but I bunked with the owner of the Tilden agency during the 08 WC and she told me that people rent a car at YVR, turn it in at Whistler and booking it for the trip back to YVR, she said me if you had 3 or more people it was cheaper than taking the bus
    This is what my parents & sister‘s family are doing

I made sure they confirmed that winter tires were part of the deal

Traveling YVR to Whistler & back late Jan. Is it insanity to plan on using a minivan FWD vs a 4WD suburban or similar (5 passengers). Never driven it before.
    No, it's not insanity. Most of the time a FWD minivan is going to be fine. I think it's worth taking a chance. If conditions are going to be bad just stop and buy chains.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    No, it's not insanity. Most of the time a FWD minivan is going to be fine. I think it's worth taking a chance. If conditions are going to be bad just stop and buy chains.
    They sometimes do tire checks on the highway. If you land at YVR anytime after 5pm, get your luggage, pick up your rental, drive north and get stopped in Squamish after 8pm for a tire check and get turned around for having not approved tires. You then are forced to get a room in Squamish and wait until morning to drive to Whistler.
    Ya, its worth the risk...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They sometimes do tire checks on the highway. If you land at YVR anytime after 5pm, get your luggage, pick up your rental, drive north and get stopped in Squamish after 8pm for a tire check and get turned around for having not approved tires. You then are forced to get a room in Squamish and wait until morning to drive to Whistler.
    Ya, its worth the risk...
    So you're saying you can get turned around even if you've got chains? This website seems to indicate chains are OK: https://shiftintowinter.ca/winter-dr...n/#winter-tire "Signs like these on B.C. highways mean you need winter tires or to be carrying chains in your vehicle." I'd also be surprised if rental companies are renting vehicles without an M+S stamp. Essentially that just means they are all-season tires.

Sadly you probably won't get turned round in a rental with all-season tires. The Provincial Ministry of Transportation counts all-season tires as 'winter' tires providing they have the M+S stamp on them (I believe all the ones sold in BC do) and 3.5 mm tread. I'm sure rental companies know that.

I suppose you might come across an RCMP officer who thinks (rightly) that all seasons with just over 3.5 mm tread aren't suitable for the road conditions.

My point is where are you going to buy chains in Squamish (at the tire check location) after 8pm at night?
    Renting a car in Vancouver, that does not see more than 20 days a year below freezing, and 3 days of snowfall annually, and you’re going to assume the rental car companies have M+S tires.
    Would you rent a car in San Fransico and drive to Kirkwood and assume that the San Fran rental companies have all season tires?
    Sure it’s worth the risk, what’s the vacation/trip worth the you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Renting a car in Vancouver, that does not see more than 20 days a year below freezing, and 3 days of snowfall annually, and you’re going to assume the rental car companies have M+S tires.
    Yes, I am. I just looked at my car and the tires are marked M+S. These are the OEM tires that came with the car. I'm very confident that rentals will have approved winter tires.

Book the minivan and check the weather the day before. I've done the drive quite a few times and have only had a couple tough trips. If it looks like snow between Squamish and whistler, change your rental to 4wd.

And, with you staying at Mountain Star, you will be glad you have a vehicle to get around at night. Shuttles up that way are a PITA.

Anyone know what the 7 eleven discounted WB tickets are currently going for

Anybody have any experience with this?...
    We are in the upper village and there's not enough snow for them to run the free magic carpet here that's open to the public. Only the ski school one is open. The wife and I will now have to bring our toddler all the way up to whistler mid station to use the Olympic area. I'll use one of my edge days and head to the alpine in the afternoon. The 3 year old is free. (You still need to get them an epic pass btw). We are trying to avoid having to spend $50+ on the sightseeing ticket for my wife to accompany on the gondola. Any tricks?

I gotta agree with Dee on this one. Why drive when someone else can. I spend as little time on that highway as possible in the winter. Would happily pay to have someone drive and me be drinking some road beers in the back.

Same goes with the shuttles in town. Sure from the benchlands you can drive and park. But then you can't get loaded and you still gotta pay. Better of taking the free bus or a cab which would be sub $10.

trying to decide between baker and whis. did the whis alpine open today?

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    http://www.whistleralpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    thanks! been looking for a replacement for this: http://www.kevinlowe.ca/lifts.php?showall=

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    Yeah it opened but if I was more conveniently located I'd probably opt for tree skiing at Baker. 90% of the nicest snow was below 2,000 m today.

High alpine around Whistler get wind hammered? Was supposed to ski today but got fucked over by the flu instead.

I should have gone to baker. Alpine was totally wind fucked and whis alpine lifts didn't open until 11. I assume because of slabbiness, but I blame Vail anyways

I left whistler at 10 because waiting in line wasnt worth it. I think some people stood for a long time at harmony.
    Blackcomb was decent today in the trees. Even up top had some nice pockets of great snow. No lines anywhere either.

Dave murray downhill back to the car brought attention to the fact my skis haven't been tuned in almost a decade.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.