Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 159
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    374
    See if you can rent or borrow a metal detector.. Saw a lot of ppl digging for skis the last few days.

    Yep.. today was all time. Full on storm skiing with free refills run after run. Last time I checked over 55cm had fallen since yesterday and was still puking at closing. Of course you know what that means. Head back up tomorrow to clean up

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Sick day today. Was super pumped to be out there. Things were refreshing and crowds were much smaller than expected.

    Ended the day on a downer though... lost a ski and was never able to find it despite an hour and a half of digging. Planning on heading back tomorrow with shovel and probe. And these were my nice pow boards - switched out from the rock skis after seeing how good coverage was on Friday!

    Anybody have any pointers on finding a buried ski?
    There is a guy with a metal detector who you can pay to come out and help find the ski. Don't have his details, but ski patrol probably have his number. He doesn't like going into really steep terrain though. My daughters friend lost a new ski first day skiing them. Her friend spent 6 hours searching. They got the metal detector guy out next day and he found it in 30 minutes. Ski school also have there own metal detector, and someone who specialises in it, just in case you happen to know anyone working in ski school.

    You probably already know this, but the ski is always further up the hill than you think. Especially early season conditions when it has probably snagged on something beneath the surface.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
    There is a guy with a metal detector who you can pay to come out and help find the ski. Don't have his details, but ski patrol probably have his number. He doesn't like going into really steep terrain though. My daughters friend lost a new ski first day skiing them. Her friend spent 6 hours searching. They got the metal detector guy out next day and he found it in 30 minutes. Ski school also have there own metal detector, and someone who specialises in it, just in case you happen to know anyone working in ski school.

    You probably already know this, but the ski is always further up the hill than you think. Especially early season conditions when it has probably snagged on something beneath the surface.
    My experience is that the ski usually travels farther down the hill than you think. But our different experiences might just underscore the difference between what a ski does in heavy coastal snow and what it does in light interior B.C. snow.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,415
    Worth a watch if you haven't seen it... good camera work and just pure riding. Cool to see the resort from some different angles as well. The Stan Rey Creekside road gap on hardpack is crazy.


  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,353
    amazing weekend, storm skiing yesterday was so good! Bayshores ski out is also G2G, skis on right into driveway end of day, love it

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Van
    Posts
    647
    monday was a stunner.
    yesterday ... there she goes.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,415
    At least the timing of the deluge is a small fuck you to Vail... all those Epic pass holders coming up from the US for Thanksgiving are gonna be sorely disappointed.

    Could be worse, Squamish and Baker are getting a lot more.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    143
    looks like temps are dropping in time for the weekend though

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,332
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    At least the timing of the deluge is a small fuck you to Vail... all those Epic pass holders coming up from the US for Thanksgiving are gonna be sorely disappointed.
    Yeah, but they've already spent their money on the card, so Vail got their money. I'd say it fucks the skiers a lot more than it fucks Vail. But we all know the weather is dicey this time of year. Hell, it can be dicey all winter in these parts.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, but they've already spent their money on the card, so Vail got their money. I'd say it fucks the skiers a lot more than it fucks Vail. But we all know the weather is dicey this time of year. Hell, it can be dicey all winter in these parts.
    Think most of Vail's money comes from real estate and food sales, so it should fuck them too, regardless of passes already being purchased. That being said I'd much rather have more snow than fuck Vail!

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Sick day today. Was super pumped to be out there. Things were refreshing and crowds were much smaller than expected.

    Ended the day on a downer though... lost a ski and was never able to find it despite an hour and a half of digging. Planning on heading back tomorrow with shovel and probe. And these were my nice pow boards - switched out from the rock skis after seeing how good coverage was on Friday!

    Anybody have any pointers on finding a buried ski?
    The rain might save you on this one, some melt/consolidation and it could stick up out of the snow.

    I lost a ski and tried to find it with a detector and didn't find fuck all. In the end it was higher up Teetering Rock than I thought it was. I hiked up in late summer and found it.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    looks like temps are dropping in time for the weekend though
    True, but American Thanksgiving is Thurs/Fri so really what would be nice is for new Epic passholders to have a negative first experience at WB and not come back. I'm just being a dickhead anyway, hoping for decent skiing by Sunday for all.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Van
    Posts
    647
    ^^ keep your head up, chap.

    I think we should all just hope the fzl doesnt rapidly drop so that we are not stuck with an ice rink for a month. Best opening days in almost a decade, with 5 minute lineups on Sunday afternoon.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 7.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	216980
    Last edited by Schemeboat; 11-22-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: need to stay positive

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    374
    EPICMIX App

    The WBPLUS app for tracking your vertical, lift status and other on mountain activities, is no longer supported. It's been replaced by Vail's EpicMix app which has more or less the same features. So if you like to track your vert and days etc like I do, you can still do so.

    There are a few irritating things like no carry forward of your previous years stats and measurements in imperial instead of metric. Hopefully they will tweak for a future version.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,085
    From a 210cm base to a 124cm base in 3 days. Ouch.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,415
    If anyone is up today, are the temp boundaries open on both mountains? Debating what day to ski this weekend. I doubt there will be enough snow by tomorrow morning to cover up the rain crust, whereas Sunday will have more snow but looking like the FL (and avalanche hazard) could spike pretty high.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    56
    The Whis was great yesterday. Felt like about 6" of fresh and there was almost nobody out there - longest lift line was probably about a minute wait. Gotta love those sleeper days.

    Looks like more snow coming in tonight and tomorrow too, should make for a good weekend!

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,415
    Good to hear itís turning around. Anyone hearing rumours on additional lifts opening this weekend? Guessing it could be another week or so depending on the snow.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    376
    Thinking about pissing off the Whistler mayor and daytripping up on Saturday to use the free early season days on my EDGE card. If they only have a handful of lifts open IDK if the 10 hour roundtrip drive is gonna be worth it, but this is the last opportunity for me to use a free early season day and wasting free things feels wrong.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Van
    Posts
    647
    ^^ might be decent skiing.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Peak chair is opening Saturday. My mate told me so. He would know. He stands at the bottom of it washin windows at the whore house.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224
    they were spinning glacier the past few days. Haven't bothered to ask around about opening dates. Its boney as fuck up there, and just enough snow forecast to lightly cover the rocks.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    squamish
    Posts
    18
    Boney as fuck is a stretch...but maybe more applicable to darkside. I'll give you partly boney with a chance of coreshots. In spite of shit vis whistler bowl skied well yesterday - but shale slope was mainly kkchhhhhht kkchhht with a little pffffff. No sharks at all.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Good to hear it’s turning around. Anyone hearing rumours on additional lifts opening this weekend? Guessing it could be another week or so depending on the snow.
    Saturday is Peak and Harmony

  25. #125
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Saturday is Peak and Harmony
    Whoop whoop, good to see more terrain slowly opening up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •