Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone going to see Blade Runner 2049?

I guess I'll have to drag my ass to the theater for this one. Between the three cuts, I think I've seen the original somewhere around 25 times by now.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I guess I'll have to drag my ass to the theater for this one. Between the three cuts, I think I've seen the original somewhere around 25 times by now.
    Thread title incorrect - should be "any body NOT going to see Bladerunner 2049?".

We'll watch it when Netflix streams it

I go to about one movie per year. This will be it.

Saw it today. Definitely worth seeing it on a big screen. Would like after seeing 2049 to find one of the cuts of the original on a big screen.

Fantastic.
    Came in fully expecting a Star Wars prequel level sequel and came out feeling like it was an Empire Strikes Back level sequel. They captured the whole steampunk post apocalyptic vibe of the original even the soundtrack sounded like Vangelis. Scifi at it's best IMO.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

There are very few films these days that pull me into a theater. The ones that have in the recent past share a common thread though, they were all Scifi. I will definitely be seeing this on the largest screen possible.

watching the 1982 version now- haven't seen it prior and getting prepped for the new one
    The movies in the theatres have not been compelling me to go lately but psyched for this one

also rcv'd 2 magazines this months that Harry Ford was on the cover of- wired and GQ
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    watching the 1982 version now- haven't seen it prior and getting prepped for the new one
    The movies in the theatres have not been compelling me to go lately but psyched for this one

also rcv'd 2 magazines this months that Harry Ford was on the cover of- wired and GQ
    1982 version? The theatrical cut with the voice-over narration? FYI, both Scott and Ford have pretty much disavowed the theatrical cut. It's just totally cheesedick narration written by some studio hacks who had absolutely nothing to do with the production of the film. Ford really hates the narration; he was contractually forced to do it against his will and he banged out the lamest Sam Spade schtick he could in two days. The 2007 version is Scott's preferred edition; it's a digitally remastered director's cut with an additional few touch-ups on a couple continuity errors.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-07-2017 at 02:29 PM.

ok good to know- I missed a couple decades of tv throughout my teens and 20's so had no idea there were 2 old versions- sacrebleu! then another new one coming out this yr- that's a heck of a lot of remakes
    Thnx for the insight. I'll pull up the '07 version to watch- although now it is getting to be too nice out so will be this evening's feature
    skid luxury

wait I am confused- the 1982 version is called bladerunner 2007? alright I am reading the wikipedia on it so will figure it out

I want one of those bubble hairdryers that I just saw on the old version tho
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    The 2007 version is Scott's preferred edition; it's a digitally remastered director's cut with an additional few touch-ups on a continuity error.
    "Final Cut"
    This was my favorite of the three.

1. Original
    2. DIrectors cut
    3. Final cut

ok ok I see - the cuts- thanks guys
    skid luxury

This scene (from the original 3) always resonated for me

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    ok good to know- I missed a couple decades of tv throughout my teens and 20's so had no idea there were 2 old versions- sacrebleu! then another new one coming out this yr- that's a heck of a lot of remakes
    Thnx for the insight. I'll pull up the '07 version to watch- although now it is getting to be too nice out so will be this evening's feature
    Scott was fired by the studio after turning in his edit. Hard to believe now, but true. He didn't have the stature he does now. The studio wanted to make a sci-fi action film to play off of Ford's Han Solo/Indiana Jones persona. The execs were pissed off they didn't get one; they didn't know how to market it plus it was way over budget. Test audiences didn't know what to think about the director's edit so the studio panicked and added the voice-over narration to tell viewers what to think. Then they tacked on a happy ending scene because thats what dipshit studio execs always want to do to every film. It's still a good film but it's hardly the film that Scott was aiming for. Scott was pushing the question of whether Deckard is himself a replicant but without ever expressly mentioning it in any dialogue. It's an implicit question that arises out of the story when Deckard learns Tyrell has solved the problem of pacifying replicants by tricking them into believing they are human. Scott's vision placed that ambiguity front and center but the voice-over (a cliche gumshoe detective style narration) pretty much ruins it. The nuance gets buried under the narration along with the awesome Vangelis soundtrack. The studio's "safer" spoon-feed-the-audience version is fundamentally at cross purposes to Scott's central themes.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-07-2017 at 04:06 PM.

