Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    fkn awesome dude. we're doing it tomorrow, but you know, during the day. no need for glacier kit i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    fkn awesome dude. we're doing it tomorrow, but you know, during the day. no need for glacier kit i guess?
    Glaciers are well bridged.

Out-effing-standing. #blessed.

Amazing effort and footage- the spectre is something else, never even heard of those! If I get to do a fraction of the awesome shit you've done in my lifetime, I'll be thrilled. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    If you don't want to ski Lee's tracks, the far skiers right / lookers left couloir is fun. I called it the triple barrel though im sure it has a good name. Definitely cut out a cpl of small slabs in there which caught me by surprise as i thought it would be loaded, not pressed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triple Barrel.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	228784

Monday still looks good if anyone's going up there. Was trying to update AvCan MIN but the phone app glitched and I didnt' get around to it. This is all a bit stale-dated

Spetch had 4 tracks in it so i guess the bootpack we stuck in came in handy

We also left the 2 skiers left couloirs untouched on Stonecrop. When we did Stonecrop last week it had windpress on couloir left-centre. The line sneaking the Matier Glacier and the rock wall of Slalok proper had the best snow for lap2 but you have to check speed at about the 1800m mark as there is some exposed blue ice. 2 days ago the entire face looked reset by the approx new 12cms of snow we skied (and sluffed).

The far far chute left that drops onto Tszil glacier also was untouched. It isn't salt and pepper rocks as usual

Probably get a reset mid-week too as temps are still cold.

Posted this in the other thread but obvs rely on your own routefinding. I probed the route up Anniversary and up Matier Gl mid Feb and it had over 320cms of bridging even then. We've had over 3m + snow up Duffey on glaciers since then so its reasonable to assume that bridging is fine.

Left harness and gear in packs and never needed it but i don't recommend glacier travel at night sans gear unless you're pretty comfy around slots and crevasses.

^ Speaking of MIN reports, thanks for all the entries this season Lee. Great for the #southcoasttouring gaper/weekend warrior like myself.

Monday still looks good if anyone's going up there. Was trying to update AvCan MIN but the phone app glitched and I didnt' get around to it. This is all a bit stale-dated

Spetch had 4 tracks in it so i guess the bootpack we stuck in came in handy

We also left the 2 skiers left couloirs untouched on Stonecrop. When we did Stonecrop last week it had windpress on couloir left-centre. The line sneaking the Matier Glacier and the rock wall of Slalok proper had the best snow for lap2 but you have to check speed at about the 1800m mark as there is some exposed blue ice. 2 days ago the entire face looked reset by the approx new 12cms of snow we skied (and sluffed).

The far far chute left that drops onto Tszil glacier also was untouched. It isn't salt and pepper rocks as usual

Probably get a reset mid-week too as temps are still cold.

Posted this in the other thread but obvs rely on your own routefinding. I probed the route up Anniversary and up Matier Gl mid Feb and it had over 320cms of bridging even then. We've had over 3m + snow up Duffey on glaciers since then so its reasonable to assume that bridging is fine.

Left harness and gear in packs and never needed it but i don't recommend glacier travel at night sans gear unless you're pretty comfy around slots and crevasses.
    stonecrop has been completely gangbanged. we counted 17 that hit it today in total. i think my group of 2 were 5&6. norton we were hoping to hit lookers left chute but 1 party had already hit it and there isn't really room for more than 2 tracks. must have hit it after lee on sat. having never ridden it from the summit (only twice from 3/4 up in a whiteout), we wanted to completely open it up so we opted for the main chute. it was a combination of tracks + buried windcrust but we still found fresh lines on the very right and left. awesome snow up high. not blower but fast and fun with hints of windcrust.

i was just happy to summit in good weather after so many failed attempts. what a spectacular view from up there.

many ppl opted to ascend to the matier glacier lookers right of the moraine, which seems like a total deathtrap should any of the icefall release.

many ppl opted to ascend to the matier glacier lookers right of the moraine, which seems like a total deathtrap should any of the icefall release.
    Oh hey what're the chances.

Just posted this

Serac fall on Matier Glacier March 18 at 3.15pm. Not my video. Reposted with permission. Longer version on AvCan MIN.

Public service announcement. Hanging around under glacier icefalls is a bad idea anytime. Mid day heating does not improve your chances.

No involvements reported. Just a bum sliding snowshoer near the moraine who may have left a brown streak.

Video on FB. Cant really do link so you'll have to search

Dont think tgis will work https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...6&id=712016625

^ holy shit. we must have just missed that. got back to the car at 4.

gangbangage:

not quite blower or untracked, but still the best run of my season so far:

Inbounds today at 12.30 misty crystalized teardrops of a unicorn pow

Not quite the misty crystalized teardrops of a unicorn pow, but also inbounds today around 1:30.

Name:	IMG_6031.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	229584
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Unicorn tears of misty effervescent quintuple overhead blower pow.

15-20cms of low density snow overlaying a pencil layer below 1650m to fist density above 1650m probably from mid week warming event. -8 at valley -10 at treeline. Skies clear S of Duffey lake road. Broken cloud N of road. Winds nil.

Poor cohesion of storm snow to underlying layer meant lots of sluffs (but not slab)

Any1 wanna ski tour this week?

Sent from my SM-A520W using TGR Forums mobile app

Saturday was another day of acceptable ski conditions on the Musical Bumps. Storm snow was settling well. Heard of a few close calls/skier accidentals across the Spearhead this weekend. You can see the SA 1.5 from Friday on Flute Cruiser in the background of this pic. Ran into the guide who posted the MIN report about it, said the skiers cut under the roll and released above (why would you do that...)

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	679.3 KB 
ID:	229852

Beautiful shot gramboh!

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwurrel View Post
    Any1 wanna ski tour this week?

What you thinking for touring. I have tomorrow off. Will likely battle my way around the blackcomb slackcountry after riding the resort for a bit.

@gramboh also making the bumps look steep!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    What you thinking for touring. I have tomorrow off. Will likely battle my way around the blackcomb slackcountry after riding the resort for a bit.

Going up to joffre shoulder then cayoush next few days

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post

Haha, it’s all about the angle. Funny enough my wife looked at a pic from that day and said “that looks pretty flat”, which I then used to segue into how safe our approach to backcountry skiing is.

Had a nice day on Whistler, some soft turns off the Peak as it hadn't opened yesterday. Wind protected areas on Flute skied well considering the modest precip the last couple days. Some burly cornice chunks in most of the bowls. Harveys/Robertsons had a good 3cm crust on everything, not sure if that was the brief sun or freeze/thaw. Hoping April snow will lead to a strong finish after a modest March.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Had a nice day on Whistler, some soft turns off the Peak as it hadn't opened yesterday. Wind protected areas on Flute skied well considering the modest precip the last couple days. Some burly cornice chunks in most of the bowls. Harveys/Robertsons had a good 3cm crust on everything, not sure if that was the brief sun or freeze/thaw. Hoping April snow will lead to a strong finish after a modest March.
    past two days were really fun. tuesday was awesome. windbuff/cream cheese but lots of support and rebound. Few faceshots but felt like a real pow day with no bottom scrapes. Yesterday there was still lots of leftovers.

Hearing news of a fatality in the Whistler area from yesterday? Well known local? RIP .