^ sure you've read it but reminds me of Gilliam/Brazil and him stealing the print.

Spoiler for old flick-

Doesn't the Unicorn origami kind of nail it down as him as a replicant?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

How does one find the home viewing preferred version of the older film? Have Wifi and DVD player and subscriptions to netflix and amazon prime. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How does one find the home viewing preferred version of the older film? Have Wifi and DVD player and subscriptions to netflix and amazon prime. Thanks

Final cut on Amazon prime rental.

^^ Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    ^ sure you've read it but reminds me of Gilliam/Brazil and him stealing the print.

Spoiler for old flick-

Doesn't the Unicorn origami kind of nail it down as him as a replicant?
    It does in Ridley Scott's mind. The unicorn dream wasn't cut from the theatrical release because it wasn't in the original edit he turned in to the studio. Scott inserted that scene in the director's cut release, after many years of people asking him that question. When they were filming, Ford and the writers proceeded from the assumption that Deckard is human. Only Scott believed Deckard was a replicant - but his larger point is, when it's impossible for someone like Deckard or Rachael to truly know whether they are human or replicant, then any real distinctions between the two have been obliterated. Enslaving replicants is no different from enslaving humans. Everyone loves Rutger Hauer's final soliloquy, but I think the more important point comes here:

Last edited by neckdeep; 10-07-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How does one find the home viewing preferred version of the older film?[/URL]
    Final Cut edition now in 4K HDR glory with a Dolby Atmos track! This is the version I have: https://store.kaleidescape.com/movie...final-cut-1982

Do not stream this one or you're missing out sound-wise. The 5 disc "Complete Collector's Edition" Blu-Ray set can be found pretty cheap and it's got so many extras it's ridiculous. The single disc Final Cut disc is only $10. Go get it.

So I just watched the new movie last night and holy balls was I amazed. When I first heard about BR2049, I was SO worried it was going to be just another crappy reboot/cash grab. Thankfully they made a proper sequel, and it was magnificently done. I'm a huge fan of the original, and I have to say that while I like it more overall, BR2049 totally honored it and did as well as any fanboy like me could have ever wanted. Lots of people were worried about the casting of Ryan Gosling, but damn did he nail the role. Same with Ford (of course). I think everybody was superbly cast. Can't wait to watch it again! It really is a masterpiece and I'm still reeling from it.

DO NOT WAIT FOR THIS ONE TO COME TO STREAMING! Watch this one at the movie theater and make sure they have the volume cranked to 11. Our did and it was amazing. I will definitely be buying this as soon as it comes out on home video...after I see it a couple more times at the theater.

EDIT: P.S. Make sure to not load up on giant sodas or anything and hit the head before it starts because it is a long movie. Flew by for me, but my eyeballs were floating by the end of it. Movie was so good that not ONE person got up during the film, but the second the credits started rolling it was a stampede to the bathrooms. Haha.

Didn't ever think how cultish this flick could become.
    Seriously intrigued by the grubby slant on the future.
    Frequent amc/cinepolis client

linky linky? save me the drilling for final cut for the SO before 2049 \>
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Didn't ever think how cultish this flick could become.
    Seriously intrigued by the grubby slant on the future.
    Frequent amc/cinepolis client

linky linky? save me the drilling for final cut for the SO before 2049 \>
    Here ya go:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-r...?skuId=6036100

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-r...?skuId=2251041

I found my order on Amz for the 5 disc collector's edition. Paid $30 for it (worth every penny). Now they're going for $80 used. WTF? I've never seen these so-called "collector's editions" actually going up in value. Skip that I guess and just get the Final Cut Blu-Ray. Preferably in 4K.

Saw it, and it was amazing in every aspect, especially in 3D. Go see it on the big screen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums